What's new

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland 2012/13

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Personally I'd recommend doing Wilde Maus (£6) (it's surprisingly speedy and the 2 big drops are fun), Air (£6), Showtime (£5) (I thought the Afterburner would be lame but it packs some serious Gs and lasts long), Alpen Hotel and Blizzard (was either £6 or £8, can't remember) (it may be just another Booster but I THINK it's the medium sized one? Anyway we had a good cycle with high speed and lots of full flips)...I've also heard good things about that pirate walkthrough so that could be worth checking out.

marc

CF Legend
Shocked by the prices tbh they don't even charge that much for the rides at German fairs.

I still want to go on a few of the rides though, the flats more than the coasters.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
marc said:
Shocked by the prices tbh they don't even charge that much for the rides at German fairs.

I still want to go on a few of the rides though, the flats more than the coasters.

I was going to say this. £7-8 is A LOT for a single ride. Doesn't the fair operate with a pay-one-price kind of wristband, even on selected days?

Otherwise, doing all the exciting stuff might be around £40, which is too much.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's you Erol, you're bigger - like Monster Munch aren't the same size any more :)

Nic

Strata Poster
But Monster Munch ARE the same size again now! It even says so on the packet! You're thinking of Wagon Wheels ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend
I heard that Alpen Hotel was only £4....?

The amount they charge is crazy. Like I said earlier in this thread, at Oktoberfest this year Alpina Bahn cost €5!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nic said:
But Monster Munch ARE the same size again now! It even says so on the packet! You're thinking of Wagon Wheels ;)

It's a lie. When I was five, Monster Munch where as big as my hand*! My Dad used to use Wagon Wheels as replacements for broken bus wheels too.

*Obviously a point proving exaggeration but... I think they have taken them back to the size they were before the last resize. When I was little, those ones with the odd toe/leg thing sticking out to one side couldn't actually, physically fit into the mouth of a child whole. It scraped the sides of your lips and filled your entire mouth so when you bit down, it was crushed between the roof of your mouth and your tongue/lower jaw. This caused the - in those days, made from concrete - crisp to simply rip apart the skin inside your mouth. Every single corn flavoured snack was an agonising triumph of taste sensation over abject pain. Though they paled in comparison to Beef Burger flavoured Outer Spacers: http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2009/04/ ... r-spacers/

Sorry, what was this topic about again? :lol:

WildMouse

Roller Poster
I felt short changed after riding Air last year. I foolishly thought that it might have been run on a better cycle than Bling. :p
I'm heading down to Winter Wonderland tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to riding Wilde Maus XXL (not had a coaster fix since June!). May also give London City Roller Coaster a go seeing as it spited me (as Grizzly) during my one and only visit to Lightwater Valley. The StarFlyer also looks pretty tempting. But we shall see (depends whether the budget allows it). Will definitely be stopping by the Carousel Bar for beverages and the Bavarian village for a bratwurst or two!

I won't be bothering with Alpen Hotel this year, but it's definitely worth a go if you've yet to experience it.

Nic

Strata Poster
This is almost certainly a stupid question, but what actually IS Alpen Hotel? I'm guessing it's not just a Travelodge full of Museli (cause they'd charge you more than £4 for that...)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Fairly sure that Ollie from here (I assume, saw coasterollie) has a walkthrough on Youtube if you're curious.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
399999_10151167834603269_1805080908_n.jpg

Ohhhh Pretty.... they just posted this on FB

Smithy

Strata Poster
But it'll be more fun when I take my gf on it and she's not got a clue what to expect :D

Winter Wonderland is currently very busy. We are holding people at the entrances and entry will be staged – letting more people through as others leave. People with pre-booked tickets will be fast-tracked through. Hyde Park Corner tube station is currently closed, with exit only at Green Park, Knightsbridge and Marble Arch. Please bear with us during this busy time.

Uh oh. I know it's a weekend but you'd have thought they'd deal with it a bit better. Glad I'm off on Monday tbh.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
^
Just been to winter wonderland today and it was extremely busy and crowded and there was bearly any places where you could just stop. Most of the rides had pretty long queues too (for a fair) which unfortunately meant them running shorter cycles, but I still had great time.