What's new

Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain

reddude333

Giga Poster
First off, East Coaster, you have misrepresented me on a couple occasions. Initially the topic was more focused on the fact that MM is now back on top in terms of the coaster race (# of coasters) so flat rides weren't intended to be discussed, although I have no problem with it. Second, I don't see why I can't reference KI just once. All I was saying was that I liked Flight Deck, no need to hate. Also, I didn't mean Deja Vu is bad, I just don't think it is very unique. There are plenty of inverted boomerangs (even with vertical towers) in the world so I don't find it anything special is all...still a great ride no doubt. I was at no point intentionally comparing unlike coasters. At least I admit that MM has good coasters. I feel like too many of these people are saying that CP sucks and whatnot. Most parks would kill to have just one of CP's coasters in their park (and the same for MM's coasters). I personally am trying to compare two great parks but I think people are taking it as, let's try to say one sucks so that mine will look better. Honestly, I have nothing wrong with MM and I think that the theming is more consistent by a long shot. I like thrills over theme even though I appreciate a good mix. I never complained about MM's theming so don't give me that...

Please...let's just try and keep this civil. I don't think we can necessarily find a clear "winner", I just wanted some opinions.

RCF

Strata Poster
reddude333 said:
Second, I don't see why I can't reference KI just once. All I was saying was that I liked Flight Deck, no need to hate.

But if it's a piece of unnecessary information. Yes you were discussing suspended coasters, but as you said, the topic at hand is Magic Mountain versus Cedar Point. So why mention anything other than something from MM or CP?

eddude333 said:
There are plenty of inverted boomerangs (even with vertical towers) in the world so I don't find it anything special is all...still a great ride no doubt.

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8207
http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8196

I know that doesn't cover all of them, but that's not exactly a lot of inverted boomerangs to be quite honest.

And while I'm here you state at the end of your previous post:
reddude33 said:
I just wanted some opinions.

ECG said:
Fail! Deja Vu is one of the most intense coasters on the planet.

Isn't that an opinion?

ECG said:
Ninja isn't great, but Iron Dragon sucks bigtime.

Isn't this as well?

ECG said:
You can't compare unlike coasters, but put the like ones against each other & Magic Mountain wins. Compare the woodies & Magic Mountain wins. Compare the classic coasters & Magic Mountain wins. And don't even talk about lack of themeing at Magic Mountain, because CP has absolutely none whatsoever.

Opinions opinions.

You said:
but I still feel as if Cedar Point is just the better park...any opinions?

Doesn't that necessarily pertain to all of the park? Not just the coasters? And also, ECG did in fact stay true to the topic (sorry for reposting this):

ECG said:
You can't compare unlike coasters, but put the like ones against each other & Magic Mountain wins. Compare the woodies & Magic Mountain wins. Compare the classic coasters & Magic Mountain wins. And don't even talk about lack of themeing at Magic Mountain, because CP has absolutely none whatsoever.

Isn't that comparing coasters?

And you should know, even if you just ask for the opinion on coasters, the discussion will always turn to the other types of rides, the themeing, and the park as a whole. Live with it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
OK, now you're starting to push me into UC territory.
reddude333 said:
First off, East Coaster, you have misrepresented me on a couple occasions. Initially the topic was more focused on the fact that MM is now back on top in terms of the coaster race (# of coasters) so flat rides weren't intended to be discussed, although I have no problem with it.
reddude333 in 1st topic post said:
I am appalled that they would even hint at that they are better than Cedar Point. In my eyes there is hardly competition between the parks. At Cedar Point every ride seems bigger and better than those at SFMM.
So every ride doesn't include flats?

reddude333 said:
Second, I don't see why I can't reference KI just once. All I was saying was that I liked Flight Deck, no need to hate.
No hating, just staying on topic. There were plenty of suspended coasters better than the two, but there are lots of coasters better the other coasters at these parks so why bother?

reddude333 said:
I was at no point intentionally comparing unlike coasters.
Might not have been intentional, but...
reddude333 said:
X is unique, but so is Maverick. And between the two I like Maverick more...
reddude333 said:
I like Magnum and its WAAAY better than Viper.
Nuff said.

reddude333 said:
I feel like too many of these people are saying that CP sucks and whatnot.
Other than Ben being Ben, no one said CP sucks and whatnot.

reddude333 said:
I personally am trying to compare two great parks but I think people are taking it as, let's try to say one sucks so that mine will look better.
reddude333 in 1st topic post said:
I still feel as if Cedar Point is just the better park...any opinions?
What do you expect when you open the topic with a statement like that? SFMM isn't "mine" & I'm not trying to make it look better, just stating why I think it is better. Which is what you asked for.

reddude333 said:
I never complained about MM's theming so don't give me that...
reddude333 said:
Scream! is underrated but nothing that special really. Not like it helps that MM just shoved it in the back of the park with no theming.
And I was wrong in my reply as Maverick, Disaster Transport, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Shoot the Rapids & the train all have a theme.

reddude333 said:
Please...let's just try and keep this civil. I don't think we can necessarily find a clear "winner", I just wanted some opinions.
Seems like you only want opinions that agree with yours tbh.

Edit: I wouldn't have gone over all this if I had seen that RCF had posted the above while I was writing this reply.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
cp

I completely agree with Snoo

Overall Park: Cedar Point
Coasters: Magic Mountain

Head-to-Head Coasters: Magic Mountain

BUT FACTOR EVERYTHING ELSE CEDAR POINT HAS TO OFFER:

Thrill Rides: Cedar Point
Family Rides: Cedar Point
Water Rides: Cedar Point
Food/Shows: Cedar Point
Fun on the Water/Castaway Bay/Marinas/Parasail/Jet Ski............come on

For one who only cares about coasters go Magic Mountain

But if you want the overall amusement park experience go with Cedar Point in a blowout

reddude333

Giga Poster
I guess I won't comment on this anymore. I feel like I can't post a single message without it literally being completely picked apart. I love both parks...nothing against either...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
No one was 'literally completely picking you apart' until you stated that I misrepresented a couple of things that you said, implied that you didn't say things that you did & (IMO) didn't like people disagreeing with your opinion. Until that post everyone was simply replying to your request for their opinions, which I'm sure we will continue to do.

RCF

Strata Poster
ECG said:
I wouldn't have gone over all this if I had seen that RCF had posted the above while I was writing this reply.

Sorry Jerry :lol:

And yeah dude, calm down. No need to get all huffy and puffy. People are giving their opinions and you happen to have given a reply to which someone (myself and ECG) happened to see flaws in. It's alright. Man you're starting to remind me of someone but I'm not sure who.....

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Does it all really matter?

Both parks are very large and offer very good attractions.

Regardless of which park you're at, I think everyone who visits is in for a good time. Isn't that the real underlying factor?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I was trying to do the nice open-ended happy-feely conclusion, but no. Marcus had to go and ruin it! :razz:

Anyways, reddude and I need to chat on embracing fanboyism. Let the Cedar Point fandom flow through you!

emperor-reggie-miller.jpg

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Well you're certainly not dragging me to the dark side. :p

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
I didn't get to ride Superman, but I've no doubt that Dragster is better, so that's a plus for CP.
Correct. CP 1, MM 0

gavin said:
Personally, I preferred Goliath to Millenium Force (or Magnum XL200), though I could easily understand why people would disagree with that one. I enjoyed MF a lot more than I thought I would; I just enjoyed Goliath even more.
No way. Millennium Force is better than Goliath. Golaith and Magnum are neck and neck, although Magnum goes out and back and has more air time as oppose to Goliath's twister layout. CP 2, MM 0

gavin said:
Riddler's Revenge and Mantis? Again, I (sort of) enjoyed Mantis. Even though I'd heard nothing but bad things about it, I thought it was decent enough and doesn't quite deserve the slating it gets. Riddlers, however, I thought was excellent.
They are both quality B&M stand-ups, I agree that Riddler is better. CP 2, MM 1

gavin said:
I'll take a Batman clone over Raptor every time, thanks very much.
NO WAY NO WAY NOOOOOOOOOOO. no way. Completely disagree. now you're just ripping CP off. Raptor takes it. CP 3, M 1

gavin said:
Even though Ninja is crap, Iron Dragon takes crap to a whole new level.
They're just suspended coasters, made for intermediate thrill seekers, not enthusiasts like us. they don't even count.

gavin said:
Woodies? Is there really any need to comment here? Ok, so both parks are lacking in this department, but I'll take Terminator over Mean Streak (Worst. Woodie. Ever) any day of the week.
Agreed. CP 3, MM 2

gavin said:
I'm not going to get into comparing the family/kiddy coasters because they're all much the same really.
good

gavin said:
Ok, so what else have we got at CP?

Wicked Twister - Crap. Sorry, but it is.

Maverick - A very, very good coaster no question.
Wicked Twister.......you mean the tallest and fastest impulse coaster in the world. Maverick...........you mean the coaster that won the coasterforce air time awards for #1 in the US
Points CP CP 5, MM2

gavin said:
I think that's about it?

The rest at MM:

Viper and Scream - Two very different coasters I know, but both are large multi-loopers: something that CP is sorely lacking.

Deja Vu, admitedly, has it's faults when it comes to reliability and capacity, but it's brilliant.

Tatsu is the best flyer I've ever ridden. It's so far above the other flyers it's ridiculous; it's such a fantastic coaster.

X2, again, is amazing. For me it's way up there with the best steel coasters and is better than anything at Cedar Point.

I can't really comment on operations at all, since they seemed good to me at Cedar Point and I had absolutely no issues at Magic Mountain personally, though it was a very quiet day.

What I will say though, is that MM is a much more attractive park. CP, for the most part, is a giant slab of concrete with rides on it. Don't get me wrong, there are areas of MM like that, too, but on the whole it's not as prevalent.

I know that it sounds like I'm slating Cedar Point, which isn't fair really. I had a great time there, and would happily go again. If this was a CP VS. Thorpe or a whole load of other parks, I'd be backing CP.

However, the topic is to compare it to Magic Mountain, and, frankly, there is no comparison.

Magic Mountain has better coasters, but Cedar Point is the waaaaaaaay better park.....don't disrespect

RCF

Strata Poster
^It's his opinion. Live with it. And you said,

bizarrofan10 said:
They're just suspended coasters, made for intermediate thrill seekers, not enthusiasts like us. they don't even count.

Sorry, but this is just ignorant.Aren't we talking about coasters? Isn't that what this topic was made for? Discussing coasters? Yes they're not as thrilling as the others but they're coasters nonetheless. I agree with not counting kiddie rides though, but Ninja and Iron Dragon should be up for discussion (for the record, I haven't ridden Ninja, but Iron Dragon sucks balls).

And just because something is the tallest and fastest "blah blah blah" in the world doesn't mean its automatically amazing. Wicked Twister is decent, but it is by no means great. And yes, Maverick is beast mode awesome, just because it won an award on an enthusiast forum does NOT mean it has a special status (even though in this case, we would be correct).

And I do have to agree with Gavin, even though I have not been to MM (even though I will probably be there this summer) in that CP is just a slab in the middle of Lake Erie (I think) with rides thrown on it.

And finally,
bizarrofan10 said:
Cedar Point is the waaaaaaaay better park.....don't disrespect

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a fanboy on our hands. Be very afraid.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
"Don't disrespect"?

Sigh... If you're gonna start a topic like this, please actually expect and allow other opinions to be passed around...

For the record, I'm not a fan of either of them on an overall basic... But this is based of my 2006 trip to MM, so I haven't experienced X2... But each park has it's flaws and positives...

I love MM's location more than CP's though the lake location is great... Just the mountain and the surrounding area seems to do more... Bit more woodland as well in the park... As said, CP is a concrete island... It kept reminding me of Thorpe actually, not a good thing...

Overall, MM has better B&Ms, but since that's not saying much in comparison, I'm not sure where the award for coasters goes to... I don't like Tatsu or Riddlers for pain reasons, but then MF was meh, and Maverick's restraints hurt me a lot...
Goliath and Superman on the other hand are under-rated, same (imo) for Wicked Twister and... Yeah... That's it...

Plus, CP has Mean Streak... Least MM had the decency to remove Psyclone...

I'm leaning towards MM strangely here... Considering the day I had there, I find it random... But oh wells...

reddude333

Giga Poster
I agree...all of the other suspended coasters seem better...though I had never heard of Eagle Fortress and it looks like it's worth checking out...too bad it's far away...

And I wouldn't really say Superman is underrated...it's fun but (before renovations) nothing more interesting than some flat rides (no offense to flat rides)...