What's new

Goodbye Superbowl (PBB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Superbowl was past its sell by date, its old, worn out and needed removing. The space it was on, can be put to much better use and it'll open up the park entrance, rather than walking in and straight away coming across some horrible looking ride which was enough to ruin anyone's first impressions of the park.

Pleasure Beach has always been tarred with the same brush as Blackpool as a whole, that its tacky and run down, but Pleasure Beach is doing its upmost to move away from that image and they are doing a good job of it.

Most people tend to forget that people visit Blackpool regardless of what Pleasure Beach do, which means people will always visit the park, regardless of whats new or been removed.

I mean look at this year for example, no new rides, rides were closed and left SBNO, and the park had one of its best years for a long time.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Scott88 said:
Most people tend to forget that people visit Blackpool regardless of what Pleasure Beach do, which means people will always visit the park, regardless of whats new or been removed.

Anecdotal I know, but...

I've spoken to four people this year who have gone to Blackpool in groups for a weekend away. They've all gone to the Pleasure Beach, and all turned back due to the charges.

They want to go to the Pleasure Beach for the tack and the tat and don't want something upmarket. People go to Blackpool for a laugh at the weekend, Pleasure Beach are avoiding this kind of person.

So where is their new target market? People to come specifically to the Pleasure Beach? Well, they may be able to make a "superbly pretty park" over the next ten or twenty years, but until then, gate figures will be down year on year.

That's if it's really their plan though? It may just be that they're clearing space slowly while they earn enough to make an investment.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Those who turn there back on the charges, have clearly no intention of spending much in the park? If they wont part with a fiver to get in, then how much are they going to spend on the park? Not much.

Gate figures may have dropped this year, but thats because less people are going in and walking around, but they were only spending money on the game stalls and that was about it.

Now you have a park full of people are willing to pay money to get in, go on the rides and contribute to the parks takings, rather than walk around, drop litter and contribute nothing to the park.

I'll probably come across as sad for saying this, but I went the Pleasure Beach a lot of times this year, more than I've ever done so before and it's started to get the spark back, the pathways might not be full, but the queuelines are and thats not because of low capacity, the capacity on the rides is no worse than in previous years when it was free to get in.

At first I was worried about the entrance fee, but it didnt stop hen and stag parties going on the Pleasure Beach, didnt stop older people walking about from time to time and it certainly hasnt stopped thrillseekers going in.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's clearly better to have somebody spending no money than some money?

Economics is not Amanda's strongest point...

I agree that in the most cases, people would have bought the wristbands anyway (at whatever it is for a single ride on the Big One now, I'd be shocked if people were stupid enough not to). I don't have a problem with that at all, I think people wanting to go for more than an hour and on a few rides would have always got the wristband and the entrance fee won't put them off.

However, it's still the same scenario. Person goes in, goes on maybe the ghost train, Big Dipper, plays a couple of side shows and buys a hot dog. Multiply that by maybe a 1,000,000? They've paid more per go on the Ghost Train and Big Dipper than a band holder has. So right away there is more profit per head from "casual" visitors than band buyers. Band buyers are also more likely to leave the Pleasure Beach to find food and return later as they have a more prolonged stay.

I think the decision is purely a social one, and has nothing to do with actual economics. I think Amanda sees the people who don't want to buy bands as being the "types" she doesn't want in her park. Fair enough, but you have a sea side funfair in Blackpool love, it's not Vegas...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if the new dodgems are pay per play or not. I'm also very interested in what the plans are for the huge space :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Nothing is enticing me to go to Blackpool at all nowadays... Simple as...

Making people spend money to get into the park for £5 may not seem too bad at first, BUT then they realise they have to spend more for one ride on most of the coasters, and considering the current climate right now economically, that's not good business...

Blackpool as a town as known as being tacky, and that's part of the old British sea-side charm, and being able to wander around Pleasure Beach was part and parcel of the area, just able to walk around and take it in, even if casual people spent minimal money, that's still money coming into the park, instead now putting people off coming into the park from the off is reducing the overall income of the park, as fewer people are coming in... They may be getting some more money from people, but fewer are coming into the park...

There is very little classic about Blackpool these days, which is what I adored about Kennywood, the classic rides that don't exist can be really fun (look up Kennywood's Kangeroo for example), and they show rare pieces of theme park history, I hope Dreamland can get theirs sorted because it'll prove that these rides can be used in a modern day sea-side park, which is something Amanda doesn't seem to see...

I haven't been to Blackpool since Infusion arrived, and I haven't ever really wanted to go back... A lot will need to be done to entice me...

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ This year is probably a one off though, most parks had a very good year this year.

And Scott, you can't really stick up for PB with this one. Yes removing Super Bowl is a good idea, and I suppose a Dodgems is the only kind of attraction you could replace the Whip with, but there's no need to give the lease to that HB Leisure. Not that I could give a monkeys about Dodgems anyway, but having them as pay per ride is a joke.

Fantasy Island have been doing the same this year. This was the first year that they ha offered wristbands, so they added a Waltzers, Ice Rink, Quad bikes & Horror Maze, all of which were pay per ride, and all bar the Waltzers were a complete FAIL.

At the end of the day though, its good business for the park, regardless of the popularity of the ride, the Plesh will still be making money from the lease.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm on the fence with this one.

If the replacement dodgems are going pay-per-ride, that's just another blatant attempt at squeezing yet more money from paying customers. We've seen a lot of that from the Pleasure Beach over the past year, and this is yet another black mark against the place.

That said, if the wristband prices don't see further increases, the other rides are all running and we see a decent new ride (that isn't too nauseating) on the old Superbowl site, I'd consider that a fair trade off.

That's a lot of 'if's.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Like you, I dont know exactly what is going to replace Superbowl. I was up in Blackpool yesterday to see if any progress around that area has been made, and nothing has changed to be honest.

I am just assuming that its going to be a new water feature/gardens sort of area, because most people around the park have said that is what will happen, but without seeing any evidence of construction work yet, its still hard to call what will actually replace Superbowl.

On another note, Rollercoaster will not be SBNO next season.

marc

CF Legend
How did Blackpool do this year? Other parks are saying they had record numbers just interested in knowing how they done.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Not totally sure Marc.

I think guest figures will have dropped because less people walk around the park for free nowadays.

I am pretty sure somebody in the park said that it was there best year since 1997, which is likely as the rides were always busy this season and it was rare for any of them to be running on low capacity.

Roller & Goldmine were taken off the SBNO list in the summer, even before the Dipper incident, because the demand was so high in the park.

tks

Strata Poster
I still don't like the idea of HAVING to pay to get into Blackpool. It's distancing itself from the actual "resort" too much.

And as for adding in upcharges... GAH. I don't mind them adding in a newer dodgems, just why do you have to pay for it?

In 20 years time Blackpool will have become nothing but one big ****ing fountain..

Karen

Hyper Poster
Do you thik they might replace it with a first aid station for all the vomiters like in RCT tehe but it won't be for people being sick from the rides but from the food poisoning!

Martyn B

CF Legend
I think the PB done extremely well with the 'Celebrate Summer' campaign, £20 wristbands etc. That was a mega success and is probably responsable for the good year they had.

Like I mentioned before, Infusion done wonders for the park, so lets hope they realise that large investments can pay off!

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
I think the PB done extremely well with the 'Celebrate Summer' campaign, £20 wristbands etc. That was a mega success and is probably responsable for the good year they had.

Like I mentioned before, Infusion done wonders for the park, so lets hope they realise that large investments can pay off!

Agreed, the Celebrate Summer campaign was a huge success and I really do think it would be a shame if they dont do the same thing again next summer.

To be honest though, even when the Celebrate Summer campaign finished, Saturday's were very busy until the end of the season, and October half term week saw Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday's ride close go from 7pm to 9pm, which is not usual for midweek in Blackpool, in October!

If anyone doesnt believe PBB was that busy over summer, check this;

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewt ... m=bickopbb

It was a very busy summer at Pleasure Beach.

Ben

CF Legend
Busy =/= Profit.

Lines =/= Profit.

Profit = Important.

So, in conclusion, a park having a busy year when the whole UK tourism industry, and EVERY OTHER FRIGGIN PARK is having a good year, yeah, that really means jack ****.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Busy =/= Profit.

Lines =/= Profit.

Profit = Important.

Exactly...

Chessie was busy this year, but due to the power issues lost a lot of money...

But Blackpool is getting sillier every year now... It hasn't built something that's made me want to go back... Ever... Grand National was ruined by H&S, as was Rollercoaster... Rides being put on closed lists... It's a nightmare park right now...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Rollercoaster is much better now Benin - sorry for the heresy, but it is :)

I also found the Nash in its first year of new trains absolutely blinding - best it had ever run. Sadly, last year it was atrocious - so I don't know now :(

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I thought it was a fairly well accepted idea that Amanda wants to turn BPPB into a place for shows and entertainment?

That's what I've been getting for years, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.