What's new

Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^It was meant to be amazing. It's closed now. Shame really.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
bizarrofan10 said:
Some crap that I could barely be bothered to read, but since it was all aimed directly at me, here we go...

First of all, it's all just opinion. I just happen to base my opinions on personal experience, quite a lot of experience at that (yeah, that sounds dickish, but it's true), rather than height/speed statistics or extremely flawed polls.

bizarrofan10 said:
No way. Millennium Force is better than Goliath

I said I really liked Millenium Force. I liked it a lot, despite the vast majority of reviews I hear about it saying something along the lines of "it's a great drop, but that's it." See? There's that personal opinion thing I mentioned earlier.

I also said that I could fully understand why people would prefer MF over Goliath. It's not like I said anywhere that there's anything wrong with MF, so you really don't need to be so defensive about it.

bizarrofan10 said:
NO WAY NO WAY NOOOOOOOOOOO. no way. Completely disagree. now you're just ripping CP off. Raptor takes it.

It would serve me no purpose whatsoever to "rip CP off". You like Raptor. Great. I didn't. In fact it's my least favourite B&M invert. That's from a list of twelve by the way. Compared to the other "big" inverts, it's piss poor. I only rate the Batman clones slightly higher, if that's any comfort to you, but higher nonetheless.

bizarrofan10 said:
Wicked Twister.......you mean the tallest and fastest impulse coaster in the world.

Yes, I mean the tallest and fastest impulse coaster in the world. It's also the roughest (that I've ridden) and the most monotonous (look it up). The impulse coasters with one twisted and one straight spike, in my opinion, are better simply because they offer more variety. The few extra feet don't make a blind bit of difference. I find a straight, vertical drop a lot more exciting.

bizarrofan10 said:
Maverick...........you mean the coaster that won the coasterforce air time awards for #1 in the US

Yeah. Didn't I just say it was a very, very good coaster? I don't rate it as highly as a lot of people (there's me and one of my pesky opinions again; I should probably change that since, you know, it's won an internet forum award and everything), but it's still a very good coaster. Again, why so defensive; it's not like I said there was anything wrong with it.

bizarrofan10 said:
They're just suspended coasters, made for intermediate thrill seekers, not enthusiasts like us. they don't even count.

A few people have already pointed out some excellent suspended coasters. Since you're such a fan of using poll results and statistics to tell me why I'm wrong, you might want to look at this:

http://www.ushsho.com/steelrollercoasterpollresults2009.htm

Look at number two. That's right, according to that poll (by the way, if you're going to throw poll results around, that's by far the most accurate one), a suspended coaster was voted the number 2 steel coaster in the world last year. Not just the number 2 suspended. Not just the number 2 in Korea, or even Asia. The second best steel coaster in the world.

Oh and "not made for enthusiasts like us"? No coaster is made for enthusiasts like us. Get over yourself.

bizarrofan10 said:
Magic Mountain has better coasters, but Cedar Point is the waaaaaaaay better park.....don't disrespect

So, you've admitted that Magic Mountain has better coasters, but this is after your extremely scientific points scoring system awarded Cedar Point's coasters 5 points over Magic Mountain's 2 points. How does that work exactly?

As for the "don't disrespect" comment. Forgetting for a moment that we're not in an episode of Jersey Shore, show me where I "disrespected" Cedar Point. I said I had a great time there. I said I'd like to go back. I just said I had a better time at Magic Mountain.

It's ridiculous fanboys who can't look at any discussion in an objective way, and who look for an "attack" where there isn't one, that actually do more harm to the parks that they think they're defending.

I actually want to dislike Cedar Point now.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
There are so many fanboys out there, but why are the Cedar Point fanboys the absolute worst?
This is a call out to all you CP hard-ons, please look at the biggest CP fanboy of them all - our own Justin - and follow his example. He hasn't posted in quite a while, but if you check out any older CP topics you will find that he makes his point without being defensive, yet with humility & a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor.
Man do I miss that kid!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Ugh. Can I say neither?

There's definitely things I loathe about each park. In the end, I'd rather go to Kennywood or a dozen other smaller, better run or more interesting parks.

reddude333

Giga Poster
gavin said:
Yes, I mean the tallest and fastest impulse coaster in the world. It's also the roughest (that I've ridden) and the most monotonous (look it up). The impulse coasters with one twisted and one straight spike, in my opinion, are better simply because they offer more variety. The few extra feet don't make a blind bit of difference. I find a straight, vertical drop a lot more exciting.

I honestly did not find Twister to be any more or less rough than other impulse coasters I've been on. We even had an e-stop (due to something falling I think) and I did not experience any discomfort...just another wait-free ride :-D Also, I agree that two twisted towers isn't the most interesting and I enjoyed having one 45 degree tower at Six Flags Marine World (now Discovery Kingdom) but I always enjoy a good 0-70

bizarrofan10 said:
They're just suspended coasters, made for intermediate thrill seekers, not enthusiasts like us. they don't even count.

gavin said:
A few people have already pointed out some excellent suspended coasters. Since you're such a fan of using poll results and statistics to tell me why I'm wrong, you might want to look at this:

http://www.ushsho.com/steelrollercoasterpollresults2009.htm

Look at number two. That's right, according to that poll (by the way, if you're going to throw poll results around, that's by far the most accurate one), a suspended coaster was voted the number 2 steel coaster in the world last year. Not just the number 2 suspended. Not just the number 2 in Korea, or even Asia. The second best steel coaster in the world.

I don't necessarily think that he meant that all suspended coasters are for intermediate riders...just the two under examination...I could be wrong, I am just saying that I agree with that. It's not like Ninja or Iron Dragon were meant to be very intense considering the other amazing rides at both parks.

gavin said:
Oh and "not made for enthusiasts like us"? No coaster is made for enthusiasts like us. Get over yourself.

This is just a morbid comment...you are entitled to your own opinion, but really? Sure I am always looking for more thrilling rides, but I find plenty of coasters that hit the spot...

gavin said:
It's ridiculous fanboys who can't look at any discussion in an objective way, and who look for an "attack" where there isn't one, that actually do more harm to the parks that they think they're defending.

I actually want to dislike Cedar Point now.

You don't seem like the type to change convictions so readily, at least by looking at your previous responses in this thread. I hope you are being sarcastic with this comment because I would hope that no one (including myself) would make you dislike a quality park.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
You have literally shouted at anyone who criticised CP. If you were arguing in favour of MM you'd get the same response. You're being rediculously over defencive.

You're more than welcome to think CP is better, but no one has to agree with you. As long as you are okay with that idea, you can continue, but don't get sappy, defencive and be rude (like you were to me) and expect people to remain patient with you.

I was really looking forward to Wicked Twister after enjoying Voodoo or whatever it's called. But they seemed slow and boring.

Another thing about CP, not that I've been to MM, is that it seems perpetually busy. I went on a Monday before schools broke up, and it was the only park out of the 9 we visited in a row that was busy.

EDIT: I said Magic Mountain and meant Cedar Point.

Tim

Roller Poster
The Cedar Point fanboyism in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

Appalling, pathetic, cringeworthy... but hilarious

My vote goes to Magic Mountain also. Amazing park. And when they go crazy and buy something ridiculous and daft, at least they do something entertaining or unique. Cedar Points daft rides are just ridiculous and boring

jokerman

Giga Poster
reddude333 said:
gavin said:

This is just a morbid comment...you are entitled to your own opinion, but really? Sure I am always looking for more thrilling rides, but I find plenty of coasters that hit the spot...

You've misunderstood his point. It's not that he was saying that nothing satisfies his "coaster needs". Gavin was trying to point out that no coasters are built with enthusiasts in mind.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I personally would like to think that there are many coasters built with enthusiasts in mind, but I wouldn't know because I'm not in the industry. At the very least some coasters are built with thrillseekers in mind.

@Joey: I don't think I was yelling at Gavin by any means, just doing the same thing he did with quoting people...if there is something wrong with responding to his comments please tell me...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^Exactly the point I was making. It's incredibly naive and arrogant to assume that coasters are designed and built in order to please the self-proclaimed "expert" enthusiasts.

^Take a look at why I was quoting someone. I didn't start that bull ****, it's not my style at all.

Someone had taken my original post about my opinions of Cedar Point and Magic Mountain (which, by the way, were fair and in no way "attacked" CP), and picked it apart, telling me I was wrong. He could have easily contributed to the topic by saying what he thought of both parks, you know, just like I had, but instead chose to air his views by trying to pull mine apart.

Yeah, I'm going to respond to that.

CMonster

Giga Poster
reddude333 said:
I personally would like to think that there are many coasters built with enthusiasts in mind, but I wouldn't know because I'm not in the industry. At the very least some coasters are built with thrillseekers in mind.

There's a difference between thrillseekers and enthusiasts... I liked thrilling coasters before I became an enthusiast. And anyways, enthusiasts are such a small majority that it wouldn't be worth it to build a ride just for us.

Plus, as coaster enthusiasts, we should still enjoy the tamer rides for what they are. Just because some rides aren't the massive B&M's or Intamin's doesn't mean we should immediately go "TERRIBLE!!!111!!!!1".

reddude333

Giga Poster
CMonster said:
reddude333 said:

There's a difference between thrillseekers and enthusiasts... I liked thrilling coasters before I became an enthusiast. And anyways, enthusiasts are such a small majority that it wouldn't be worth it to build a ride just for us.

Plus, as coaster enthusiasts, we should still enjoy the tamer rides for what they are. Just because some rides aren't the massive B&M's or Intamin's doesn't mean we should immediately go "TERRIBLE!!!111!!!!1".

Which is why I think both parks are amazing...I obviously wouldn't have put them head-to-head with the idea that one is bad...and the same for their coasters...both have amazing (even if not the most intense) coasters that always break my personal top 10 list

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
mistake

Gavin:

I'm sorry for "disresepcting" your opinions, but I was rather trying to state my opinions.

As for the suspended coasters go, I had only heard of one good suspended, Big Bad Wolf, and that was taken down.

For me, counting kiddie coasters is just like counting wild mouse coasters, and those other intermediates, but that's just my opinion.

Lastly, I am not a CP-fanboy and I do not watch the Jersey Shore, but I am going to CP this summer and will see how I like it.

So, Gavin, you like MM and I like CP, two separate opinions, nothing wrong with either of them.

vividtrauma

Roller Poster
CP vs. MM

Honestly, having never been to six flags MM I can't say much, (I have always wanted to go) But growing up in Ohio there was something about going to Cedar Point as a child and still going every year that felt, and still feel so right, I have been to many, many other amusement parks and it is still my favorite, the atmosphere, the roller coasters, everything. Right when you see it on the horizon across the bay you feel this optimism and nostalgia coursing through your bloodstream. I don't think I would get that same feeling going to Six Flags MM, ever. Although like I said I have never been there and I can't dis it, I just believe I would not have as much fun at that park. Millennium Force and TTD are great pioneering roller coasters, and Maverick is a great, creative Intamin, Magnum is still one of my favorite coasters of all time and always will be, Raptor and Mantis are also fantastic and I still can't wait to ride Gemini everytime I go as well. All the coasters are fun. Just thought I'd give my two cents.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Re: CP vs. MM

vividtrauma said:
Honestly, having never been to six flags MM I can't say much, (I have always wanted to go) But growing up in Ohio there was something about going to Cedar Point as a child and still going every year that felt, and still feel so right, I have been to many, many other amusement parks and it is still my favorite, the atmosphere, the roller coasters, everything. Right when you see it on the horizon across the bay you feel this optimism and nostalgia coursing through your bloodstream. I don't think I would get that same feeling going to Six Flags MM, ever. Although like I said I have never been there and I can't dis it, I just believe I would not have as much fun at that park. Millennium Force and TTD are great pioneering roller coasters, and Maverick is a great, creative Intamin, Magnum is still one of my favorite coasters of all time and always will be, Raptor and Mantis are also fantastic and I still can't wait to ride Gemini everytime I go as well. All the coasters are fun. Just thought I'd give my two cents.

Yeah, I feel like Gemini is often just forgotten, but I really enjoyed it...I felt nostalgic about the park and I had never been there before :p I just really was excited when I finally got to go...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
gavin said:
^ I like CP as well!
Going back to my warm and fuzzy conclusion, above all, coaster geeks win at both parks.

End of discussion!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ And as you find, comparisons vary greatly.

So the discussion rages on. :razz: