What's new

Did Th13teen live up to the hype and your expectations?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think the drop with cameras and strobes with the wraiths coming at you would be good - just tilting...

They need effects or wraiths in the tunnel too to look like you're being chased... And a story :p

Brookes

Giga Poster
What other effects do they reckon they have Brookes?

I'm not sure which exactly, but I read on towers nerd, that the wraith at the bottom of the inside drop comes towards you as you go backwards, and they also said on there that there were a few other effects missing.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Sounds interesting... Knowing my luck the first time I go on the front row will be the time that that thing happens and scare the crap out of me :lol:

I don't think I mentioned that the back row is most likely the best seat (as usual), especially during the backwards section... And the whole experience gets improved when John Wardley is operating the ride when you go on it :lol:

And he broke it :D

Martyn B

CF Legend
At the moment, it reminds me of most Disney coaster's, average but made 100 times better with some excellent themeing.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
The first time I went on it, the drop was like in two parts. A small faster one and then a longer just gentle drop to the bottom. I thought this was a bit naff but the first one did make me jump slightly.

Having gone on it a second time, I really did like it more, maybe because I was second to the back. I got some airtime going down the first hill and could hear the cracking sound effects more in the crypt. The full fast drop was better and the backwards bit is good fun.

Amusing that one of the fastest bits is when you are launched forward onto the brake run.

It's a good family ride but they have shot themselves in the foot slightly with a dark theme that would lead to kids not going on it but would enjoy the coaster itself.

I wouldn't queue for more than half an hour or so but would enjoy riding it as I think I will always be a bit shocked when it drops.

Given that the crypt bit was supposed to be a secret, advertising it blatently on the posters of the ride was quite odd and ruined it for me as I hadn't spoiled myself.

Note: The Sun was still saying you had to be over 16 to go on it yesterday.

Brookes

Giga Poster
^I agree on the map they call it "the ultimate theme park thrill ride - every ride you've ever dreamed of in one". Personally I thought the ride itself for what it was was brilliant, and I came off loving it, but to market it like they have is just ridiculous.

TJH

Roller Poster
Brookes said:
^I agree on the map they call it "the ultimate theme park thrill ride - every ride you've ever dreamed of in one". Personally I thought the ride itself for what it was was brilliant, and I came off loving it, but to market it like they have is just ridiculous.

Yeah from what I have seen I too think that the head of marketing shold be sacked. Oh and also could you describe for me every effect and theming you saw in the crypt?

Rush

Giga Poster
I think Alton have really failed with their marketing of the ride. The ride is just not a thrill ride, not in the slightest. Instead they've marketed it as the scariest ride ever blah blah blah and have potentially eliminated the family audience, what Thirteen should be aimed at.

I thought the ride was okay. The outdoor section really was pants. It was dull, forceless and slow. Not the ingredients for a thrill ride in any means. Also, what's up with the trims? I really don't think it needs them.

I actually really enjoyed the crypt section, having not watched the GMTV report or seen any trailers. It took me by surprise and gave some fun willy-lift. The backwards section was okay, but it needed something else to it. (I don't know whether it did have any effects which weren't working.)

I only got on it once, but I wasn't in a hurry to re-ride it yesterday. Out of ten, I'd probably give it a five. Good family ride but I can't say it thrilled me in the slightest.

Ben

CF Legend
The marketing worked, but, is a bit silly.

Uh, the ride itself... I was pleasantly surprised. It's nowhere near the best in the park, but, it's a great family coaster.

The trims kinda kill it though.

nealbie

CF Legend
I was in danger of liking it the second time around - then the "world's first" bit happened. All such thoughts vanished. Piss poor, imo.

But despite being a let down, it's still a better coaster than Saw. A 3, maybe?

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
The ride definately grew on me. I rode it a number of times and it got better until I rode at the front, and then it started to go down for me. Still, a brilliant addition. It adds to Alton a high quality family roller coaster. I went today (Sunday) and what was interesting were the views of the general public. As you can imagine today was less filled with enthusiasts compared with yesterday. Here's some views of the public:

"That's the best ride ever!" says 10(ish) year old girl sat at the front coming back into the station. "That's her third time on it" says who is presumably her Mum sat next to her.

"That was really clever, definately worth the wait because it really is a clever piece of kit" says two late 20s/ early 30s guys.

"Wow, that ride was utter **** until you went into the building and then it was proper sick" - 18 year old (ish) chav talking to his girlfriend, who agreed.

These three points said something to me. The children enjoy it because it's an awesome family coaster, the adults appreciate the technological side of it, and the teens/ chavs actually enjoy the drop/ backwards section because it's something different, unexpected and actually is pretty cool. The latter two took me by suprise, and I really thought Alton have nailed this on the head. I expected a lot more dissapointed people with the way this has been advertised, but I heard few negative comments. The only ones I heard were about the first half being crap and the drop section being too small. I personally hate the trims, but the coaster would go way too fast up the second climb hill otherwise, and that second airtime opportunity is quite harsh as it is, let alone if the trims weren't there (from a family perspective). Whether that's poor design, or just so that coaster has the height and the intimidation, I don't know. Someone much more intelligent than me will have to tell you that.

Personally, I like it. It's not amazing, but I love the theme and the whole Dark Forest area. The first section is dull. I personally think it is much better at the front and, with the lap bar up a notch, there are two opportunities for some fun airtime. Obviously, the drop section offers some too. I also love the feeling of having friends in the front row of other trains and being able to see each other going round the coaster, waving, at other sections of the track. I love it when that interaction happens on coasters, and it very rarely does. The backwards section is great, and I love the feeling of hysteria once the train drops and starts going backwards. Especially on Sunday with people who weren't expecting it, the feeling was pretty awesome.

Overall, fantastic addition. We heard kids saying it was better then Everest (a bit too far I reckon) but it is almost like a British equivalent. A true family ride caters for everyone, and this coaster actually seems to.

In response to the theme being a bit too 'scary' for kids, I think that option is a lot better then it seeming too kiddy for the rest of us. I think it's a perfect theme because it's eerie for everyone, no matter how old you are, but it's not 'in-your'face' scary nor innapropiate for younger riders. As I said, Alton have hit the nail on the head, and it's a pretty decent addition anyway.

As for me, it won't make my top 10. It won't be anywhere near. But, as an enthusiast, I can see it's a brilliant addition for the park and I don't think they could have got a much better reaction at all.

Did it live up to it's hype? No (but we knew it wouldn't). Do the 'general public' think it lives up to it's hype? Only time will tell, but it's looking good.

EDIT: P.S. I love Rita's new colours, she looks pretty awesome, and rides better then ever in my opinion. Dunno why, but I enjoyed that more than I have done in ages.

Novas

Mega Poster
Time for my full opinion.

Ok, far too much positivity on here.

The area is very underwhelming. What has actually been themed in The Dark Forest? Answer: The very basics. Shops, fascias, rides. Nothing near the level of FV. No random displays, interactive elements or serious themeing. If I'm going to be really harsh (and I am,) Ug Land had more in place during its first couple of seasons (with the tree house) than the Dark Forest has now.

Rita station building is an improvement, tho the lack of the radio station and the rubbish station voiceover were a shame.

Now, 13, the Psycoaster, the ULTIMATE RIDE, the show stopper, the world first, 16+ to ride, with a park doctor on site in case you crap yourself into a coma. It is awful.

Queue line has ONE bit of ok themeing in the outdoor section, which is the van. The rest? Some piles of dirt and some old tree branches. Woop. The indoor section of the queue is nice, but very very short, and the only special effect/show piece in it (a Valhalla style lightning ball) was broken all day. Dispatch station very nice aside from the rubbish fluffy black sheet on the ceiling (assume it’s unfinished.)

Outdoor section starts promisingly, till you get to the top of the lift hill anyway. First drop is a decent size and has a nice pop of airtime till you hit the first trim brake, which is needlessly located half way down the drop! Few twists and turns lead you to the indoor section, good fun, but not white knuckle.

The drop feature is a waste. You’re in the building for about 5 seconds before the drop. There is no story, no explanation, no movement, and no sounds. In short the special effects are limited to some green fairy lights. Seriously, £15 MILLION can buy you a projector, a fog machine, a siren, a creepy voiceover, ANYTHING would have been nice, but there really is no build up at all. The drop itself is fun, but again not high enough to be scary at all. It doesn’t feel like a free fall, by the time you realise your dropping you’ve hit the bottom.

Next the reverse section, which isn’t a ‘launch,’ it’s some kicker wheels that propel you backwards at a fair pace through the dark. It’s ok, but again no special effects apart from a random air cannon, and it’s no more intense than a backwards helix on X at Thorpe, from err... 1996?! Some strobes or lights would have added a slight sense of speed.

I rode it twice, and I’m in no rush to ride it again. On the exit I may have offended the coaster guru by screaming “IT SUCKED” without realising he was stood 5ft away. Tbh I think he witnessed alot of that throughout the morning. Perhaps I was disappointed and just looking for it, but I did not see this ride as a hit, even with the GP. I have never seen so many people strug there shoulders and respond with “Is alright” when asked of their opinion. The ride is the epitome of mediocrity.

Give the technology to Disney or somene who knows what they are doing. Hex was clearly a fluke.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm sorry but saying there is far too much positivity on here is just pathetic. People are entitled to their own opinions...

I for one loved it. I thought it was an excellent family ride. It was much better then I expected and the full train I was on seemed to really love it aswell. Hearing people over-talking all day seemed to prove that Alton have done theirselves justice. I didn't hear anything bad about the ride all day, some average sayings, but nothing bad. Actually I lie, I heard one bad comment from another Enthusiast group who was also there, any guesses who I mean?

Novas

Mega Poster
-lofty- said:
I'm sorry but saying there is far too much positivity on here is just pathetic. People are entitled to their own opinions...

Please get a fecking sense of humor.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Please get some "fecking" respect for your fellow members...

He responded in polite manor, so how dare you respond in such a knob-like way.

Novas

Mega Poster
Ok, this is absolutly ridiculous. Prehaps my personality doesn't transpire well onto the internet, but in my mind the response was a pendantic comment in to my blatantly light hearted comment.

I'm a grumpy, snappy ball of living breathing bile, and I guess I need to watch my posts more carfully till I've been here a little longer and people get use to that. So if the origional comment really was misconstrued to the extent that it appears to have been, then I sincerly apoligise and I hope we can leave it there.

nadroJ

CF Legend
OK, my thoughts. I liked the thing. I knew it dropped and yet it still took me by surprise. On my first go I was seated second from front so the first drop was a bit 'meh' and I recieved little/no airtime. The indoor part was cool but, like furie said, needs more theming in the backwards section. I also stand by what I said that in summer, when the trees fill out a bit, the outdoor section won't feel so 'unthemed'.

I didn't realise that the scaffolding was actually theming, but once I realised and got used to the idea I decided I quite liked it. Also, a little shout out for slight Rita re-theme and UgLand re-theme. Good job there Alton, much better than expected.

The only thing for me, and it may seem like a little thing but it annoyed me and I feel it ruins the area a little bit, is the gargantuan amounts of wooden fence panel queue line things. They just look half-arsed, lazy and cheapen the whole area. I felt they really detracted from the 'evil' of the theme and this really annoyed me. More work on your queue lines next time Alton!

Overall, as a family coaster, which as much as we complain about false advertising blah blah we all knew this would BE, I think it's brilliant. It's not too babyish so kids of all ages will give it a go, it's not so intense and intimidating that they'll never ride it again, and as much as we hate to admit it, it actually does do something unique, even if it is a bit lacklustre.

Can't wait to see what Alton give us next, they really seem to have improved the past couple of seasons and from now on I only have high hopes for the future.

marc

CF Legend
Well I had 2 goes on the coaster and the 1st time the drop did not work properly so my 1st thought were what a pile of ****. We did not know the drop had not worked properly btw.

The coaster is trimmed on a drop I mean what the hell, and yes your can feel the trim. The coaster is then trimmed up the next hill to stop to much air time. At the front I got zero airtime people at the back said they got some. Is the worlds 1st a trimmed drop after a lift hill? It is such a strange feeling, you start to speed up slow down then go again.

The effects? what effects? Some green lights do not equal effects in my book.

The backwards bit going through a wood tunnel, again no effects.

It just does not work on any level.

Maybe I am spoilt by coasters like the mummy that have proper theming and a story.

2nd go the drop worked so it was better, but you have to look at the floor to know what you are meant to be falling though.

The story of the coaster is not told anywhere.

Positives are the coaster has a good throughput 70 mins from the end of the queue so that was ok. Its a good family coaster thats about it really.

For me the only coaster it is better than is the Beasty sorry but I enjoy the Mine Train more as it has more force.

Had Alton marketed this coaster different it would work. But is it scary no! is it the ultimate coaster? No! So on both parts it fails.

The coaster is ok, thats about it. If you like family coasters you will like this, if you like big thrill rides with force and effects like me you probably wont.

-lofty- you probably heard the comment from me, but that was after my 1st go when the drop did not work properly but he did not know it had not worked lol.

MarsdenDean

Roller Poster
So is this coaster scary then like it has been dubbed? I very rarely write on here, i mainly read without commenting, because i don't really know loads about coasters, but i do know i love them!

So, is it really as scary as AT was making out, and are they still trying to take £1 for the fake health insurance?