What's new

Roughest/Worst coaster you've ridden?

spacebum

Roller Poster
The worst one for me would be Tinfusion. Mainly as it just feels to compact I used to love it back when I was younger now its just torture. The roughest ride ive had was on Grand National. but as its a woodie I dont really count it as bad as rough steel coasters.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Funnily enough I found Baco and Stampida equally revolting. I guess you feel it a little more on Stampida as you're a little less supported in the seats, also being thrown into corners just HURTS. At least Baco goes in a semi straight line.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
spacebum said:
The worst one for me would be Tinfusion. .

Oh - you need to ride some of the bad SLCs! The Mind erasers at six flags parks, or Morey's great nor' easter would be a good(?!) place to start to see just how bad they can get!

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I'm holding onto the hope that one day, Portaventura will close Baco for a season to fix it. They must know how bad those turns after the launch are? My simple (but costly) solution is replacing all the track between the launch and brakes with the much smoother and stronger next gen Intamin track and slapping some Skyrush trains on it. Boom, they would now have the best single launch coaster in Europe (Helix is multi launch so not included here).

If they want to be cheap they could just throw some standard accelerator trains with widened chassis' because the track is wider than normal and Maverick's new softer restraints and call it a day. Though my first solution allows it to continue being a winged coaster.

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion. It used to not be so bad, but I rode it last in '09 and that thing beat the ever-living hell out of me. Had a big bruise on my back for weeks.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Not quite getting all the hatred for Baco, I quite liked it to be honest. Wouldn't say I loved it, but yeah, I didn't think it was that bad.
The Ultimate... yes it's pretty rough in places, but rough in a good way. Awesome ride!
I've only been on 2 standard SLC's - Flight Deck at CW and Condor at Walibi and yep, they were both pretty disgusting but CW's Volare (Timewarp) was much, much worse.
Tornado at M&D's was another pain machine, hated that one too.

But for me, the ultimate square-wheeler was Ghost Rider. Jesus! What a death-trap. Even after the upcoming renovation, I'm not in a hurry to go back there.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
cjbrandy said:
I'm holding onto the hope that one day, Portaventura will close Baco for a season to fix it. They must know how bad those turns after the launch are? My simple (but costly) solution is replacing all the track between the launch and brakes with the much smoother and stronger next gen Intamin track and slapping some Skyrush trains on it. Boom, they would now have the best single launch coaster in Europe (Helix is multi launch so not included here).

If they want to be cheap they could just throw some standard accelerator trains with widened chassis' because the track is wider than normal and Maverick's new softer restraints and call it a day. Though my first solution allows it to continue being a winged coaster.
It has nothing to do with the track, it's the train vibrating rapidly what makes it so rough.

jay37415

Mega Poster
I never had the pleasure of riding SOB but I heard it was bad. BUt there are three on my list:

1. Steel Phantom - the original would beat you up so bad that you had to hold a handrail to walk off.
2. Georgia Cyclone - only time I ever have been bruised riding a coaster.
3. Shockwave - made the mistake of setting the seat too high (guys know what I mean).

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
[quote="owentaylor121"[/quote]
It has nothing to do with the track, it's the train vibrating rapidly what makes it so rough.[/quote]

Ok but I reckon a better quality track would also help though. B&Ms super thick and strong track gives smooth rides whilst Gerstlauers dodgy track work with their tri rail track can give noticeable rattly rides for example.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Mack uses the track too, and has pretty smooth rides.

I think it's due to the wide trains, and how they run with the wind(or something like that)

Intricks

Strata Poster
The roughest/worst steel coasters I've had the "pleasure" of experiencing are:

- Desperado - Just such a terrible ride. The height and layout gives the illusion of something fun, but the bunny hops lacked airtime and the transitions were so terrible it felt like my spine was knocked out of place. Felt that ride for a week >_<
- Shockwave at KD - This ride was ridden only once, but that single ride was enough. The ride itself is ok, but that lone helix of death made that ride go from "General Fun" to "Get me the **** off this" in half a second. Ugh, so vile and glad to see it is gone.

For wooden coasters:

- Wildcat at HP - No matter how many times I ride it, where I sit or how early in the season I've jumped in line, the ride just ends up making me lose hope for it over and over again. The Millennium Flyers do **** all for the ride, as they tend to shuffle back and forth during the turns. The ride needs an entire rebuild from the ground up.

- Mean Streak - I hate this ride ever since I first rode it. I have given it plenty of chances over the years, and it has only delivered once. The only time I have given the coaster a direct re-ride was this past "Coaster Appreciation BS Day" in which the entry was cheap and they were running all but a few coasters - in the rain. The trim was turned off and the wet track just had the train actually giving some airtime (shocking, I know). There was barely any shuffling til the last couple of turns, but the ride was vastly superior than any other time I have ridden it. Since Cedar Point will more than likely refuse to change the situation with the ride though, it shall sit as one of the worst/roughest wooden coasters Ive ever had the chance of experiencing.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I had the exact same experience on Mean Streak - in the rain, with the trims off. Such a vastly different ride, the way Dinn Corp. meant for it to run.

Mean Streak is one of the roughest wooden coasters in existence, true. However, there have been sadly worse woodies in Ohio, ala Son of Beast, Villain, and Raging Wolf Bobs.

mouse

Giga Poster
Tonnere De Zeus was rough but in a good way imo. It really flings you around and feels very out of control but not uncomfortably so - that's why it's my no.1.
The Big One on the other hand was very uncomfortable for me, it was was very juddery and vibrated harshly for the whole duration. That paired with the uncomfortable seats made it a pretty bad experience. I may aswell slide down Mount Rushmore on a slap of concrete, it would have a similar ride experience.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
nemesisfan45 said:
Furous Baco is surely the worst.

I'd love to know why it's so poor, does it get progressively worse?

I'm going to cite Nemesis Inferno here- the further away seats are from the track, the more vibrations they pick up. Unlike B&M wing coasters where seating is level wirth the track, Baco has riders above the track which adds another range of motion to vibrate in.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Hyde said:
Mean Streak is one of the roughest wooden coasters in existence

Interesting, I remember reading a review that said it was pretty smooth and its worst offence was being boring.

Intricks

Strata Poster
The only time it is considered smooth is when you are either blitzed out of your mind, or you get one of two rare occurances: no trim brake or ride it during the rain.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
nemesisfan45 said:
Furous Baco is surely the worst.

I'd love to know why it's so poor, does it get progressively worse?

Speaking of which, today this signs have been spotted in the waiting area for Furius Baco.

th720_b74d1e98c2c6de0191aa1b83747efa47.jpg

Apparently, along with these signs admitting the ride is more than just "intense" in the outer seats, the outer seats from rows 1, 5 and 6 are shut until further notice...

Pretty rough time for Furius Baco, right? :lol:

nadroJ

CF Legend
Baco and Coaster Express. Must be something about Spain haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hutch

Strata Poster
Pre-Wicked Cyclone was pretty bad, though I think somewhat enjoyable. Goliath's new vekoma trains made the ride trash too.

Last edited: