What's new

Knott's Berry Farm 2013 Rumored Giga Coaster

tomahawk

Strata Poster
2012 - Giga Coaster - Rumor - (6/27/11) This rumor is a bit out there… so please take it all with a big chunk of salt in case it’s entirely bogus, but I’ve been sent a short list of very impressive stats for what Knott’s next coaster project MIGHT BE. As I said… this is all very out there right now, and if these stats are even close to being true for a possible 2012 project, Knott’s is going to have to start work on this project very soon.
Now, you might be asking yourselves, if the rumor is so wild, why do I post it at all? Simply because the stats match up with what I’ve been hearing about for the past year… that Knott’s was in the process of designing their version of version of Intimidator. This is said to be an Intamin Giga-coaster of the highest degree, with a custom layout inspired by both Intimidator 305 and Millennium Force. In short, Knott’s could be on the verge of building what many might consider to be the best roller coaster in the world.
While I don’t know anything really solid about the layout, it very well could travel throughout quite a bit of the park. Many might recall all those crazy survey markings that appeared throughout about half of the park about a year ago. The overall length of the ride is rumored to be just shy of 6000 feet, putting it just slightly behind Disney’s California Screamin’ coaster in overall length. As for the height… we’re talking about a coaster that could stand just shy of 340 feet with an amazing 85º first drop back down to Earth. As long as the actual height of the first drop was at least 328 feet, I believe the top speed of this coaster would hit at least 100 mph. That would make this ride the tallest and fastest NON-LAUNCHED coaster in the entire world. One for the record books for sure… now if only our crystal ball is clear on this one. Wait and see… wait and see…

Now, I would pass this off as a rumor, but when I worked at KBF, they were talking about a hyper back then, and if this is the same project, but just being reborn, well my hopes are up. If anything about this is true, and has any relevance from the talked about hyper, station will be either Kingdom of the Dinosaur area or Mystery Lodge and it might lead to Perilous Plunge demise. Likelihood this is real? Small. If it is. Nice.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Knotts Berry Farm 2012 Rumored Giga

Oh, don't spite Perilous Plunge, it's one of only two good rides there (and Montezooma <3)

And whatever this is, it'll suck. Since it's at Knott's. And Knott's is a hole of terror and dispair.

Tony

Hyper Poster

Sure hope it's true as I'll be in California next summer but yeah, this just sounds like a wild rumour for now.

marc

CF Legend

Remove Ghostrider and put it there lol.

I cannot see it happening tbh, the park needs something just not sure it needs this.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: Knotts Berry Farm 2012 Rumored Giga

GhostRider is glorious, all it needs is topper track and its back to top form, or everyone needs to stop being a pansy and suck it up.

marc

CF Legend

No sorry it was that rough front and back so much so we got head aches and if its not that bad why has it been trimmed so it comes to a near total stop. They need new trains and as you say a re track, the layout is fantastic but if they are not going to repair it then pull it down lol.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I haven't ridden it since Oct 08 at Haunt and it was one of the most enjoyable rides I had had in a long time. There were some rough times but i wouldnt say unbearable especially compared to racer which bruised my ribs and the thankfully gone Psyclone. If it went under the knife and got a proper rehab like it deserves, I don't think this discussion would exist, but the ride has torn the track up and they keep putting band aids on it when it needs surgery.

Ben

CF Legend

Ghostrider makes me sad.

It's a REALLY good coaster, you can still feel now it's trying to be great.

However, it then compresses your spine and tries to murder you, so you stop noticing it.

It would be the number one coaster I would put up for LOTS of work, and fast.

Cole_NE

Roller Poster

I hope it happens. I live about 15 minutes away, but I barely ever go to Knott's

tomahawk

Strata Poster

My only true concern with this is the eye sore. I drove by the park last week while I was visiting family and the windseeker just looks horrid and makes the skyline that much worse. The colors are too loud across the park, and knowing the park, if this happens it will probably be rainbow colored with bright pink supports with a theme no where matching the colors (cough silver bullet cough). The ride clearly would feature no near ground elements unless portions of the park were leveled, or if they were allowed to jump beach blvd to the parking area/soak city, and lets face it, that won't happen.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I can't imagine what the heck this coaster's footprint would look like. Thought Knott's is notorious for stacking rides on top of rides, I can't imagine how the heck you'd fit 6,000 ft. of track into the park. The RCT fan within me suggests a perimeter layout, but that's probably more hopeful than realistic. This coaster would be AMAZING if it came through though.

We shall wait and see.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Last year random markers were found across the park, over at tpr they have an Ariel map of the markers, I shall link it when I get home, but it spans virtually the entire back half of the park, mystery lodge to sky cabin, and I think it went as far east to the drop of the log ride. I'm sure if you look at westcoaster and the more westcoast devoted sites they will have more, but im just trying to go off the top of my head.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

"Mysterious Markers" are most often utility lines being marked for other work, and must always be regarded as a poor judge when speculating for roller coasters. You wouldn't believe how many markers pop up along Cedar Point's Frontier Trail, and how many of them (zero) actually correlated with a ride.

However, I did see Cedar Point's planning taking pictures around the Space Spiral and DT in 2009 for that wooden coaster... :roll:

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Here is the post Westcoaster had up last August, thinking this was going to be for 2011, marking wise.

http://www.westcoaster.net/blog/2010/08 ... tts-up-to/

Something else that is interesting to note is this photo from KBF facebook page with the caption underneath:

Stay tuned for a Guinness World Record @Knott's!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

I find it interesting that Hammerhead is the subject in this picture, with no Windjammer, and the Parachute ride still there. That is an old picture. It very well could be nothing (especially marker wise) but it is interesting to note at least, and something to talk about.

Also opening in So Cal next year is Carsland and Transformers which could be a reason they are trying to make their own splash, and if they do, I am sure SFMM will announce something as well.

andrus

Giga Poster
Re: RE: Knotts Berry Farm 2012 Rumored Giga

tomahawKSU said:
Last year random markers were found across the park, over at tpr they have an Ariel map of the markers, I shall link it when I get home, but it spans virtually the entire back half of the park, mystery lodge to sky cabin, and I think it went as far east to the drop of the log ride. I'm sure if you look at westcoaster and the more westcoast devoted sites they will have more, but im just trying to go off the top of my head.

You mean like this?
081810-RBTR001.jpg

Found on TPR originally from westcoaster.net

I don't know much of the park, it's hard to tell the scale etc.. But all of the markers up north seem to be somewhat connected into something that actually looks like a coaster layout. I have a hard time to see them putting in a large coaster of this scale there but I obviously want them to! Only time will tell whether the rumours are true or not..

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Nah, I've got this one sussed!
twit.jpg

World's largest freaky owl!

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Marker 515 and the ones surround are all around Mystery Lodge and the other cluster is all around sky cabin, which is still not running. Maybe this is the reason they moved Windseeker to Fiesta Village so this thing could get clearance? I am assuming the one in the back is just marking the back entrance, across from the employee lot, but I would be interested to see if there were any markers in the employee lot as that was part of the original rumor I heard, but they have both the main and western entrance marked on here.

Xpress

Strata Poster

I think it's a bunch of crap. where in the hell would they fit such a massive ride? If they were to get another coaster, it wouldn't be something outlandishly large like I305.

On the other hand, perhaps this will give Intamin a chance to redeem themselves after the miscalculations that were made with I305, although somehow I doubt it will happen anyways since Intamin seems to make a lot of miscalculations when it comes to pushing the boundaries of thrill ride technology.

Now, if they WERE to get a hyper, my guess is it would be a sub 200ft. ride, something like the hyper lites that are out there. It would make more sense with the space that the park has to work with, as well as being a budget friendly ride, that ALSO sticks with the parks theme of packing a punch in a small size.

As for the nay-sayers, go away. KBF is one of my favorite parks, and GhostRider, REGARDLESS of how rough it is, still offers a fantastic ride, day or night. Tis one of my favorite CCI's <3 I think I have over 200 rides on it now..

D1993

Hyper Poster

yh isnt the park kinda boxed in? they dont have room to expand with very large hypers and gigas. i dont know if building on top of everything is really the answer, is there by any chance more land around they could expand onto?