What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Re: Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

The worst part of this news is that my "I Survived the Flying Turns" t-shirt I bought in 2010 is no longer ironic.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

For those that haven't seen the layout. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_6iMC2jxfA[/youtube]

Colossus

Giga Poster

Some pictures and footage from my visit a couple of weeks ago.

HolidayUSA1075_zpsb6fd04f3.jpg

HolidayUSA1072_zps4436fdd7.jpg

HolidayUSA1067_zpsee7e89fb.jpg

HolidayUSA1066_zpsc7334aaf.jpg
[

HolidayUSA1080_zps381b4295.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJ0E0q1Tqk[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

There are no words for how much I adore it. The train designs are delicious and I just love the way it looks and moves. Gorgeous.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Colossus

Giga Poster

You know, I will admit that before this visit I didn't really know too much about the ride, other than it had failed to open for a while. Looking at those trains, am I right in thinking this will have the worst throughput ever? As fab as the trains are, there's only 2 of them. (that I could see anyway)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

That was my first thought, too. I thought the trains were supposed to be longer than that!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I doubt it'll make too much difference at Knoebels will it? Do they ever have massive queues?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Yes. The haunted house queue can get quite long. Black Diamond Mine's queue was about an hour long the day I rode it, too.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

I went yesterday and the queue for pretty much everything was tiny I rode Phoenix about 10 times. The longest wait was probably 15 minutes for Twister but the line died out as the day went on.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

When I went the queues were...

Wait, sorry, it makes not the blindest bit of difference what the lines were like when I went. At all. Capacity on this thing will be atrocious.

I've got a feeling that the trains were supposed to be longer, but that train length added to the numerous issues this thing has had and they've had to cut them down. I'm assuming that it'll be two people per car, but, like with the Mack Bobsled things, the locals will get too weirded out sitting that close to another human being and you'll end up with one per car.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Do we know how many trains they have though? There are what? Three lift hills and a very long brake/station section. It's possible they could be running three, four or five trains? So it may not be anywhere near as bad as it looks from a single train.

Colossus

Giga Poster

It is plausible yes, the layout could easily handle another couple of trains. However there was clearly only two there, one green one on circuit and one yellow on the transfer track.
The spare track itself is quite small and looks like it can only accommodate 1 train, unless there's some more on the other side? I don't recall seeing any but it it may be there?

If that is the only piece of track however, this leads me to believe the ride will have a total of two trains.

Gavin is correct in that the trains were supossed to be longer. http://rcdb.com/3458.htm

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Holy crap. Dick Knoebel rode that thing way back in 2007?

That's some dedication to a project.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

This thing is going to have the capacity of Pteranadon Flyers @ IOA. 200-300/hr max.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

What Gavin said... In the US they are particularly stupid about this kind if seating. I had a ride op give US grief at KD. I was like "oh, its your fault the queue is long, then?"

I don't care about authentics, they should have made it 2 side by side even when the thing was meant to have train.

I think Knoebels dedication shouldn't outweigh the obvious stupidity of this project.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

What??? Come on Joey :lol:

If you double the width of the cars, you'd have to increase the track size too, and as it's curved it would get huge. I'm sure it's possible, but completely infeasible.

It's like this, or it doesn't exist. It's that simple really...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Whats wrong with wider track width?

My point is more that, like most parks, they didn't stop to think about how it would actually work with guests.

A terrible capacity is a reason to simply not get a ride.

I don't think the cars or track needs to be as wide as you think it does.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

It's curved, so the track size increase would be much more than normal straight track. Then it wouldn't curve as tightly.

The point of the ride is to reproduce an old coaster type which will offer a unique experience and is for the love of old ride types and nostalgia. A working museum example if you like.

It's a labour of love that we're incredibly lucky somebody has decided to build. It's about so much more than "making a coaster".

I'm sure Hixee can explain about the way the track wouldn't work if it needed to be wider.

If it could be wider, why have Mack never produced one using modern material?

tks

Strata Poster

Wasn't one of the problems the weight of the cars in the first place? How would adding more capacity and therefore weight help any of the issues this ride has faced.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Re: Knoebels |

Joey said:
Whats wrong with wider track width?

My point is more that, like most parks, they didn't stop to think about how it would actually work with guests.

A terrible capacity is a reason to simply not get a ride.

I don't think the cars or track needs to be as wide as you think it does.

It isn't like they bought this off the shelf from a company. As originally announced, IIRC, this was to have three, five car trains. Granted, those cars were single seaters, so it would have been 5 people per train. These new cars are supposed to seat two, in-line, per car for six per train. If, they do eventually operate with three trains, the throughput would actually be better than originally planned for.

Regardless, with all the train iterations, we ought to just be happy if it ever opens. Most places wouldn't have even STARTED a project this interesting, let alone had the tenacity to stick with it this long trying to get it right.