What's new

Most underrated

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
CreditCrazy said:
Great Bear is a really underrated ride. It's pretty forceful and just overall enjoyable.

I also really liked Alpengeist and Volcano, which unfortunately get ranked fairly low on the Mitch Hawker Poll.
I agree, I think all these coasters are pretty underrated too.

Also, I'd never heard much about Lightning Racer, but I thought that was really good.

Ultimate is underrated. It baffles me how it doesn't make the top 50 on Mitch's poll. But it's like, what, 130ish?

Also, PMBO... it's down in 200something. Wtf? Whilst Magnum is at 69??? PMBO is probably STILL in my top ten.

Nic

Strata Poster
Yeah, I'd definately say that T'Ultimate is underrated. It's about the most fun I've ever had on a coaster, I've never been on anything else like it. I think part of the problem is where it is. There's not really anything else at LWV that makes it worth the trip, so I think people almost forget that it's there! It's a shame though, cause it's awesome :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
^ In some cases though, this causes overrating. EGF, for example. And whilst I'm sure Eagle Fortresss was good, pretty damn sure it wasn't that good.

I think Ultimate's problem is that people rate it poorly in the same way they do PMBO. Technically, these rides are awful, and people overlook Ultimate's insane airtime and exhilaration and PMBO's incredible drop and excitement of being so high of the ground for so much of the ride and focus too much on whats wrong with them.

I was expecting so much from Magnum, as if it was going to be like PMBO but with epic airtime... But it's dire. It's unbearably rattly/rough and not just rough on the transitions like pmbo, it's still not forceful and I think it possibly has less positive-gs. Was just boring. Like most of CPs rides.

millenniumforcerocks said:
Thunderbolt at Kennywood is absolutely ridiculous! :shock: The airtime is intense, and it almost threw me out of it. The turns weren't too rough, and the final drops were incredible.
I have concluded that your taste couldn't be more different from mine. :p I thought this ride was so, so, so bad.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
CreditCrazy said:
Great Bear is a really underrated ride. It's pretty forceful and just overall enjoyable.

I also really liked Alpengeist and Volcano, which unfortunately get ranked fairly low on the Mitch Hawker Poll.
I agree, I think all these coasters are pretty underrated too.

Also, I'd never heard much about Lightning Racer, but I thought that was really good.

Back of the net! Brilliant shot! 1-0 to Joey!

Joey said:
PMBO is probably STILL in my top ten.

Followed by an embarrassing own goal which makes a mockery of the original great goal ;) :p

I know what you mean to be honest about PMBO. I think it probably gets an undeserved bashing. It's not a great "overall" coaster, it's got some brilliant highlights, let down by the fact it's generally slow, rattly and a bit "meh".

The highlights though (the drop and scale and the way it works in the crowded park) are a lot better than some highlights on a lot of other coasters. It just doesn't cut it overall for me personally - but I know what you're saying :)

marc

CF Legend
1st time I rode T'Ultimate I was expecting this amazing coaster after reading what people had to say about it on here. I was expecting air time etc and got nothing at all, in fact I thought it was rather boring.

Anyway tried it again the other year and loved it, I got air time and felt the speed etc. Maybe I liked it last time as I was not expecting anything at all due to my 1st experience. So this went up my ratings.

So my point is if people have only been on it the once and got a ride like I 1st did then its no wonder why people do not rate it that high.

Joey I am not picking on you here so please do not think I am :) PMBO 1st time I rode it just after it was built I loved it but they then went and changed the part that made the ride for me and that is the drop. So PMBO version 2 is not as good as version one so again it is down in my ratings. Maybe when they get the new trains it will be running like it used to, but the last time I rode it I was in so much pain due to a dent in the track there was no way I could enjoy it.

For me EGF is over rated as well.

An under rated coaster for me is Guwzi, I loved it so much fun. Yet so many people hate the coaster. Again though I expected to hate it maybe that is why I liked it cause it was no way as bad as people made out.

The other under rated coaster for me is the Mine Train at Phantastia Land. I thought it was the best Mine Train I have ever been on yet it is hardly spoken about and people bang on about Big Thunder Mountain at DLP which I personally thought was rubbish.

I also get fed up with hearing "it was not running as well as 2 days ago". How the hell can we rate a ride that we did not ride when it was meant to be running better lol :) we were not on it.

Everyone likes different things so it is very rare 10 people are going to agree for example. The only time I have known every one agree was when 15 of us got off Silver Star lol.

My attitude has changed this year to the point I will no longer rate rides, I will just enjoy them like I used to and if I dont like I simply wont go on them again.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
See, every year I've rode PMBO I've enjoyed it more. The last couple of years It's been utterly fantastic when I've ridden it.

What makes it so good in my opinion?
It's at Blackpool, which is the funnest park in the UK.
It's first drop is probably the best of any coaster I've been on. It's utterly insane and truly terrifying.
It uses it's height for more than just a drop, keeping you up way above the ground.
The wind battering is awesomely exhilarating.
It's in a fantastic location.
The turn around is crazy awesome on the inside seat.
The two head-choppers are great.
It's got nice positive-gs.

...Then I admit it dies and it is practically airtimeless.

But who cares? And after Riding Phantom, Steel force and the crap-pile that is Magnum, PMBO is by miles the best.

I know some people are going to be like.. "wind battering?" Wtf? But I think that's one of Alpengeist's best features too. And Kingda Ka front row, holy crap... Rides that have you return to the station with tears in your eyes get a thumbs up from me. There's something insanely neat about it. It increases the sensation of speed ten fold.

I think Alpengeist and Great Bear are similar in many ways, because they are both very unusual and it's hard to place them in a scale with other inverts. Alpengeist's cobra roll, which everyone raves about, I wasn't that impressed with... I just think it's a cluster of lateral forces that aren't fun and Raptor's was the same... But the first drop is incredible and so is everything until the cobra roll... After that it dies a bit, but I don't mind.

Talon is awesome. I don't really know what the general consensus on Talon is? On Mitch's poll it's 66, and the inverts above it in ascending order are Batman, Alpengeist, Phaethon, Raptor, Black Mamba, DD Ice, Afterburn, DD Fire, Montu, Pyraneese, Katun and Nemesis... But I'd put it above everything I've except Montu, I think. Everything about it was just kind of ... right.

As for what Marc said about rides being different on different days. The 6 of us who went to Carrowinds thought Intimidator was really cool, but no one at the live did? Coincidence?

I dunno if I think Silver Star is worse than Nitro... At least Star wasn't rough and had those neat snaking turns towards the end. Nitro was just a pile of utter ****e.

Whoever said Great Bear, I couldn't agree more. Everyone sits there and says how badly it dies and this and that, but the first drop is amazing, I love the location, the elements are forceful, and yah, maybe it does die a bit at the end, but so do a lot of other inverted coasters I've been on. A coaster doesn't have to be non-stop forces from start to finish to be good, and Great Bear ranks I think tied for second, below Afterburn, about on par with Batman, and better than Alpy/Raptor.

Snoo

The Legend
Joey, I don't think the park being utter crap really helped things either. Plus, the fact that most of us aren't huge fans of B&M floater wasn't working for it. It wasn't a horrid ride by any means, it just wasn't good.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
SnooSnoo said:
Joey, I don't think the park being utter crap really helped things either. Plus, the fact that most of us aren't huge fans of B&M floater wasn't working for it. It wasn't a horrid ride by any means, it just wasn't good.
I'm hardly a fan of B&M floater, either. Every B&M mega I've done (Silver Star, Nitro, Diamondback, Apollo's Chariot, Intimidator and Goliath) was disappointing given the rave about some of them. Nitro and Diamondback are too rough. Goliath is pretty rough too, but it can get away with it for being otherwise good. Apollo's Chariot is probably the best because it's smooth and is consistently good through the layout. I'd probably place the top 3 as Apollo, Goliath and then Intimidator...

EDIT: Also, what's so bad about Carrowinds? Top Gun or whatever it's called now is really, really good. The Boomerang is awesome. The racing woodies are horribly awesome. I wish the Dutchman wasn't death, but otherwise their lineup is a lot of fun I think. Cyclone was a lot of fun too. It was so smooth!

^ The park did kinda suck.. There was nothing great about it except for Afterburn, the atmosphere was pretty crappy, and it was eight million degrees, which isn't the park's fault but still.