What's new

Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain

reddude333

Giga Poster
What do you guys think about Six Flags Magic Mountain "recapturing the crown" as amusement park with the most roller coasters?

Now as much as I respect Magic Mountain (and many of the changes they have made recently) I am appalled that they would even hint at that they are better than Cedar Point. In my eyes there is hardly competition between the parks. At Cedar Point every ride seems bigger and better than those at SFMM. I mean, X is unique and I haven't visited since they add the "2" and I am also looking forward to riding the Green Lantern ride (first of its kind in the country) but I still feel as if Cedar Point is just the better park...any opinions?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There are some fantastic rides at both of the parks, but Cedar Point felt a bit like they'd just tried to get as many coasters in as they possibly could. Don't get me wrong, individual rides like Maverick, TTD, Millennium Force (and many more) are fantastic rides, they are kinda just plonked there.

From what I've heard about SFMM, it's not really like that.

How can you possibly be appalled that they think they're better?! What's wrong with that?!

Snoo

The Legend
Overall Park: Cedar Point
Coasters: Magic Mountain

Cedar Point's spending money on 'making their park better' and all that makes them lag behind when it comes to coasters.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
reddude333 said:
In my eyes there is hardly competition between the parks

Agreed, but on Magic Mountain's side.

Ok, so Cedar Point has Dragster and Maverick (which, to be honest I didn't think was as great as a lot of people seem to think it is), but that's it.

Yeah, go on I'll throw in a couple of decent flat rides (the only area where Magic Mountain is lacking) with Maxair and Skyhawk, though, let's face it, those kinds of rides are everywhere and hardly unique to the park.

Other than that, Magic Mountain is superior to Cedar Point in every way.

Snoo

The Legend
Dunno about all that.. CP's operations is better in every single way.. times about 50. Operations can turn a great park into a completely crap experience.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
SnooSnoo said:
Dunno about all that.. CP's operations is better in every single way.. times about 50. Operations can turn a great park into a completely crap experience.
When they are open, their operations are insainly quick. The problem is the park freaks out about the wind caused by a mouse fart and then shuts everything down.

Not been to Magic Mountain. So can't comment.

Maverick is amazing, little else at CP worth even talking about though.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Well, I was kind hoping I would get at least a few people on my side. In terms of theming, yes, MM has a more consistent one, but I feel as if in terms of coasters Cedar Point is superior. I will admit I love coasters at both parks but for some reason Cedar Point just seems more epic. It's just that as a kid I had always known Cedar Point to be loaded with the biggest and best. I may be somewhat nostalgic, but the moment I pulled into that parking lot I felt as if I was entering the gates of heaven...SFMM is no doubt an amazing park and I'm sorry if I made my opinion sound otherwise...but I still side with Cedar Point (if nothing else for sentimental reasons).

tomahawk

Strata Poster
SFMM needs flats, and lots of them. The amount of coasters that park has, there needs to be some check and balance. A large drop tower would do wonders for capacity in that park. Screamin Swing, Huss Giant Frisbee, virtually anything. That said, they need to get all trains running during the summer. 3 Goliath, 3 Scream (biggest people eater in the park) 3 Viper, and 3 X2 (it is possible, when it went under the knife they fixed the error it had. And fill trains. Full. Single rider lines for every ride.

Ben

CF Legend
I didn't see a thing wrong with SFMM's operations when I was there, it is without doubt the best park in the entire World. CP can go die.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Joey said:

Ummm, hello? Millennium Force...waaay better than Goliath for sure. And Superman doesn't compare to TTD in any way. Also Raptor and Mantis are quality rides and Wicked Twister is always fun.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
reddude333 said:
Joey said:

Ummm, hello? Millennium Force...waaay better than Goliath for sure. And Superman doesn't compare to TTD in any way. Also Rapter and Mantis are quality rides and Wicked Twister is always fun.
Millenium Force was a huge dissopointment. Raptor is my least favourite B&M invert. TTD IS good, but KK is better, Wicked Twister was lame and Mantis... meh.

I don't see the big deal with MF. Really, really don't. And I was expecting to love it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Joey said:
reddude333 said:
Joey said:

Ummm, hello? Millennium Force...waaay better than Goliath for sure. And Superman doesn't compare to TTD in any way. Also Rapter and Mantis are quality rides and Wicked Twister is always fun.
Millenium Force was a huge dissopointment. Raptor is my least favourite B&M invert. TTD IS good, but KK is better, Wicked Twister was lame and Mantis... meh.

I don't see the big deal with MF. Really, really don't. And I was expecting to love it.
I thought the lift hill, the drop and the speed of Millennium Force was awesome, the rest of the ride... wasn't really as super as I was hoping. Raptor was good, but nothing extraordinary. I was also surprised by Mantis, I thought it was much better than everyone always says about it.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I haven't seen the Mountain in person, but I've seen thousands of videos around the park and in queues to get the whole feel.

Well from videos of queue lines to gather the jist of MM's atmosphere, it doesn't seem to even remotely compare with the epicness of atmosphere at the point.

The point is well landscaped in places. It isn't actually that concrete, but where it is; the concrete actually looks good. Everything is good and clean, no paint pealing anywhere.

Millennium Force is the best ride in the world because its really fast and really freaking high and so free with an awesome view. Its the only ride thats ever completely made me feel free of the world. When you get a good run with a mega loose lap-bar (**** the bed scary where you rise from the seat though) its even better. It is very inconsistant though. The weather really did effect it. Wet track and Hot, it flew. Anything else or sitting in a back-of-car wheel seat it felt like it lagged.

Then theres the mind-blowing Maverick, which takes that quite litrally and beats every last brain cell from you, unprepared. TTD, Twister, Magnum. Everything else ****ing hurts in some fashion though.

The music is epic all over, Dance of the Milf, 80's on Maggy, Country and Western on Mavs, Rock on Raptor, Republica/Rock/50's on the penis, 50's near the front games, then theres the park wide loop. Although MM seems to have lots of 80's tunes and riddlers awesome station track which is good. It helps that the queues are well presented for a mostly non-themed enviroment at the point though. Terminator seems to be the only clean queue at MM.

The only complaint CP can really have is the stupid rain thing. I did get to ride Mav in the rain, but FFS many of there rides have non-contact magnetic brakes... they can't fail in rain... why shut them?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ok, if we're going to get into the coasters...

Let's start by comparing the, for want of a better word, "similar" coasters:

I didn't get to ride Superman, but I've no doubt that Dragster is better, so that's a plus for CP.

Personally, I preferred Goliath to Millenium Force (or Magnum XL200), though I could easily understand why people would disagree with that one. I enjoyed MF a lot more than I thought I would; I just enjoyed Goliath even more.

Riddler's Revenge and Mantis? Again, I (sort of) enjoyed Mantis. Even though I'd heard nothing but bad things about it, I thought it was decent enough and doesn't quite deserve the slating it gets. Riddlers, however, I thought was excellent.

I'll take a Batman clone over Raptor every time, thanks very much.

Even though Ninja is crap, Iron Dragon takes crap to a whole new level.

Woodies? Is there really any need to comment here? Ok, so both parks are lacking in this department, but I'll take Terminator over Mean Streak (Worst. Woodie. Ever) any day of the week.

I'm not going to get into comparing the family/kiddy coasters because they're all much the same really.

Ok, so what else have we got at CP?

Wicked Twister - Crap. Sorry, but it is.

Maverick - A very, very good coaster no question.

I think that's about it?

The rest at MM:

Viper and Scream - Two very different coasters I know, but both are large multi-loopers: something that CP is sorely lacking.

Deja Vu, admitedly, has it's faults when it comes to reliability and capacity, but it's brilliant.

Tatsu is the best flyer I've ever ridden. It's so far above the other flyers it's ridiculous; it's such a fantastic coaster.

X2, again, is amazing. For me it's way up there with the best steel coasters and is better than anything at Cedar Point.

I can't really comment on operations at all, since they seemed good to me at Cedar Point and I had absolutely no issues at Magic Mountain personally, though it was a very quiet day.

What I will say though, is that MM is a much more attractive park. CP, for the most part, is a giant slab of concrete with rides on it. Don't get me wrong, there are areas of MM like that, too, but on the whole it's not as prevalent.

I know that it sounds like I'm slating Cedar Point, which isn't fair really. I had a great time there, and would happily go again. If this was a CP VS. Thorpe or a whole load of other parks, I'd be backing CP.

However, the topic is to compare it to Magic Mountain, and, frankly, there is no comparison.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Okay, well I find Millennium Force to be better, but I loved Goliath too for sure, but still won't falter on that point.

In terms of stand-ups I actually prefer Riddler's Revenge by far although Mantis is a great ride. I give the point to MM there.

As for inverted coasters. I really like all of the inversions in Raptor. I do like Batman's compact design and close-call layout but its kinda a toss-up on those ones.

Yes, X is unique, but so is Maverick. And between the two I like Maverick more...then again I haven't been on X2 yet but once again, a tough call and I can understand those who don't agree with me on those.

TTD is waaay better than Superman, no question, but I would hardly call them similar.

As for woodies, haven't been back since Terminator was added although I have heard mixed reviews. I will admit Mean Streak is a terrible woodie (although I think it's hilarious that it is so high on the list of tallest, longest, highest drop and top speed for woodies...not saying that makes it better). Honestly, a bad way to judge either park.

Wicked Twister is not crap. It's fun and a nice one to go on if you want a short line and a fast ride. Sure it's probably the least unique coaster at CP (yes, even over Corkscrew) but hardly a crappy ride.

True CP doesn't have many multi-inversion coasters, but I like Magnum and its WAAAY better than Viper. Plus I'm tall so the Viper restraints were extremely painful. And Deja Vu is not that great. I actually didn't get to go on it because I am too tall, but I went on the same thing at Silverwood (it was called Aftershock there) and it's nothing special.

I think I like Iron Dragon over Ninja. Neither are great, but I like free-swinging inverted coasters. I prefer Top Gun (oh, I mean Flight Deck) at Kings Island.

And a point I will give to MM is that I loved Tatsu...truly a great coaster. Awesome G-forces in the the last row.

Scream! is underrated but nothing that special really. Not like it helps that MM just shoved it in the back of the park with no theming.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FFS, if you're so pro-Cedar Point, at least spell Raptor correctly. :p

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
SnooSnoo said:
When did I say this?
You didn't. Joey quoted you in his reply & reddude333 forgot to take your name out when quoting Joey. I cleaned that up. :wink:

As far as this topic, I'm with Gavin & Ben. I enjoy SFMM much more than CP. Magic Mountain has a much better variety of coasters, whereas the Point has so many lame ones. Hell, we only ride Mavy, TTD, MF & Twister whenever we go to CP, but at SFMM we always ride X2, Tatsu, Deja Vu, Goliath, Riddler's Revenge, Batman, Scream, Ninja, Revolution, Colossus, Apocalypse (aka Terminator) & now there's the new Green Lantern to add to that list.
The only flat we ride at CP is maXair (& sometimes Skyhawk), so there's not much of an advantage there. However I do wish they had some decent flats at the Mountain, but I'm not sure we would ride them much with all the great coasters available.

gavin said:
... Yeah, go on I'll throw in a couple of decent flat rides (the only area where Magic Mountain is lacking) with Maxair and Skyhawk, though, let's face it, those kinds of rides are everywhere and hardly unique to the park.
Skyhawk sure, but let's face it there's only a couple of monster frisbees like maXair to be found.

reddude333 said:
And Deja Vu is not that great.
Fail! Deja Vu is one of the most intense coasters on the planet.

reddude333 said:
I think I like Iron Dragon over Ninja. Neither are great, but I like free-swinging inverted coasters. I prefer Top Gun (oh, I mean Flight Deck) at Kings Island.
The topic you created is CP vs SFMM, so let's leave KI out of it ok? As Gavin said Ninja isn't great, but Iron Dragon sucks bigtime.

You can't compare unlike coasters, but put the like ones against each other & Magic Mountain wins. Compare the woodies & Magic Mountain wins. Compare the classic coasters & Magic Mountain wins. And don't even talk about lack of themeing at Magic Mountain, because CP has absolutely none whatsoever.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
ECG said:
Skyhawk sure, but let's face it there's only a couple of monster frisbees like maXair to be found

In the States, yeah, so I suppose if we're comparing CP and MM that's fair enough.

However I've ridden Huss Giant Frisbees (the same model as Maxair) at Nagashima Spaland, Fuji-Q, Chimelong Paradise and Happy Valley Beijing. Then there's the "original" Intamin Gyro Swing at Lotte World which is basically the same thing.

So, yeah, I've personally ridden them to death and don't get overly excited to see them anymore. Like I said though, that's a personal thing, so for most people going to CP, Maxair is a really great ride.