What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

Small space, cheap - it's just going to be a little simulator type thing... Or the tunnel over the monorail by the old Dynamo site with some Fanta stickers on the inside! :p

marc

CF Legend

The New Adventures of Ghost of the Sea, it will follow his life and how he became a ghost :)

nadroJ

CF Legend

Am I missing the part where they said this was only going to be a small investment? I don't see why they couldn't have a Spidey/DarKastle system, unless I am missing something here?

marc

CF Legend

I think most of us just assume it will be due to the new SW project in 2013.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

If it was a major investment, we'd know a lot more about it at this time of year.

It's a 2012 attraction and there's no way that they'd be able to get anything massive installed in time now. Plus, as a major attraction the hype machine would have already started rolling.

Everything points to something pretty low key in the old Dynamo area of Forbidden Valley. That's not a large space at all. I don't know how bug the 4D shows at the Eye or Tower are, but I'm thinking it's likely to be along those lines. Each Merlin attraction will get a Dungeon/Horror walk through and/or Sealife and or 4D show and/or "Eye". So after The Swarm, expect fish or 4D show at Thorpe ;)

T0M

Hyper Poster

The Swarm will feature actual shark-infested waters, by SEA LIFE.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

nadroJ said:
Am I missing the part where they said this was only going to be a small investment? I don't see why they couldn't have a Spidey/DarKastle system, unless I am missing something here?
Do you know how much they cost? Because, whilst I don't, common sense tells me it's like 3 times the budget Merlin would invest. Not to mention things cost more in the UK. The ride vehicles alone are several million dollars each. I'm sure somewhere I read $6mill, but I'm not certain of that. That's money Merlin certainly have, but the UK market is not one you'd risk wasting that kind of money on. Dark rides are difficult to market and the GP here do not care about the art of show. The type of people who do care go to theatres, not theme parks. It would be wasted on the Alton Towers audience to install a dark ride of that quality.

The park haven't said this will be a small investment, and actually... it won't be by any stretch of the imagination. Last years addition was scrapped, so in actuality we're looking at two years worth of small investments... So that's a medium investment. Whether that's enough to make something good into something great is another thing entirely and whether it will be invested in the right way is, again, another thing entirely.

I'm hoping for something along the quality lines of Hex. Nothing more. Alton's best attractions are the ones that embrace the budget, planning restrictions and unique environment. The attractions that aren't so good end up being poor imitations of things parks without the unique space, history, planning restrictions or budget worries do.

Anyway, I am hopeful of this. I think it's going to be cool, and at the very least it's ambitious, just perhaps not in ways people are expecting.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

^ Spiderman cost over $100mm, yes, but Darkastle was done on a significantly lower budget, more in the region of $20-$30 million, I understand. The cost of Spiderman was mainly due to the development of the technology and the superior quality to Darkastle- that said, also Darkastle also had the benefit of almost a decade of technological development following Spiderman, which will have been the main driver behind falling prices...

Anyway, even at 20-30mm, this still seems a little unlikely for AT, however, it must be remembered that last year there were 0 new additions which will have hopefully knocked through into this year's budget- so perhaps something slightly more exciting is in the works- and if they're savvy (AT, please don't read penny-pinching...) then something pretty good could be on the way- especially if they save money using existing buildings (or tents...)

Anyway, we'll see. Although we all know SW7 is on its way, it'd be good to see that the money saved last year hasn't gone directly into the board of directors' pockets...

Ollie

CF Legend

Looks like we're going another year without a new ride in the Black Hole tent. Oh btw have you heard XNWO is being removed from Thorpe this year? ;)

UK Park News said:
It has just been announced via the Towers Times website that the new indoor attraction for 2012 at Alton Towers will be located in Forbidden Valley. This replaces the initial thoughts that the indoor attraction will be housed in the existing Black Hole Tent in X Sector.

Planning documents have been updated revealing further details – the attraction is to be located on the existing Lava Lump/Body Zorb site, which was previously home to Dynamo, a spinning flat ride. The attraction will be indoor but part of it will be located underground some 6 metres below the surface.

It is expected that the ride will follow the existing Forbidden Valley theme.

Does this mean that we could see SW7 on the site of the Black Hole after all?
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk/entry/cms/?p=6219&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If it's 6 meters underground does this mean we could finally see a small drop tower at Alton?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

Ollie said:
...does this mean we could finally see a small drop tower at Alton?

Erm...

4537858379.jpg

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster

No way will this be a Spiderman ride system, the building is way too small.

No way will this be a drop tower, we just have Th13teen.

Not sure what it will be, first thing that came to my mind would be a ride like what the London Dungeons just got, but can't see why they'd install one here so soon.

6 metres underground could mean nothing, most rides have to go far underground for foundations and electronics. Does it say anywhere that the 6 metres underground will be used as apart of the attraction?

The main plan can be seen HERE.

Ollie

CF Legend

Ciall I meant something like Extremis or Det. :p
Looking at the plans now I realise that it won't be now. :lol:
newattraction1.jpg

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

^^Why would they build a Vengeance ride when they have Duel?

It's gonna be interesting, with pre and post show rooms apparently planned as well, making it much more of an experience ride than just a ride... Shame about the bloody shipping container shop though...

And indeed, hearing from rumours and sources in a few places, just because one ride exists already at the park, doesn't automatically mean that another ride can do the same thing and MORE...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

Maze, anybody? Just throwing that in there, although not so sure about the 6m underground potential of a maze...

Ollie

CF Legend

^Might be possible. It can't be anything too big as they would have started construction already.
I'm either guessing a maze or a small high capacity flat ride.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Why would a maze need a single rider queue?

It's a ride... It has 3 separate queuelines and a baggage area... Not a maze...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Its not a maze because it clearly says RIDE.

It's fun watching you guys guess what it is. :p

nadroJ

CF Legend

^You git =p Anyone know when the proper details of this are actually going to be released? I'm quite excited =]

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I personally think it should be kept a secret, but people over at Towers Times are leaking info left right and centre. Everyone moaned when Thirteen wasn't kept secret and advertised loudly, everyone praises how Oblivion was... and yet everyone is eager to leak info on this. Most annoying. So details about the actual ride itself will theoretically never be released. But you'll all know before long because people are leaking info. Though it's getting a bit lost in speculation.