What's new

Did Th13teen live up to the hype and your expectations?

Martyn B

CF Legend
It all depends on the person, for me I hate air and can easily go to Alton and not ride it. This will be the same with me and 13 and tbh Saw as well.

My god, is Saw really that bad?

marc

CF Legend
The only thing that could happen is the trees in the area will grow so the outside part goes through more trees. Again this will not make the coaster any better.

As I said before when you are on the final run the only theming there assemberly point signs, this does not look very good tbh.

I also do not get this Japanese theme thats going on. Alton Towers is in the UK and 13 is meant to be discovered ruins in the UK I assume?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I seem to remember saying in the construction topic after the reaction to the GMTV video...

'You mean they replaced a family coaster... With another one?'

If Alton had advertised it as such, would we have the current flavour of reaction? Enthusiasts wouldn't have got their hopes up so high (although the Towers mob seemed to just rise highest due to the SW thing), and hence may be more accepting to the fact it is a great coaster for families...

And for those preparing arguements about the theme not being suitable for families, look at Hex and Duel and basically every single haunted house ever made that are suitable for families...

The problem with Thirteen was the advertising making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread for thrill-seekers, when it is only that for families... The whole 16+ to ride bollocks they brought out ended up with them shooting themselves in the foot as it wouldn't interest the families with kids just over 1.2m (depending on that child's views to 'scary' things)... I don't really remember seeing that many near the height limit in the queue (about the only time was Aidan I think)...

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I know this is going back quite a bit and is quite random in this present discussion but the Fastrack queue was pretty long. I don't know if anybody saw it, but where the Fastrack/ Single Rider queue split off into said sections the Fastrack queue was as long as the Single Rider queue plus a zig-zag section that obviously can be opened if neccessary. It's much longer than any Fastrack section I've seen before, so if this is full frequently that would really impair the queue time.

To jump on the band wagon with all the marketing talk, I'm sick of people asking me "How was Thirteen" followed by "Did you have to sign a wager", "Did you have to be 16-55 to get on it" or "Was it the scariest ride you've ever been on". I just find myself saying no to lots of things and destroying the hype in their tiny GP minds. I try to get the point across that it's a good family ride and it's still worth going on, but as soon as the word 'family' comes out of my mouth they go "Ohhh" and aren't really interested after that. Comments like "That's a shame because I wanted to go this year" follow. That might explain why Alton tried to avoid the family approach, if it has connotations that would discorouge other audiences from visiting immediately.

bladeboy

Roller Poster
I went on Thirteen four times today and enjoyed it every single time. The dropping track is a really good concept and I think it's going to be unique for quite some time - I doubt many of these roller coaster will open all across the UK. I thought the ride had a good opening, a very good dropping sequence and the backwards section was really good. I always like it when a ride gets better towards the end. As much as I like the Big One it's a bit annoying that it goes downhill from the first drop (No pun intended!)

As for the advertising I'm still not sure. Advertising a family roller coaster is hard to do - it needs to be a big deal as they've spent fifteen million, but they also ended up overselling the ride. However in terms of getting people interested it's works. Even if people come of the ride dissapointed they've already paid to go in so target acheived.

Ben

CF Legend
UC said:
I really think the Japanese theme thing is a stretch. I find it very difficult to believe that that was the intention when building the theming for Thirteen, and honestly, it sounds to me to be more of a comparison that was made that people are latching on to.

I highly doubt 99.9% of the riders on Thirteen will ever make said connection. I know I certainly couldn't, even knowing such a comparison exists.

You have seen the adverts right :wink:

I'd love to know anyone that didn't see that girl and think "RING".

Ben

CF Legend
There's always one...

My point was that the comparisons are there to be drawn. Whether or not they're DELIBERATE or not, is another question. But, that girl is very Samara.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Just been watching some of the videos for Th13teen. I didn't initially think Japanese horror, but now you say the Ring it makes sense. I thought it was an extension of Hex theming - certainly the tree roots around the building and van in the queue line seem to fit with this, but the hand? and the lepers? It all seems a bit odd really.

I reckon the pre-watershed video was quite good without the girl, really built up suspense with the black screen before the drop.

I also had a look at the GMTV thing - OMG! Had to turn the volume down - can that woman scream? The guy next to her is so unimpressed - haha!

Ollie

CF Legend
^I love on the GMTV one the guy next to the woman sneaks a peek at her tits going up the lift-hill. I didn't notice it until someone in the comments mentioned it and now it's really obvious and you can't miss it. :lol:
The screaming on the ITV one hurts my ears as well. The mic went spastic picking up the sound.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Oh, and it's slightly off topic, but I don't think calling the GP "Tiny minded" is very appropriate...I struggle even using the term "GP."

That was sarcasm mate, summing up how some people view the 'public' while reviewing new attractions like this.

...except they instead opted for a marketing strategy that totally alienates the family crowd (the biggest spenders at theme parks, by the way), and leaves the older crowd disappointed.

I agree actually. A way like Everest for example. I've been comparing these two rides too much, but that marketing was cool. It didn't eliminate any audiences, yet made the ride look cool and mysterious. However, Merlin just seem to be addicted to making a mountain out of every molehill they come across.

It was too long ago for me to remember clearly, but surely a way like Tower of Terror was advertised? I can't remember that being new at all, but surely that would have had a creepy, scary yet family feel to it? If I remember, on the adverts, it looked scary but a family was walking through, wearing bright colours and mickey ears, etc. So the surroundings were scary but by having a family experience the attraction Disney automatically got families to associate the ride with families. But the Disney brand itself could have played a lot in that (since, I'm sure, a lot of people would assume every ride at Disney is a family attraction).

To conclude my point, everything I've seen that shows riders on Th13teen has a train full of adults.

Nic

Strata Poster
I was going to write this myself, but I can't be arsed. Anyone feel like condensing this topic into approx 400 words for On Track? It needs to be professional, and balanced, covering a range of opinions.

If you think you're up to the job, please email me nic@coasterforce.com

I'd ideally want this done and sent to me for monday night.

Please help! On Track won't write itself!

Brookes

Giga Poster
People are reporting on Towers Times, who have been on certain days throughout the week, that there are random human bushes; actors dressed up to be camouflaged with the bushes around the queue and are jumping out at people around the area and in the queue. Apparently it is quite scary and should add to the area. Also there is said to have been little updates to Th13teen that have happened throughout the week, such as upgrades on lightning and bins.

nealbie

CF Legend
^ The bush people thing is true.

HOWEVER

Other than hilarity, it doesn't really add anything to the area at all. Managed to get one of them to talk to us though, which amused many a passing guest :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
I don't go to parks to stand in lines.

Ahhhh, an Alton Towers Virgin! :p

I've been doing a lot of reading around this, and the ride is getting a lot of "Hex" love. It's not a great ride, but there's something a little captivating about it - you just need to understand the coaster bit is more of a transport ride than coaster :p

Or maybe not... ;)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
UC said:
I don't go to parks to stand in lines.

No-one does, but it's a fact of life that most of the time the rides will have queues... And having stuff interact with you in any queue that helps keep you entertained and what-not is still a good idea...

Just a shame it's all marketed wrong...

And maybe speeding up the lift/removing the trims would help the outdoor portion considerably... As well as the growing trees...