What's new

New World's Steepest for Fraispertius City, France

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's another El Loco from S&S (the same coaster type as Steel Hawg and Mumbo Jumbo), but the reported drop angle is 113 degrees, which is one degree more than the current record holder.

I've never heard of this park before, and since their only other coaster is a pretty crappy-looking Soquet, this is quite a step up.

Park's Page (in French):

http://fraispfan.free.fr/Nouveautes/Nouveau2011.html

RCDB Page (in proper language):

http://www.rcdb.com/9503.htm

kimahri

CF Legend
^ You think one park is going to go;

"**** you all!"

and then make a full out side loop in a year or 2

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
You can't blame them for doing it really. It'll give it recognition (Flamingoland was on the lips of everyone I knew when opened Mumbo Jumbo) and if it gets a few people through the gates, it's a worthwhile investment.

The model itself can probably allow for a few extra degrees, and as there have only been 2 so far, it's a reasonably unique ride to add too, especially for France.

Xpress

Strata Poster
OMG 113 DEGREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Seriously, when will they get that you just can't get any steeper than 90*? :roll:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I like the El Loco rides - all one of them I've I've been on.

Tbh, the best part about this news is that a relatively unknown park is having a turn in the limelight.

Gimmick coasters certainly seem to do the trick.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Wouldn't Afterburner or some similar screaming squirrel technically have the steepest drop?
No it's the world's shallowest inversion.
Honestly though, when does a drop cease to be a drop and become an inversion?

That's true, but seeing that they are trimmed all the way makes it a bit iffy.
Why would it matter that it's trimmed all the way down the drop? I don't know what your getting at.

how would the drops on Zac-Spins be classified?
I mean they go beyond 180°...
So do Outside Raven Turns on 4th dimensional coasters...
Sure, it's not technically a Raven Turn, but it's pretty dang close.
I know that's not your point, but hell, I'm going to classify it as a Raven Turn.

andrus

Giga Poster
I don't think that you could count the "worlds steepest drop" for 4D-coasters since their seats (obvously) spin and the angel of the drop more depends on the position of the seat itself rather than the angel of the track. Just my point of view. But I do agree that if an el loco counts, why shouldn't a screamin squirrel do so as well?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think these things are bull****. I hate hang time and I hate rides which feel forced... They don't free fall, that makes them ****.

EDIT: Also, if all this crap can be considered steepest drop, wtf was the screamin' squirrel? Surely that's worlds steepest by the bull**** rules these things follow?

Kebab

Giga Poster
Oh dear, here we go again... If this is going to be the fad for theme parks this decade, we'll be seeing more El Loco's than Vekoma SLC's, but seriously they HAVE to stop one time, 140 degrees seems the steepest a coaster can get without hitting the ridiculous. Because wouldn't you just be backing into yourself so much that you simply lose the great momentum you get off a 'normal' vertical drop?

I've yet to ride one of these anyway, hopefully head up to Flamingoland and try one out, I can't lie, they do look good fun :)