What's new

Competitions?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^No. I was considering setting up a separate comp for tool users.

The normal comps will be strictly no tools (circle templates don't count), but there could well be a place for you guys to try compete with each other.

Xpress

Strata Poster
^Why? There could only be a couple rating categories, and overall smoothness shouldn't be one of them. Stuff like:

-Creativity
-Overall flow of things
-Theming
-Overall thrill factor

And you could do that in a set boundary, or utilize a set max height, speed, force, and come close to say, 4000ft of track?

A

Anonymous

^ One category that really have to be included is a "construction quality", that take care of the supporting, smoothness, element shaping, forces, etc. or else people can just throw some rubbish together and may get a better score that a coaster that is super smooth but lacks in other areas, which is not what I (and several of you) want for this, the quality of the ride is something I think that everyone should be working towards to achieve (which is why some of you want to use tools...).
Themeing shouldn't be a category since I don't want people to spend hours to create some 3ds for this, the competitions should be pretty straightforward.

I agree with Hixee on the "no tool" policy on the normal competitions, since that isn't as unfair as if we were to allow them. Meaning that people that uses tools are (usually) pretty good building coasters freehand, but people that don't know how to use tools would be lacking if we were to allow them. Not allowing tools is just a way to make the competition as even as possible...
By no tools I mean that you are only allowed to use everything that comes with the NoLimits package (Editor, Terraformer and Simulator) and whatever 3ds object you like.
And of course these will be "NoLimits Coaster competitions" not "NoLimits tools competition"...

Xpress said:
but more like the CoasterSims wooden windowsill comp?
Explain...

Hixee I would love to have a co-judge, since then it would be fairer and 4 eyes is better than 2. :)

About a "Tournament" style competition, then I will push that into the future for a while depending on the turnout we get from the "normal" style competitions. But if there is big turnout (I reckon we would probably need 8 or so people) then it could be a reality.

But I guess that there is an interest of having a competition, so you can hopefully expect one by this weekend...

herbinator

Mega Poster
an Idea for a normal comp: Give us a topic eg.bird
and a type of coaster eg. floorless
and we inturperet that how you want but it does not have to be obvious eg. if you swoop in turns it links to bird (sorry bout the bird thing, was looking out of the window! :lol: )

A

Anonymous

^ That would be a great idea for a comp in the Tournament :)

If anyone want to know how the tournament is going to work, then think of it as "Project Runway" but with coasters :)

A

Anonymous

The contestants are given a challenge, then when the time is up the last one is voted off, pretty easy really :)
Challenges range from really strange stuff to team challenges to inspiration things...

Look it up on Wikipedia :)

herbinator

Mega Poster
sounds cool! At a quarter final level you could do a team thing were you message through cf to decide who does what and do a team thing.

I shall visit wikipeadia now!! :--D

Xpress

Strata Poster
loefet said:
^ One category that really have to be included is a "construction quality", that take care of the supporting, smoothness, element shaping, forces, etc. or else people can just throw some rubbish together and may get a better score that a coaster that is super smooth but lacks in other areas, which is not what I (and several of you) want for this, the quality of the ride is something I think that everyone should be working towards to achieve (which is why some of you want to use tools...).
Themeing shouldn't be a category since I don't want people to spend hours to create some 3ds for this, the competitions should be pretty straightforward.

I agree with Hixee on the "no tool" policy on the normal competitions, since that isn't as unfair as if we were to allow them. Meaning that people that uses tools are (usually) pretty good building coasters freehand, but people that don't know how to use tools would be lacking if we were to allow them. Not allowing tools is just a way to make the competition as even as possible...
By no tools I mean that you are only allowed to use everything that comes with the NoLimits package (Editor, Terraformer and Simulator) and whatever 3ds object you like.
And of course these will be "NoLimits Coaster competitions" not "NoLimits tools competition"...

You know, we don't use tools because it "automatically" gives us a *smooth* result. We have to build the track so that it's smooth, and it still requires work. And even then we might not be happy with the end result, so we go back in, get rid of the sections of track after the "anomoly" and reconstruct it, sometimes rebuilding track before it, then rebuilding it, then seeing what we've got.

Anyone can move the Newton2 levers about, and make a ride. But not just anyone can make that ride flowing, or make certain elements properly (I.E. loops corkscrews, ect.), or make it flow in a realistic manner. ;)

Xpress said:
but more like the CoasterSims wooden windowsill comp?
Explain...

CoasterSims did a wooden windowsill contest, where there were probably 10 wooden windowsill frames placed inside of a set boundary, each at varying heights, andles, ect. The goal was to make your coaster weave in and out of as many window sills as possible, while having a very creative layout.

But perhaps it would be best if I brush up on my handbuilding every once in a while.

I'm beginning to think we should do a Premir LIM coaster, since as of late, I really haven't seen much activity around it. Maybee give the designer the option of setting the speed, but a max of 75mph or something, and track must be a minimum of 3000ft. or something along those lines.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
If you're gonna do a knockout comp, won't that mean people who aren't so great at it (like me :p) will be left out of the action after the first round?

And since one of the reasons for a comp is to encourage people to practice coaster-making, maybe once you had a few losers, there could be a separate comp for them.

I'm not saying this specifically for me, because I know I hardly ever finish off my coasters anyway :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^This is the downside to a knock-out style comp, however I think it could provoke more interesting designs, especially in the later rounds.

It could be worth thinking of something for the 'losers' to do too...

A

Anonymous

^^ Yeah I know what you mean, but as I see it there are 2 ways to do it, either a separate competition or something else :p

I already got that covered :)

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^Haha ok thanks, because my trackwork is crappy, and I've never bothered to learn to use 3d's so I know I'll probably be out first round :p

A

Anonymous

^ That won't be certain :)
I have a very special competition for the first round (if the whole tournament is happening) and it's much more about innovation than anything else :)

I have more or less finished the first competition and will send it over to Hixee just to let him have a look at it. Must start my iBook to get the graphics sorted before posting...

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^ Oh! Alright I'll come first then XD I usually find I have great concepts and wild imagination, but get over ambitious and never finish the project I set out to do - the last 3 coasters I've put on the forum, two were completely unfinished and one was rough and I didn't bother smoothing it :p

Pretty much sums up my life really - wild imagination but no willpower to put it into action :(