What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

Robbie

Hyper Poster
To be fair, though - this isn't a theme park company, it's a property developer. It'll all end up as housing.

Lofty

CF Legend
SHOT. DOWN. IN. FLAMES :lol:

The thing is - the creative company has gone behind this project now, they're no longer involved, which begs the question of "Who the **** is actually doing the work?!" NOBODY, it won't happen.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
And at the same time, the government is fretting over how to save the UK steel industry, and even talking about fast-tracking some national infrastructure projects, to give it boost.

I mean, DURHHH!!!

Half a dozen giant B&M's built with British steel would be a bloody good start!
You couldn't make it up.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I like your sentiment, but...

B&Ms are not built in the UK and not built by British companies - so why would they use British steel?
Even if they were, there are laws against forcing UK companies to use British steel (unless its for defense ect.) - it's called 'protectionism'.
You can't stop companies from buying steel at the cheapest rate possible. For decades (and now, more than ever) that has been China.

That's how capitalism works.

The Paramount Park was never going to happen anyway. It's too big a project to be pulled of in one go. Maybe somewhere else in Europe it would have worked, but it's too costly here in the UK and there's always too much red tape.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I don't see why B&M's need to be made of British Steel.

That's not the only thing made out of steel. And plus, as said, they're not made here, and there's only two parks in the country that actually has coasters built by them.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^That awkward moment when irony (or is it steely?) gets lost in written text.

Ok then, here's an idea. Forget saving the steel industry. Flatten the steel works, build a chuffing great big theme park in its place. Road and rail infrastructure already in place, several thousand new jobs, regeneration, tourism and a humungous, dirty, ugly eyesore replaced by shiny new coasters with trees and landscaping and fountains and stuff. Not even the local NIMBY brigade would put up much of a fight against that.
There you go, Port Talbot saved, the Paramount project saved, UK theme park industry revived, everybody wins.
I'm in the wrong job, me.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Except that the UK steel industry isn't based on the Swanscombe marshes (conveniently located close to London and the major crossing point from mainland Europe).

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Howie's idea is cool because it would indeed create a lot of jobs and it is virtually NIMBY proof but if the UK were to ever get a big new park, it would have to be as South East as possible for maximum accessibility! Most of the big parks already in the UK like Alton and BPP have a very very long history and the climb to becoming a big park was very very gradual.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
He's quite clearly joking about the B&M's and the steel, why are people taking stuff so serious? Lighten up guys.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah and if we could only move Port Talbot to the south-east we'd be onto a winner!

Its a shame (the Paramount thing) really, as its likely to be the only chance the UK will get for a big-new park investment these days; I do really want to believe, just looks less and less likely as it goes on. :(

Howie

Donkey in a hat
owentaylor121 said:
He's quite clearly joking about the B&M's and the steel, why are people taking stuff so serious? Lighten up guys.

Thank youuuuuu.
Finally, somebody on my wavelength! :)

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Howie said:
owentaylor121 said:

Thank youuuuuu.
Finally, somebody on my wavelength! :)
I thought it was pretty obvious, but clearly not! Haha.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Having said that... I was joking, but kinda not. Accessibility issues aside, I still maintain it's a good idea.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
owentaylor121 said:

This! Haha.

Maybe if we forget that this project ever existed we'd all be better off.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
For a laugh, I just had a read through a few of the opening pages of this topic.

Great to see that three and a half years on so much progress has been made.

Also, back then, the park in Spain was on the verge of construction starting apparently.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Re: New Paramount park for England 2018

^Ha, me too.
To be fair, Ben's been spot-on right from the start!

Ben said:
Never gonna happen.
*posted in Oct 2012.