What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Ollie

CF Legend
Alton Towers have submitted a planning application for a new indoor attraction for the 2012 season.

Towerstimes said:
Staffordshire Moorlands District Council have this week received a planning application from Alton Towers Resort Operations for a new ride, which is presumably designed to be the main new attraction for the 2012 theme park season.

The application, which does not have planning documents attached yet, is for the 'construction of new indoor ride at Alton Towers Resort and associated hard/soft landscaping works'. This would therefore suggest that the park are looking at some form of dark ride for the 2012 season, although the exact nature of this is unknown. There have been rumours in recent weeks of developments in the Forbidden Valley area of the park, but these are currently unsubstantiated.

An indoor ride for 2012 would be the first totally new dark ride experience at Alton Towers since Hex in 2000. Both Duel and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were re-themes to existing attractions.

You can see the application received on the Staffordshire Moorlands planning portal, by clicking HERE!
SOURCE

Obviously everyone's going to start screaming "BLACK HOLE TENT". It may be but it 'could' be a retheme of Duel as Duel Live isn't at Scarefest this year so it may be closing for construction or something.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

As they've had to apply for planning permission, does that rule out the Black Hole tent?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

This could actually be in a few places... The Ice Show Tent and the Black Hole Tent are the favourite candidates for a new indoor ride, but there are a few other areas in the park that have been earmarked for a ride investment, Dynamo's site being one of them...

I doubt planning permission is required for any Duel update unless they play on changing the building or adding certain effects (such as fire) that would mean a change to the structure... Whilst the tents are still exisiting structures, any major changes would probably need to mentioned on planning applications...

But curiouser and curiouser eh? Potential Flume refurb and this shall certainly be a good start to next year eh?

Ollie

CF Legend

I reckon the flume thing is a red herring. Anyone remember that 'Worlds first baby coaster' Alton said they were going to do a few years back? :p

I reckon it 'may' be a year round scare attraction. It's been a strong rumour for years and the park have been looking into it quite a bit. If it is then it'll either go in the Black Hole Tent (dun dun dun) as at Scarefest this year the two mazes from the hotel are going in there. Either that or something would be set up permanently inside the Towers.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

^There is no way you can compare the Flume posters to the Baby coaster... One is random posters on the park, the other was pure BS PR stunt...

If it's another scaremaze I'll rage, though strong rumour for years? No way...

Nicky

Hyper Poster

A year round scare attraction, in my opinion, isn't the right fit for Towers. There is already Duel and Hex (at least in its concept) which are scare attractions. Maybe not intense but they suit the parks.

Towers knows how to play its marketing and it knows what enthusiasts latch onto. They are getting wiser and wiser every new ride that is announced.

Ollie

CF Legend

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE for Alton to get a ride like Mystery Castle at Phantasialand and have it attached to the side of the Towers. Would be amazing and would fit is perfect for the park. It probably wouldn't be as tall but if it blends in and looks like part of the Towers they might be able to get away with it.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Oh Ollie you C&P whore. Maybe I'll play too "Yeah, I thought about drawing something like that a while back."

mouse

Giga Poster

I would like some sort of futuristic aliens take over the world or something in the Black hole tent.
I can imagine it will be some sort of horror themed walk through or train, more for the adults in Gloomy Wood or the Dark Forest.

choluby

Roller Poster

I would like a more intense/extreme version of space mountain mission 2 in the black hole tent.
I love enclosed rides!

Aaron

Hyper Poster

DARK RIDE!

*ahem*

This is interesting to say the least! I will be following this one very closely indeed! :)

nadroJ

CF Legend

Joey said:
I was wondering when the application for this would appear.

;)

Stupid Joey and his insider Merlin info!

Tell us this, are we going to be impressed?

Lofty

CF Legend

Nemesis Inferno said:
^There is no way you can compare the Flume posters to the Baby coaster... One is random posters on the park, the other was pure BS PR stunt...

If it's another scaremaze I'll rage, though strong rumour for years? No way...

Strong rumours that come straight from someone high up at Alton Towers I may add ;)

At one point, the Towers were actually debating on whether or not they should add a "Dungeons" to the actual towers. They thought about it, but then realised that Warwick wasn't 'too far' up the road from them, so they didn't want to antagonise them. They then thought about adding TOTT as a permanent year-round scare attraction, but with the work that they're doing on the towers, they thought it wouldn't be worth it, as they'd need to close it every so often for the restoration in them areas to continue.

I hope this is going to be an actual worthy candidate for a dark ride. Every time I go to the Towers, I always think that their dark rides are becoming somewhat dated now. Yes, I adore Hex with all my heart, but Duel is just becoming a little tired. It would be good to get a whole new attraction that's spanking new, but if the stories about a 2013 SW7 are true, I doubt they'd be spending a whole lot of money on a whole new ride system!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

At one point, the Towers were actually debating on whether or not they should add a "Dungeons" to the actual towers.
Really? That's interesting. I swear I have the same brain as they do. It's getting uncanny how many times I've thought of something, and they either do it... or at least consider it.

I would have thought something like a scare maze has high running costs with the actors required? You're the person to ask, right? I think a Dungeons attraction would work there really well from a creative perspective, but whether or not people would bother with it is another thing entirely. It would have to be very condensed.

I'm not a scare maze person at all, and I'm not convinced they work at parks as year round attractions. The throughput is bad, the cost is (I'm assuming) high and they have a very niche audience. On top of that, shows of any kind are just not what excites the British. All that said, I quite liked Saw Alive. It's beautifully done.

T0M

Hyper Poster

I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone WHEN Merlin add a Dungeon, Eye or Madame Tussauds to Alton Towers....

Aaron

Hyper Poster

Tom G said:
I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone WHEN Merlin add a Dungeon, Eye or Madame Tussauds to Alton Towers....

There definitely won't be an eye added to Alton Towers, for one thing they wouldn't get the planning permission to allow it,

For another, they already have the skyride that gets you high enough over the forest to replicate the views any wheel could provide.

As for adding the other attractions inside the park, I really can't see them doing that, who's going to pay an entry to the park and then another entry on top of that? Not everyone is super rich! lol

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

They could call the Skyride the Alton-Eyeride :p