What's new

Is Nemesis the world's best inverted coaster?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah, it's a topic that we go over often in other topics, but I think it deserves it's own and I haven't seen it being discussed in a while.

Like most British coaster enthusiasts, Nemesis was one of my first large roller coasters and certainly my first experience of a B&M inverted coaster, a ride type known for its consistency. They are all very good. I always thought that since Nemesis, the worlds best, was my first all after it would pale in comparison... but that hasn't been the case at all. Now I find myself wondering if it being my first, and one of my most ridden, has caused me to grow bored of it. What makes Nemesis so special is after all it's very unusual compact layout, which doesn't seem very unusual to me at all due to how long and often I've been riding it.

Nemesis is currently sitting 5th on Mitch's poll, and is the highest of the B&M inverts in the poll. The next one to show up is Montu at 20th place, and Black Mamba at 27th. Whether you agree with the general placement of the coasters in Mitch's poll or not (I don't), it is an accurate picture of the roller coaster enthusiast community who can be bothered to vote.

I find rating coasters or putting them in any order very difficult. I've been on (in order) Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno, Black Mamba, Dueling Dragons Ice, Fire, Montu, Alpengeist, Batman: The Ride (SFGAdv), Talon, Great Bear, Raptor, Afterburn and Batman: The Ride (SFOG). The only one I thought was meh was Raptor, all the others I thought were excellent, my favourites are Montu and Batman... I think. There's so much I love about all of them though.

But I find myself wondering more and more, WHAT makes Nemesis so special? Why is it so highly rated? Does anyone here think it deserves the title of the "worlds best inverted coaster"?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Joey, the next invert is Mirabilandia's Katun in the top 10 list...

Does it deserve to be titled the worlds best invert? It's all arguable isn't it? Personally from my experiences, it is, and will take a lot of effort to beat, generally because of everything that was put into it...

And I think the reason why it's so loved by enthusiasts is exactly that, so much effort and planning went into it and I to see that more in rides than just basic thrills, it's the background it was given, the amount of effort and cost AT went into to create the most unique ride landscape at the time (and is still only really rivaled by Black Mamba), and the way in which it was planned to be just completely different from the norm...

Nemesis was my first inverting coaster and arguably first truly MAJOR ride, so for me, ride-wise it's the way it just doesn't seem to let up and keeps going until the brakes, even the stall turns are an important part of the ride in order to give those small moments of calm before the next kick in the balls, rides that are just constant intensity aren't fun, that balance was really done well by John Wardley and B&M...
Elsewhere, the atmosphere and interactivity are very well done, I love the music which just compliments the ride nicely and of course the B&M roar also makes such a perfect combination of things...

Unfortunately I missed out on Alpengeist when I went to Busch and so far from looks that could be the only one that might well contest it to a very tough degree... Though Katun in September could be interesting as well...

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
I think Afterburn followed by Pyrnees, followed by nemesis would be the better order. Especially as Pyrnees was one of the final coasters featured in the bracket polls last summer.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Nemesis has the best aesthetics of any of the inverts in my opinion (including Black Mamba), but as a coaster, I personally don't rate it as the best.

Personally, from what I've ridden:

1. Pyrennees (could've sworn it was just behind Katun in the Mitch Hawker polls, ahead of Montu?)
2. Afterburn
3. Nemesis

Pyrennees and Afterburn don't look as good as Nemesis and are less creative in their use of space. However, I think they offer the better ride. They have Nemesis's intensity, but drawn out over a much longer layout.

marc

CF Legend
I actually think Duelling Dragons/Dragon Challenge is one of the worst inverts I have been on. Yes they work well together but the one on the right does nothing at all, and they only work if your at the front. Plus just like everything else in the park they have got rough and need some TLC. Nemesis I can ride again and again, even with a dead park I could only be bothered with Dragons once.

No1 still for me is Nemesis as Black Mamba dies off to much near the end and I like G. I have a feeling this will change after Italy though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think, like a lot of UK rides, Nemesis wins out simply because it's "so different". Well, there's actually a good ride in there too, but the fact that it doesn't follow a standard B&M pattern just makes it stand out.

You end up then with a kind of situation where it's a good ride, but it feels so much better because there's just nothing else out there that really does things like it. When you look up and see the huge corkscrew above the valley, it's actually a massively high element and you don't usually see corkscrews there. When you're riding though, you're a few feet off the floor right up to that element, so you never realise just how far off the ground it is, and you're whipped down into the helix so quickly it's scary.

It's full of stuff like that, which just makes it interesting, plus it's backed up by high G's and a relatively relentless pace.

I do find picking between the B&M inverts like splitting hairs though. They're all good rides in their own way. I loved Alpengeist simply because it offered that interestingness that Nemesis offered. It was also a decent length :lol:

So no, I don't think it deserves title of World's best inverted coaster, but possibly world's most curious inverted coaster :)

Treeis

Mega Poster
In my opinion, Nemesis is the greatest ride I have even ridden ever. Its not too smooth, not too bumpy and so unique in terms of layout and terrain. And the themeing...wow.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
gavin said:
Nemesis has the best aesthetics of any of the inverts in my opinion (including Black Mamba), but as a coaster, I personally don't rate it as the best.

Personally, from what I've ridden:

1. Pyrennees (could've sworn it was just behind Katun in the Mitch Hawker polls, ahead of Montu?)
2. Afterburn
3. Nemesis

Pyrennees and Afterburn don't look as good as Nemesis and are less creative in their use of space. However, I think they offer the better ride. They have Nemesis's intensity, but drawn out over a much longer layout.
Damn did I miss Pyrenees too when I looked? I remember thinking it was a weird large gap.

Blind.

andrus

Giga Poster
I've only ridden four B&M inverts so I can't say which I think is the best in the world. But out of those four Nemesis places third, so imho it definitely isn't the best invert in the world! A great ride, but not the best..

Here's my B&M invert ranking:

1) Black Mamba
2) Katun
3) Nemesis
4) Nemesis Inferno

Snoo

The Legend
For me:

1. Montu
2. Afterburn
3. Talon
4. Patriot
5. Alpengiest

I think Nemmy would definitely be top 5.. but I really do adore Montu and Afterburn.. Montu being BARELY better.. I might as well call it a tie tbh.

TTDfan52

Mega Poster
My B&M inverts are:

1.) Montu
2.) Raptor
3.) Dragon Challenge
4.) Batman: The Ride

I have not rode Nemesis, but it looks like an awesome ride!

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Nemesis is the best when you take terrain into consideration. For overall performance it ties with Afterburn, but with the extensive theming, nemesis blows it out of the water.

Even though I never rode it, I would say based on looks concept and performance, that Battlestar Galactica Cylon Side looks amazing. That and i <3 Battlestar Galactica.

But for arguments sake Nemesis is the obvious winner.

Tony

Hyper Poster
Well this is how I rank the B&M inverts I've been on :

1. Nemesis
2. Batman La Fuga
3/4. Batman The Ride (SFGam), (SFGadv)
5. Nemesis Inferno

So from what I've ridden it's my favourtie invert anyways but I need to get on one of the larger Inverts.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Nemesis is simply a masterpiece, I can't see any other invert being better to be honest.

For me it's the terrain that makes it such a fantastic ride, and it has quickly become by Number 1 again after realising how much better it is in the front row, where you get a ridiculous sense of speed especially around the helix and the amazing footchopper during the zero-g.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Hard to say really. I've only done 3 inverts (uless you count SLCs, which I suppose are inverts) - Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno and Montu. Montu and Nemesis were obviously the stand-outs, and it's a while since I rode Montu. However, I seem to remember that Nemesis felt better than Montu. I had a stand out ride on Montu, but that was front row.

So, I'd have to reserve judgement until I've been on more, but Nemesis wins so far.

Rush

Giga Poster
No, I don't think it's even the best in the UK but I'm not a fan of the ride at all, to me it just isn't enjoyable enough. Sure the landscaping is fantastic and the layout is different but I think the ride itself is rather average. (Not to mention it's not nearly as intense as everyone makes it out to be. :p) I'd probably put it near the bottom of my favourite Inverts lift, probably just above Silver Bullet which does nothing.

I can see why it is rated so highly compared to other inverts though because it's nothing like any other. It has an unconventional layout, theming and landscaping that's only rivaled by Black Mamba. Seeing as it was built by a company which is often criticised for not being daring or unique enough, I can see why it would be a favourite amongst many coaster enthusiasts.