What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

I'm at Knoebels and the rumor BMAC posted isn't true. Although the coaster passed final inspection on Tuesday and it's ready to go - Flying Turns is not opening to the public today due to the parking lot already at overflow capacity for the Phoenix Phall Phun Phestival.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk now Free

Intricks

Strata Poster

^ Thats cause they are too fat to ride with one another hunty, not cause of some other reason that has no validity other than a very narrow insight and opinion ;3

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

Seriously Joey? We get it, you don't think people will sit together on this ride. They will. Do I need to show you millions of pictures of Matterhorn of people doing that or will you believe that even if everyone does it, except one person, you will be right? Give it a rest.

marc

CF Legend
Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

It means nothing as in that picture the back train has no one.

Riders will ride together as they do on many other rides with seats like these.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I am glad that after five years, the biggest point of contention is how willing riders are to sit in each others laps.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

It's open & it's so much fun!
ehegaveh.jpg
ygyge9yq.jpg

u6a8a6ug.jpg

bmac

Giga Poster

I should've bet money on this, I would've made it big.

Glad you enjoy the ride ECG, and thanks for heading out to cover it.

BBH

Giga Poster

ECG, where would you list it compared to the other Knoebels rides and in your personal rankings? It looks fabulous.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

^Phoenix and Twister are both better coasters, but this one just has something special about it.
It's max speed is only 25mph and it doesn't get going until after the second lift hill, so don't expect too much. It also varies greatly depending on where you sit and how heavy the train is, but it's fun no matter where you sit. The best part was how everyone who rode it where laughing and giggling all around the second half and getting off the coaster with huge grins on their faces.
I'm on the road to Florida (via Myrtle Beach) right now and I need to get some sleep after a long day and longer drive (nearly 2am in Petersburg, VA), but I'll post more details with more pics and vids once I get to Orlando.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

I wonder if Knoebels could patent this ride system and sell it to a manufacturer. I feel like they have no use for the rights to a design that probably won't get used again and I think that GCI or Gravity Group coil take this in new directions, maybe making them faster and more intense. Plus Knoebels would make a killing off of it. I'd love to ride this someday (maybe I could find a day or two to run up there when I'm living in Sandusky next summer?) and I'd be SO happy if more spring up around the globe. Parks I could see installing these and having them do well are BGW, Carowinds, Dollywood, and maybe Holiday World.

I can't get enough of this thing, though! And that noise it makes when the safety rails pinch the train and guide it into the brakes/lifts might be my new favorite coaster sound effect!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^No other park is going to touch it.

BBH

Giga Poster

The thing I love about Knoebels is how if they commit themselves to a project, they'll finish it regardless of the time it takes or the costs it produces. Of course they didn't have much troubles with Twister, the Mr. Twister design is still fairly recent (early 1960's I believe) and a standard wood coaster isn't that difficult to build in-house if you know what you're doing. But with this, the last Flying Turns disappeared more than 60 years ago, and the car, track, and layout design were all very new to everybody.

Kudos to them for sticking with it.

Snoo

The Legend

^That can't be right.. two older white men riding together? NO! NOT IN AMERICA! I mean, when someone who doesn't live here says something.. it HAS to be true right?

Photoshopped. I swear it was edited video.

bmac

Giga Poster

BBH said:
...or the costs it produces.

A Knoebel told me the ride paid for itself with the new visitors it brought in over 3 years ago. They could've torn the damn thing down in 2011 and still made a profit on it.

nealbie

CF Legend

Snoo said:
^That can't be right.. two older white men riding together? NO! NOT IN AMERICA! I mean, when someone who doesn't live here says something.. it HAS to be true right?

Photoshopped. I swear it was edited video.

<3

They must have been tourists!

I really want to go!!! Snoo, wanna share a seat with me on our birthday? :lol:

And thanks for the scoop, Jerry. Muchos appreciated!