What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ I'm not. Let's not get personal. Back to Paramount, please...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
So the next round of public consultations are happening at the end of April/early May (have a look on thier website if you are interested in going). I'll be going along but am not expecting much progress, what with the main dude dropping out recently.

A small flier came in the post about the consultations which lists 'world class theme park' at the top of a list of 'key elements' for the site. It also mentions that BBC Worldwide, Aardman (the guys behind Wallace and Gromit) and the British Film Institute have all now signed agreements for the park. It is also the first piece of literature not to have extended the opening date. They're sticking with Easter 2020 for now.

davidm

Strata Poster
Some concept art on their website now, usual non-specific stuff (apart from the woody lurking in the background)

http://www.londonparamount.info/the-pro ... tractions/

port_paramount.png

land_of_legends.png

port_paramount_2.png

adventure_isle.png

spicy

Giga Poster
Well if it gets built and ends up looking anything like that concept art it will be the best themed park in the UK by an absolute mile.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
^That is literally my whole stance in this project.

It'd be fantastic if it happens...like their original aim states, it'd be a rival to Disneyland but if it actually gets off the ground. No groundwork has actually started yet has it?

peep

CF Legend
The concept art is amazing. I'm being optimistic and think the park will open, won't look as breathtaking as the concept but I can see it happening.

Planning application is due to be handed in at the end of the summer and I think if that gets approved we'll be seeing a new park opening up in the UK.

Also the new consultations start today and I will be visiting the one at Bluewater tomorrow evening with Sue, will let you know if we find anything out.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's the UK. Let's see how close they can actually get to that theming with plywood and shipping containers.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
gavin said:
It's the UK. Let's see how close they can actually get to that theming with plywood and shipping containers.

To be fair, I don't think Paultons used a shipping container in any of their recent rethemes...

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Slightly off topic... but kinda not; UK General election coming up, right? To decide who governs us for the next 5 years, right? Massive infrastructure project being discussed here, set to open in 5 years time, with the final decision coming next year, right?

Could the future of this entire thing depend on who's in power at the time??
Leaving all other party politics aside (ie no propaganda please!), is there any indication of which party is most likely to give this thing the green light?

It's important.
This could influence my vote.

peep

CF Legend
That's quite an interesting point but it's probably more worthwhile looking at the local council etc as they'll be the ones in charge of giving the planning application the Yay or nay.

The project already has government backing and I doubt whatever party comes in is going to back down on that decision as it's great for the British economy etc.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
But it's not a cheapskate British company though. IF it does get built then I'm actually quite positive that they'll do a good job (hopefully taking inspiration from Universal). Still don't know if it will happen yet though...

No construction yet. I don't even think they have planning permission yet. That was supposed to be applied for in April but if you look at the latest timeline it says we are now at the stage of 'Spring-Summer public consultation events prior to submission'. I'm assuming that means submission for planning approvals. So we're looking at application in August/September? Maybe another few months before a decision is made. Projects like this will always get pushed back and back in reality, it's expected. Just means we won't know what's going on for a while yet.

On a political note, I think the only party to block this would be the Greens who don't have a hope in hell of getting in. A new Government needs to invest in infrastructure somewhere and this has been a prime location for development for years. How many other brownfield/marshland sites are there that close to London. If Paramount doesn't get built here, something else will. They didn't build the Ebbsfleet international Eurostar station in the middle of a bloody marsh for no reason. That's long-term planning. Plus, as a local, there's pretty much no aggression toward a development here. People in this region think jobs are a priority. It's had a good response, from what I've seen anyway.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Yeah that'll be the same thing. I'm not actually going tonight now (I forgot it's my parent's anniversary - how rude of them!) but will pop along one night.

Looking at the timeline in the PDF it actually says no decision until winter 2016 so construction is way off

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I don't understand the point of the latest concept art. It doesn't seem to convey the concept they're going for at all... It looks less like IP driven park and more like an Animal Kingdom or Disney Sea style park - which is cool, but not sure its right for UK audience? And not convinced they can make a park like that happen anyway. And what's with the random wooden coaster? Whilst concept art isn't there to show actual content, more a general idea, why show a wooden coaster on art that's being released to the public? Just what. Everyone's going to be really disappointed when the park doesn't look like this - not talking about enthusiasts here, this art is just pointlessly lying to potential backers.

the king

Mega Poster
Quick question. From my understanding Paramount is meant to take up all of the peninsula. However, when I went to the site 3 days ago, I found this new addition to the land which is located to the south east. Do the plans show that paramount is going own all of the land, or have I misunderstood what paramount want to own?