What's new

Knott's Berry Farm 2013 Rumored Giga Coaster

Xpress

Strata Poster
Re: Knotts Berry Farm 2012 Rumored Giga

^In a nutshell, no. No room to expand outside of the park by much, although GhostRider does crossover the main road leading to the park from the interstate.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

The only place they could expand is Soak City, or the parking lot, which would require a parking structure. Then the issue of crossing Beach Blvd. comes into play, which, lets be honest, having a coaster go across would be epic, but there is no way the city would allow it. Unless there was a chairlift or other transport to go over/under, it won't happen.

Xpress

Strata Poster

The only logical place I can see one being built is where Perilous Plunge now resides. Such an atrocious ride already, so why not get rid of it in favor for a ride with higher capacity, more thrills, and better reliability?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Its genuinely becoming quite hard to remember whats what with all these major coasters planned/rumoured for next year!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: Knotts Berry Farm 2012 Rumored Giga

The end of the world. Duh. Just like all the epic movies next summer too. And thankfully were getting the hobbit 4 days before it ends...but then when it doesn't, it will still all be there. And then the real cred shoring begins!

Sent from your mom's home

Mark

Strata Poster

I would love to see it happen. Purely because, well who wouldn't? However my belief that it WILL happen stops right about there.

It would certainly take something of this calibre to make me want to go back tbh. At the moment the only thing giving me any inkling to go back there is Montezooma & Pony Express, both of which are missed creds :-(

D1993

Hyper Poster

How cool would it be if it went over the road like ravine flyer II?
I know its wishful thinking and it took waldameer forever to get approval for that bridge, but still that would be so freaking cool!!! I wonder if a park would build a parking lot with stories?
As soon as I say the idea though I feel a little iffy about that. It would get so crowded and bottlenecked at times.

Maybe they can figure out something for us coaster lovers :)

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster

As great as the giga sounds, my money is on a 165-foot-tall Hyper-lite with a narrow out-and-back layout and maybe a little twister at the end next to the station, maybe a helix.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

tomahawKSU said:
Here is the post Westcoaster had up last August, thinking this was going to be for 2011, marking wise.

http://www.westcoaster.net/blog/2010/08 ... tts-up-to/

Something else that is interesting to note is this photo from KBF facebook page with the caption underneath:

Stay tuned for a Guinness World Record @Knott's!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

I find it interesting that Hammerhead is the subject in this picture, with no Windjammer, and the Parachute ride still there. That is an old picture. It very well could be nothing (especially marker wise) but it is interesting to note at least, and something to talk about.

Also opening in So Cal next year is Carsland and Transformers which could be a reason they are trying to make their own splash, and if they do, I am sure SFMM will announce something as well.

The Guinness World Records bit is a marketing stunt being done at a lot of Cedar Fair parks - it isn't linked to a new ride.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Well I think this rumor can be confidently flushed down the toilet.
Its now Mid-August, and if they havent even begun clearing land and preparing footers to be poured and actually pouring them, theres no way a giga would happen.
Plus Knotts is open over the winter right? It'd be harder to construct when youve got the park open although weather wouldnt be anywhere near as harsh as new york or washington area, whatever.
Basically this is really looking to seem like just a rumor.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

^Completely 100% wrong. KBF is known to announce rides late, and open more in the winter. It is a concrete jungle so there is no need for land clearing. They don't have to deal with weather, or leveling the land so that part cuts down a lot of time. I expect an announcement by the end of September, but be opened in late June/July.

Josh73

Giga Poster

I wonder if a park would build a parking lot with stories?-D1993

A park would because IOA and Universal in Florida have one.

Tony

Hyper Poster

While it's discouraging to see no evidence of any sort of construction at this stage, they maybe going for a later summer opening or the fact that the weather will be better in Cali for winter that they can start construction later?

Well seeing as we have what 5 B&M projects already in construction for next year, Skyrush is so far the only major Intamin confirmed for next year? So they must have some other big projects up their sleeves! So there could be some hope yet, but it's really all just rumours on Screamscape atm.... Sure hope it comes true though! :p

Xpress

Strata Poster

Yeah about that Cali weather... We don't get "Snow" down here, only in the mountains. The daytime lows are like, 52*F at the most... There isn't a "Season".

D1993

Hyper Poster

tomahawKSU said:
^Completely 100% wrong. KBF is known to announce rides late, and open more in the winter. It is a concrete jungle so there is no need for land clearing. They don't have to deal with weather, or leveling the land so that part cuts down a lot of time. I expect an announcement by the end of September, but be opened in late June/July.

Oh yeah I didnt even think of that!
I guess they wont need to 'clear land' if its all flat and concrete. LOL.
I guess the weather would make it alot easier too. Cos I know with big rides like Kingda Ka, the weather and cold was a huge issue.

I guess it was wrong to say the rumor is completely shot down.

Wouldnt we expect at least some sort of hype or marketing behind the park if they were opening a new coaster next year? Especially if it was going to be this big. I guess im saying I'd just expect the park to be more suspicious. Something along the lines of that. Id love to see this happen though. Apart from windseeker, whats the last 'big' ride they got? Silver Bullet?

edit: to Josh73.
oh thats really awesome I didnt know that! Maybe KBF will do that to get rid of some of the space taken up? Thatd be an awful lot of time and money though I guess, would the parks be willing do you reckon?

Josh73

Giga Poster

^To build a multi-story parking lot? It would cost alot of $, but in the end it would save alot of space and it is a possiblity, I guess.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Yeah I reckon its one of those things that would cost them lots, but provide really convenient and give them better advantages for the future etc

Josh73

Giga Poster

D1993 said:
Yeah I reckon its one of those things that would cost them lots, but provide really convenient and give them better advantages for the future etc

It would benefit to their expansion immensly, so it could end up being positive for their park's enviroment.

Xpress

Strata Poster

So anyways.... If they WERE to build another ride, I think they would need to remove one... Hopefully they will get rid of perilous plunge. What a giant POS.

D1993

Hyper Poster

To be honest, I dont know the layout and feel of the park and I only know of their bigger rides/roller coasters. So im not sure what they could remove.
Isnt Perilous Plunge a ride that is quite liked by the GP?
Tidal Force at Hershey (and all the rides like that), always seem to be quite popular amongst the GP especially in the summer. I doubt that they would remove PP