What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

To Phil re: Mack seating... The same reason for Skyrish seating, I guess. Manufacturers have absolutely zero interest in researching guest psychology and designers (both creative and technical) don't spend enough time being a guest or watching other guests to understand certain operational issues. I didn't ever think its a case of it being so complicated or expensive to do, simply that they hadn't thought to bother because they were mimicking an actual bobsleigh. And besides, the Intamin bobsleighs had how many across? Youre probably right that it would be more costly and complicated, but I don't think they even got that far to considering it, honestly.

Re: adding more capacity would add more issues... Well, no, not if it had been designed properly to start with. The fact its in house or unusual is irrelevant to the consumer. And thats the same response to the "were lucky to get it at all".

On top of all this, do you guys really think it'll be any good? None of the existing modern bobsleigh are particularly good.

All I'm saying is that this being Knoebels, in house and a "labour of love" shouldn't cloud the judgement if it being a sign of, honestly, little more than insanity from those in charge.

Am I glad they are doing it? Yes, its interesting, but its still daft.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Talk about prejudging a ride. We haven't even seen POV let alone ridden it, and already you've written it off as a waste and a failure.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I think I'm just being realistic under a sea of Knoebels fanboyism, but if I'm alone in that I'll admit defeat.

I'm not one to let my prejudgement effect my postjudgement. We will see, wont we.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Okay, first up, I'm not Knoebels "fanboying" :lol: I thought Phoenix was rubbish and the park is a collection of has-been museum pieces. It's in a wonderful location and has a fantastic "quirkiness" about it, but that's all part of why Flying Turns is happening and why here and how.

Instead of rebuilding Phoenix, Knoebels could have simply bought a Zierer Large. Better footprint, better throughput, cheaper, easier to build and a larger audience.

They didn't, because they wanted to preserve a piece of the past. They wanted to do the hard thing because they felt it was the right thing to do. It was done out of a love of history of amusements. What Knoebels is trying to do is keep one foot in the past and retain what made amusement parks great in the past, and to show that they can still be fun and attractive to a modern audience.

So the idea of the project was to reproduce a ride that hasn't been built for what? 80 years? The original rides were built by teams of designers and craftsmen who had years and years of experience producing coasters using just fag packet physics and experience. Knoebels may have more than fag packet physics these days, but they're seriously lacking in experience of hand building coasters from scratch.

So they got it wrong initially and are having to experiment to get it right. They're being true to the original design as much as possible. They're keeping it true, but getting it to fit. I have no doubt (me not being an engineer and them doing the maths and having some experience of building coasters) that they've produce the only ride like this they could, in the space they could, that still fits with the original specification - produce an accurate representation of a traditional Flying Turns. They could have had Mack come in (or Intamin) and stick in a modern steel version. Would have been cheaper, quicker, had more throughput and be open already. It would have also completely missed the point.

It's about reproduction first, that's the most important thing. It just so happens that it will also be an attraction guests can ride, but that's a very secondary (or tertiary or lower) consideration.

I think the issue here is that Dick Knoebel is like Richard Hammond. Dick is saying "I've brought the dinosaurs back to life" and Ian Malcolm is saying "but they died out for a reason, bringing them back is a stupid idea, should have just got some ostriches in. Or mixed ostrich DNA with Velociraptor and made a much safer version that's better for the modern audience". Then he's saying "but... I've brought back DINOSAURS!!!"

If you don't think dinosaurs are cool*, you'll never understand why it's a great thing to bring them back as they were (warts and all). And yes, they may escape and eat a few dozen people, but you get it right eventually ;)

As for if I think it'll be any good? In all honesty? No. I think as a ride (and consider Avalanche is one of my favourite "fun" rides), it'll be "an experience", but "meh". It may be great fun (like Avalanche), but I'm expecting something a little more like Margate's Scenic Railway - nothing brilliant, but it's something special.

Of course, I'd love to be wrong and for the ride to be a knockout coaster as well, but I don't expect it and I don't care. I didn't enjoy Phoenix, but I'm glad that somebody went to the effort to save a ride they personally loved. I love that Phoenix exists and I don't have to enjoy the ride for that.

*I know you think dinosaurs are cool and also this ride Joey. Just trying to explain the mindset :)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Re: Knoebels |

Joey said:
I think I'm just being realistic under a sea of Knoebels fanboyism, but if I'm alone in that I'll admit defeat.

I'm not one to let my prejudgement effect my postjudgement. We will see, wont we.

I'm not a Knoebels fanboy, either. But after having been to more than 400 parks, would you agree that my preference for the park over anything from 6F or CF carries even a tiny bit of weight?

It's a fun, quirky place that doesn't try to rob you blind at every turn. It will never be Disneyland or Magic Mountain, or Cedar Point, and I would NEVER want it to be.

The fact that they are preserving history might make ACErs wet in the pants, but I just like their gumption, and that they do things their own way.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Yep. Looks firmly in the "fun" category, but also gorgeous.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

bmac

Giga Poster

Not sure if I'm just seeing things or not but the wear marks look pretty visible on the track, I guess it shows how many circuits they've done to make sure it will be/is safe.

Intricks

Strata Poster

You know what, Knoebles just went up in my book. Somebody complained that the ride was too slow too many lifts and that his grand kids would be bored on it cause it isnt "interestung".

Knoebles said theyd be offering Spelling Lessons on the ride.

Win right there.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

With the right people, this could be one of the most fun rides out there.

bmac

Giga Poster

Intricks said:
You know what, Knoebles just went up in my book. Somebody complained that the ride was too slow too many lifts and that his grand kids would be bored on it cause it isnt "interestung".

Win right there.

All their replies on that vid are great.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Intricks said:

Win right there.
You left out half the joke though. A commenter basically said the ride is isn't 'interestung', will you be offering an in-ride movie or an in-ride meal?

And then Knoebels said "We'll be offering spelling lessons".

MouseAT

Hyper Poster

That POV actually looks pretty mental. It looks like it'll be quite fun to ride.

Those responses to the comments are great too.

BBH

Giga Poster

Those banking transitions after the second lift look absolutely insane.

I'm glad this thing is finally going to get up and running.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

tomahawKSU said:
Sudden memories of La Vibora spring to mind at Six Flags Over Texas with Snoo, Youngster Joey, Hixee, Kimahri, and Error.

Believe it or not, banking high into those bobsled turns on three wheels is a very terrifying experience.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Hyde244 said:
tomahawKSU said:
Sudden memories of La Vibora spring to mind at Six Flags Over Texas with Snoo, Youngster Joey, Hixee, Kimahri, and Error.

Believe it or not, banking high into those bobsled turns on three wheels is a very terrifying experience.
It was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. Worst part was hitting the first sharp corner, feeling like we nearly flipped it, and knowing there were two more, much harsher, corners left to come. :lol:

I don't really give two **** how this thing rides, it looks absolutely incredible and I can't wait to ride it.

BBH

Giga Poster

insanecoastervids said:
Really you guys think it's that good I don't.
We're not expecting an Outlaw Run- or El Toro-calibre coaster here, just a great vintage ride that looks fun.

Will it top enthusiasts' lists? Most likely not. Will it be a fun experience? Almost certainly yes.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Too many jaded enthusiasts equate neck-snapping airtime and soul-crushing g-forces with ride quality, and too few remember when riding roller coasters was about having fun with friends.