What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Ollie

CF Legend
Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

Az said:
As for adding the other attractions inside the park, I really can't see them doing that, who's going to pay an entry to the park and then another entry on top of that? Not everyone is super rich! lol
Quite a lot of people actually. The mazes at the hotel have actually been really popular the past few years and have had longer queues than Saw Alive usually has most the time. :p

Joey said:
I would have thought something like a scare maze has high running costs with the actors required? You're the person to ask, right?
Thanks. I know when I'm wanted. :p
I said it first. Noone believes me but as soon as Mark says it it's suddenly fact. lol

Nicky

Hyper Poster

But them having longer queues than Saw Alive may be more to do with the fact that they are there for more limited time rather than through the whole season.

With people believing after Mark has said it, when one person has a rumour its a bit unclear, but when two people have heard it it gains a bit more credence.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Ollie said:
Joey said:
I would have thought something like a scare maze has high running costs with the actors required? You're the person to ask, right?
Thanks. I know when I'm wanted. :p
I said it first. Noone believes me but as soon as Mark says it it's suddenly fact. lol
...I didn't see you say it, Ollie. And Mark works in the business (I think?). Hense my question directed to him. Not that I wouldn't believe you, it's just Mark could confirm such a fact. And what Nicky said. I guess.

If it makes you feel any better, you're the second person I think of when I think "scare attraction", "Saw" and the first when I think of "goon".

EDIT: The cost thing is worth thinking about because, they did it at Thorpe... How well is it working? Do we know how popular it is? Is it cost efficient? Does it bring people into the park? Now, does something like that... A year-round scare maze, require a tie-in to a known brand? And does this go back to what I was saying in the Alton Towers greats/design the 2013 ride topic?

Ollie

CF Legend

Haha I was kidding anyway (hence the :p). And I'm in the industry as well. Keep in contact with people who own and run attractions and companies and have spent a few days in Pasaje and been a scare actor in the London Tombs and acting in another attraction in October. :p

But yeah the park were looking into a year round scare attraction and maybe a Dungeons (forgot about that lol). I highly doubt this is it but with rumours that something was going in the Black Hole tent I just wanted to point out that they were planning one so it'll keep people more open minded that it may not be a dark ride. All we know so far is that it's "indoors". :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I had no idea you were actually doing acting and stuff and getting properly involved. Good on you!

And the application does say "ride".

Ollie

CF Legend

Yeah but Saw Alive comes under 'rides' on the Thorpe Park map doesn't it? :p

If they need to make a new building for this then I can't think of anywhere they could put it. If it's a dark ride then they can take up a LOT of room. Duel is the size of two football pitches.
I'm looking forward to hearing what it is though and hope it's something different and unique and not just aimed at younger guests.

marc

CF Legend

I am sure after all the **** that happened over 13 being advertised as being scary and this stopped younger people going on it Alton would not make the same mistake. Alton is now a family park and a scare attraction simply does not fit. They already have Gloomy Wood and then another area for 13 etc do we really need a 3rd area for this?

I cannot see this being a scare attraction as much as people want it to be.

Have tbh I have not even looked where this is going as until we know what it is it does not really interest me. I cannot see this having a big budget either so I do not think it will be that fantastic more of just a filler until 2013. Alton need something new to advertise for next year due to the Olympics (yes people will still travel there) so for me this is just a new attraction to achieve that.

I could be totally wrong though :)

Aaron

Hyper Poster

marc said:
I cannot see this being a scare attraction as much as people want it to be.

That's an interesting point actually, everyone seems to be jumping straight on the ghost train/scare attraction slant, but that's not the only sort of dark ride!

Is it possible that it could be a dark ride which has a happy theme? comparable to the likes of say toyland tours or bubbleworks?

It would follow though that they either need to create a new area for this sort of thing, or slot it into one where it could fit well (happy dark ride in Forbidden Valley I think not...)

Perhaps something Pirate related to expand mutiny bay?

marc

CF Legend

Yes Az it could be anything at all, I actually really hope it has nothing to do with a scare attraction. Just look at the UK parks that have/had them, have they done anything for the parks and how many are still around in there original format?

Alton Towers had a scare ride, they changed it as it was no longer popular does that not say something?

On that poll thing they have had running which is the coaster in last place? Oh yes its 13 again need I say more :)

nadroJ

CF Legend

^A pirate themed dark ride would be awesome, but hopefully it wouldn't be just another PotC rip-off.

The other thing I'm concerned about is, of late, all new 'dark-rides' we've seen have pretty much been shooters or some variance of. I'm hoping to see some completely new and original technology utilised on Alton's part, and if not then something along the lines of Spiderman, DarKastle or that thing at Rainbow MagicLand - basically, a 'dark-ride' which is also quite thrilling for the whole family rather than just a shooter or a basic sit in a car and go through some scenes attraction.

marc

CF Legend

^If they done one like the one at Rainbow Magicland that would be fantastic, but they are really expensive and they probably do not need another shooter.

I am actually finding it really hard to think of a good dark ride they could get, other than a coaster in the dark but I just cannot see them doing that when they are getting a new one for 2013.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

marc said:
On that poll thing they have had running which is the coaster in last place? Oh yes its 13 again need I say more :)

Actually it was Rita last time I checked ;) [/pedant]

Would LOVE it if they went for a DarKastle/Spidey system... Never gonna happen... But still... Replace the Black Hole with that sort of thing and BAM... Who needs a new B&M with that? :p

Ollie

CF Legend

I reckon a ride like Toy Story Mania would be great for the park (I probably said that already). It's great for all ages, it's quite new as there's only two of those ride types so far (that I'm aware of) and they're pretty awesome. :)
Also they don't take up that much space and they could change the theme and screens to fit any area of the park.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

nadroJ said:
^A pirate themed dark ride would be awesome, but hopefully it wouldn't be just another PotC rip-off.

The other thing I'm concerned about is, of late, all new 'dark-rides' we've seen have pretty much been shooters or some variance of. I'm hoping to see some completely new and original technology utilised on Alton's part, and if not then something along the lines of Spiderman, DarKastle or that thing at Rainbow MagicLand - basically, a 'dark-ride' which is also quite thrilling for the whole family rather than just a shooter or a basic sit in a car and go through some scenes attraction.
Lets just have a moment to dream about having one of those Spiderman/Darkastle style rides.

...Okay, back to reality.

But, yeah, I agree totally. And those kind of sit down and watch some stuff as you move through a scene rides take up a LOT of space, cost a lot and take a lot of work for not a lot to come out of it. So, I wouldn't be worried that it's anything like that - just from the fact that Alton lack space... and are unwilling to fund.

Ollie

CF Legend

If it is a dark ride and they're being careful on space and costs for their next SW project then I suspect it will be something with screens.
They take up a lot less space and is cheaper and easier to do than most the props and effects you see in Duel etc.
Plus it means the ride reaches out more to a modern audience who don't seem to appreciate how awesome dark rides are (Duel never has a queue :().

marc

CF Legend

Maybe the people in the UK do not know what a good dark ride is as we have none lol :)

Duel is one of the worst shooters ever I do not understand the love for it,

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Duel needs some TLC... Which I believe they're trying to get done (on a MINIMUM budget, so don't expect miracles or anything major)...

But it's still pretty meh... I think most people adore it cos of nostalgia reasons more than anything...

Martyn B

CF Legend

Alton Towers had a scare ride, they changed it as it was no longer popular does that not say something?

I dont think they changed it because it was unpopular, it was a cheap way of them getting a 'new' ride.

marc

CF Legend

^In its first few years it always had queues, after 5 years it became walk on near enough all day so that says to me it lost it.

I get what you mean though, but I remember the 1st time I went on Duel and straight away thought that this is no new ride at all its worse than it was before they changed it :(