What's new

Did Th13teen live up to the hype and your expectations?

Enicomb

Mega Poster
marc said:
Yes after the backwards section whilst you are waiting to go forwards again, its like the ride is over and they gave up with the theming.

Hmm, that wasn't the impression I got; it's a graveyard. :?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It's quite suprising that they have the assembly point signs everywhere tbh... The only one in the UK with them...

If there's a proper evacuation for whatever reason staff members will be telling people where to go anyway so the point of them is... confusing...

marc

CF Legend
^Its called theming Merlin style lol :)

You know it makes me laugh the difference between the park, the guy at Chessington was going into one about a bin being out of place and that you could see a roof yet Alton are quite happy to stick them sill signs there totally un themed.

Yes the public might not notice so whatever, I just thought it would not have taken much to theme the signs. Maybe they will in time when the area is finished.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
Fair point; now I'm less confused :)

I only really noticed the assembly point signs just after you come out of the station and onto the first lift hill; which IMO is where the theme is at it's worst. Didn't really notice them on the last part :eek:

Ollie

CF Legend
What I dont get is why some of the themeing looks nothing like the concept art.

What happened to this entrance?
4611_83162737429_653277429_1762558_4978949_n.jpg

Also there's an awesome Thirteen simulator here:
http://www.towersnerd.com/features/game ... irteen.php

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Concept art never looks like the real thing. Look at Saw, Wild Asia at CWoA and now Th13teen.

Concept art is really just for powerpoint presentations etc, not a blueprint for the actual ride.

Never take concept art on face value. Never.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Concept art is to sell the idea, to convey the general theme, mood, etc about any given thing. In the case of rides, it's there to illustrate what the theme is, general appearances, particular ride features (such as Manta's Splash down), etc.

Basically, it illustrates (and sells) the CONCEPT.

I don't go to parks to stand in lines.
The queueline is part of the ride. It's part of the anticipation building and where the guest constructs his or her own narrative about the ride. Queue length and what you observe within it drastically affects the ride.

In short, you're wrong.

You may not go specifically to queue, but it's part of the package.

Jools

Giga Poster
I got what I expected because I prepared myself for an overhyped ride, but does anyone know why they only load the first 3 cars, I really admire them for how fast they dispatch the trains, but the queues would be slashed if the other two cars were loaded, does the ride have weight issues. On another note, the trims on the drop pissed me off big time, the drop is good, it begins to make your belly go, then you slow down! :evil: And its all pretty much average until the indoor section which I loved! Little pops of airtime outside, nothing amazing, but would be even better without the brakes!

Manderr

Mega Poster
^They were running the entire train full when I was there on Thursday.

Suprisingly, it exceeded my expectations and I actually really enjoyed it. I rode expecting a family-orientated, fun coaster and it delivered.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I was there on Thursday too. Went over to Dark Forest first to find one of the trains stopped on the second lift hill, and was told they didn't know how long the delay would be. They then began unloading the passengers from the train stopped on the hill, of course after harnessing them all to the fence for health and safety reasons :lol:

Went back at around 4pm to find it running 3 trains, yet one of the trains was running empty. It was like this for all 2 hours 5 minutes of the queue.

I enjoyed the drop, would have been nice to have something in the backwards section though.
Tbh I enjoyed the coaster section too, well what little of it there was. The trim on the first drop really annoyed me, it felt abit like being on a pirate ship as it slows down- "WEEEEEE.. ohhh".

On the whole it didn't make sense though. I think it's more the fact that it's trying to be something that it's not, and it doesn't even have a story to back it up.

NASHER

Roller Poster
I rode this six times in the last two days...and have some very strong feelings on it.
First of all, I think it is absolutely the BEST ride Alton Towers have installed since Nemesis, and the BEST family ride in the country by a long shot...
If Alton didn't rave about this being a "psycocoaster" and the scariest ride they've ever built then I think enthusiast's opinions would be very different. In the Hotel, the advertising material advised me that "nothing will prepare you for the sheer intensity of this ride..."
this is where Alton went wrong. They have created a fantastically themed family attraction, certainly some of the best themeing in the UK, and ruined it with an awful advertising campaign.
The TV adverts were well suited to the ride, but the constant "news" story about the ride being the most terrifying thing known to man served to completely alienate the audience the ride should have been pitched at.
I thought the outdoor section was great, if a little short, certainly when riding in the back seats. I got more airtime on th13teen in the back row than I did on Oblivion, and certainly far better airtime than Rita. The rest of the outdoor section was ruined slightly by the trims, but it will certainly be far improved when the trees grow back a bit.
The indoor drop was fantastic, even though some of the effects weren't working, and I enjoyed the backwards section as well.
So all in all...I love Th13teen. I just hate what Alton Towers have done with it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ok, we're hearing a LOT of "the effects weren't working." Are there actually supposed to be any more than most people seem to be seeing?

I think we could be assuming that there should be something happening, when in actual fact maybe there's nothing there?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
gavin said:
Ok, we're hearing a LOT of "the effects weren't working." Are there actually supposed to be any more than most people seem to be seeing?

I think we could be assuming that there should be something happening, when in actual fact maybe there's nothing there?

Honestly not sure about the crypt, but there is meant to be something in the indoor queueline... Or at least there SHOULD be... Otherwise that was a waste of chain link fencing...

The 'chasing wraith' and other things may just be enthusiast hopes...

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I'm pretty sure that thing in the queue will be one of those electro ball things.

I'm also sure that that is the only effect that isn't working that should be. I highly doubt there's any more in the crypt, but on Wednesday the drop section was a lot better than it was on opening weekend. But my brother didn't notice anything, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Rita's still awesome though.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I just came back from Alton, and gave Thirteen two shots.

The first time i thought it was pretty dull, and the drop was very slow, i got off feeling pretty dissapointed. When i rode it later, for some reason i was put into the very front seat (queued in the standard queue and there was a fairly long front row queue (or is that just single rider?)). Much more fun at the front and that time the drop was far more intense leaving my tummy at the top that time around.

I was also really impressed with the theming, it clearly had a lot of time put into it, and the inside drop area looked absolutely fantastic, i was under the impression it was in the dark.

I thought it was better than the Corkscrew but it's my least favrourite coaster in the park.

A

Anonymous

TH13TEEN

Personally i believe that this rollercoaster was very good and impressive. Incredible themeing, great ride section with lots of airtime at the back. Indoor section is also great, I loved the crypt part, and the backwards section is very cool with the steep drop, the helix is good as it is not normal, it is wonkey and a wierd shape. I got on 3 times via the single riders que.

The only negative points are that,there are trims, the outdoor section isnt that long, the trees arn't that close to the ride, and the ride area is not very green. However come summer the forest area will be much more green and impressive.

When i visited they were running three trains.Overall I would rate this ride better than Air and Rita, and maybe Oblivion on a good day but definatly not better than NEMESIS, but thats my opinion.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Just rode 13 today, I have to say it was good, but not brilliant. If you saw my tweet earlier, you know what I hated a lot. That was TRIM BRAKES!!! Damn them things, could of been more of a solid ride without them bloody things on the outdoor section. If the trims were not there, it would of got at least an 8/10. But due to them trims it gets 6.5/10. I have only had 1 ride on it, and it was at the front too. Argh! TRIMS!!!!!!!