What's new

Rides you miss

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
At Alton, I don't miss the corky, as it was frankly too rough, but like lots fo you, I do miss the thunderlooper, and especially the black hole. There just aren't enough dark rides in the uk anymore. Worse tho' is when a classic ride is destroyed by 'improvements', such as the abomination that is duel.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Definitely Black Hole in Alton Tower it was the best date-ride ever.

You sit in between someone elses legs..in the dark, peeerfect. The layout wa cool too.

A

Anonymous

SPACE INVADER
BLACK HOLE
CORKSCREW
TRAMANIZER
DEJA VU
SUPERMAN RIDE OF STEEL

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Original Runaway Train at Gullivers World Warrington. Might be nostalgia and the fact I hadn't riden many rides at the time, but it was amazing.

Corkscrew will never be missed by me, but I wish I had gone on Black Hole.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I dont get why people miss the Black Hole and Corkscrew for being good rides?

I miss them both (kinda) because they were apart of my childhood trips to Alton, but as rides go, they weren't that good.

Now then, a ride I miss for being an awsome ride would be The New Beast at Alton, that was just immense!

Niagra Falls and Runaway Train at AA are the obvious ones to miss too, along with G-Force at FI.

And I suppose I do miss Space Mountain: De a Terre ala Lune :(

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
This
Martyn B said:
I dont get why people miss the Black Hole and Corkscrew for being good rides?

I miss them both (kinda) because they were apart of my childhood trips to Alton, but as rides go, they weren't that good.

Plus this
Martyn B said:
Now then, a ride I miss for being an awsome ride would be The New Beast at Alton, that was just immense!

Equals fail! :lol:

The New Beast was pretty much the same layout as The Black Hole. It was an alright coaster, but like Black Hole, Corkscrew and Thunderlooper - pure Aberystwyth

I've never missed any of them to be honest, but I do have a nostalgic yearning for the four man bob - but I know it was rubbish, I just loved it as a kid (I know it's rubbish because it was the same model as Space Invader at Blackpool - which I still find fun, but rubbish) :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Oh c'mon surely you know how better the New Beast was compared to the Black Hole? It was much bigger, faster and alot more intense.

Though maybe again it was just a childhood thing for me, as it did close in 1997, so it was a huge ride for me then ( I remember being proud of myself for going on it :lol:), yet BlackHole closed in 2006, and was kinda small for what there was around at that time.

But still, I remember it being fantabulastic!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's the fact that you're falling for exactly the same thing really...

If The New Beast had been there alongside Black Hole in 2006 and shut at the same time, I guarantee you'd be sayngi exactly the same thing.

The only reason you think differently is because it's been such a long time since you rode it and have forgotten. A lot of the people here likewise were very young when Black Hole closed, so remember it being much bigger and better than it was.

I remember both clearly, and both I would happily skip each visit - both a bit pants really.

marc

CF Legend
The Black Hole was better as it was in the dark, and the 1st version of it was even darker than the newer version was.

For me I miss the Alton Mouse as that was fun, but Thunder Looper the most. But I bet if I rode either now I was ask the question of why I missed them.

Like Furie though I would not bother to queue for either the Black Hole or the New Beast, I had simply done them to many times and there was Nemesis :)

Does anyone else remember Space Station Zero at Thorpe? Or am I the only one who rode it? lol.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Yes, another little classic, that one skipped my memory too!

furie said:
It's the fact that you're falling for exactly the same thing really...

If The New Beast had been there alongside Black Hole in 2006 and shut at the same time, I guarantee you'd be sayngi exactly the same thing.

The only reason you think differently is because it's been such a long time since you rode it and have forgotten. A lot of the people here likewise were very young when Black Hole closed, so remember it being much bigger and better than it was.

I remember both clearly, and both I would happily skip each visit - both a bit pants really.

I totally get what you're saying, and I do agree with what you're saying, but I reckon I would still enjoy the New Beast if it were around today, mainly due to sentimental values. I loved it as a child, just like I did the Runaway Mine Train at Alton, and I still love that now, yet I never felt any sort of love towards the Black Hole, even as a wee nipper I didn't overly enjoy it.

Jake

Strata Poster
marc said:
For me I miss the Alton Mouse as that was fun, but Thunder Looper the most. But I bet if I rode either now I was ask the question of why I missed them.

Haha, I rode it last year!

http://rcdb.com/271.htm

I actually thought it was good... one of the 'OMFG CRAZY' Wild Mice out there, and the lift hill is just weird.

Never rode it at Alton though :).

The one one I'd really want back would be ThunderLooper, becuase I never rode it, and REALLY liked the one at Knotts.

tks

Strata Poster
I don't see why people miss the Alton Towers corkscrew? It was crap! And i'm quite sure Lucy broke one of my ribs on the Black Hole once, the brakes were a tad harsh..

Now I do miss Magnum Force & The Bullet. I can't have been much over the height restrictions when I went on them, and they were insanely good rides. Even if I do blame a couple of re-rides on the Bullet for my short stature. ;) I don't think much of the rides that replaced them. Both rather luck-lustre Vekomas..

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
The Black Hole was better as it was in the dark, and the 1st version of it was even darker than the newer version was.

Sigh; having ridden crush's coaster at Disneyland Paris, I wish there was a way of shoe-horning Spinball Whizzer into the Black Hole tent. Dark is good.

OK, 'cept X no way out...