What's new

Cedar Fair 2016

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Exactly. "Dropped the ball" means failing or screwing up. Again, YOU not liking something doesn't equate to a failure on their part. Not in the slightest.

If they had a huge marketing campaign and produced an overblown kiddy coaster (Alton Towers with Thirteen) - dropped the ball.

If they went for a totally untried and untested ride type with ridiculous downtime, coming in way over budget and ultimately losing them money - dropped the ball.

The biggest installation of a massively popular ride type with zero reliability issues - not dropping the ball.

See, you've correctly explained the definition of "dropped the ball", but you've completely dropped the ball on using it in any kind of correct context.

bentcookie

Mega Poster
^^Ugh, I give up lol. Lots of harsh people on here. It'd be nice to be able to say something on here without having someone else make you feel like a complete a**. Hope your comment made you feel a little better about yourself.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh get off your cross!

Have an opinion. That's fine. Don't make out that not having your expectations met is somehow a failure on the part of the park.

If you say something, frankly, stupid, expect to be asked to defend it instead of getting all butt-hurt and playing the victim when you get called on it.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Do I think they dropped the ball? No. Like I said, Ohio's never seen anything like this centered around a massive steep drop aside from maybe Maverick (which is more about a smaller steep drop combined with other things), this should be really unique to the whole region and I can tell you right now the GP will eat it up. I can see renderings being passed around my Facebook page by GP writing "Nope" and crap on it in the coming months, much in the way Batman at SFFT was passed around social media. People will be all over this all over the region.

Will I enjoy it? Probably not as much as some of their other rides.The way I see it ranking with their other coasters is as such:

1. Millennium Force
2. Maverick
3. Top Thrill Dragster
4. GateKeeper
5. Magnum XL-200
6. Rougarou
7. Gemini
8. Valravn
9. Blue Streak
10. Raptor

This played out on Facebook but personally, I just don't think I like the concept. I don't like the idea of a coaster gaining all that kinetic energy from a big, epic drop and then slamming into an MCBR and losing it two seconds later. I get that it has to do that, I just don't think it makes for a very awesome ride, it takes more than just a massive vertical drop to please me.

This'll rake in huge bucks. It's happening. As Ben said on the previous page, there's track and everything. From the colors I've seen, it'll look really unique visually and I do still look forward to riding it, I just don't expect to be that impressed by it personally.

And as for my VR theory, I said I expected it to be called stupid for a reason. I doubt it, and I doubted it initially because dive machines are extremely visual in their gimmicks. This recent form of invitation and Ouimett's quote about wanting a VR coaster restored a bit of faith in the crazy idea, but it's still a crazy one.

One week after tomorrow...

CoasterConnor

Roller Poster
Does anyone have any idea what the maximum height will be? Considering it'll most likely be a record-breaker I would imagine it would have to be somewhere around the 225-250 ft. mark to not only break the height record, but also the speed record. Tallest DM right now is what, 215 ft...somewhere around that number?

Darren B

Giga Poster
bentcookie said:
^^Ugh, I give up lol. Lots of harsh people on here. It'd be nice to be able to say something on here without having someone else make you feel like a complete a**. Hope your comment made you feel a little better about yourself.

Look, Gay Biscuit, or whatever you call yourself, chill out. Nobody is trying to make you look like an arse, we're just trying to point out that what you were saying is implying a bad business decision rather than stating a personal opinion on a ride.

It's fine that you don't want a DM at CP, I've been against all of Merlins coasters since 2006. I of course rant about how I dislike their choices, I just don't accuse them of making a bad business decision because ultimately all of them have, and always will be good ones (Yes, even thirteen much to our dismay).

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^ Well calling him a Gay Biscuit won't really help.

Also, from the leaked e-mail for the dive coaster in January, it says it'll be 223 feet, breaking the record by about 10 feet, and it'll go 80 mph.

It'll most definitely be a ride the GP will loathe over. It's taller than Wicked Twister for crying out loud! I personally don't really agree with a dive coaster, but it's a great business choice.

CoasterConnor

Roller Poster
^ Hmm..if that leaked email is in fact true, I find it kind of strange that CP would only try to break the record by some 10 ft. You'd think CP (knowing how they usually go big with breaking records) would have tried to break the record by a larger margin.. say like making it 250 ft. for example.

Hutch

Strata Poster
One thing I don't really understand is some people saying that this isn't a "good fit for CP." I think someone already said that with Cedar Point having, what, 16 coasters that there aren't a lot of other models they're missing. Sure, your RMC isn't there, but there haven't been any hints of Cedar Fair picking up RMC soon. And why try switching to a different manufacture when B&M has been dominating for them?

Also, another thing I just realized is that this will be their 5th coaster over 200ft!

Ben

CF Legend
Did everyone expecting an RMC just black out for the last few months?

Or hope that the whole industry was just trolling us?

Come on people, engage brain.

peep

CF Legend
This topic is hilarious. How anyone would be disappointed by a new B&M is just being silly.

Just be happy that the park is adding it's millionth cred.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster
I personally just dont really like the layout.

Now then, something else I may have just realized - Wouldnt this also nab the Tallest/Highest Inversion?

CoasterConnor

Roller Poster
Intricks said:
I personally just dont really like the layout.

Now then, something else I may have just realized - Wouldnt this also nab the Tallest/Highest Inversion?

I think it possibly could. Gatekeeper holds tallest inversion right now, correct? At 170 feet I believe. If this thing ends up being 223 feet tall, that immelmann could be somewhere in the ballpark of 175-190 feet.

Snoo

The Legend
Jarrett said:
Do I think they dropped the ball? No. Like I said, Ohio's never seen anything like this centered around a massive steep drop aside from maybe Maverick (which is more about a smaller steep drop combined with other things), this should be really unique to the whole region and I can tell you right now the GP will eat it up. I can see renderings being passed around my Facebook page by GP writing "Nope" and crap on it in the coming months, much in the way Batman at SFFT was passed around social media. People will be all over this all over the region.

Will I enjoy it? Probably not as much as some of their other rides.The way I see it ranking with their other coasters is as such:

1. Millennium Force
2. Maverick
3. Top Thrill Dragster
4. GateKeeper
5. Magnum XL-200
6. Rougarou
7. Gemini
8. Valravn
9. Blue Streak
10. Raptor

Just no.

Dive Machines are better then everything but those Top 3.. and saying that is my opinion would be a lie as NO ONE likes Gemini. :p

steel

Mega Poster
Honestly, like someone else said, Oblivion is barely 10 seconds long, does literally one thing, wastes nearly all of its kinetic energy, and nonetheless is tremendously popular, super fun, super exciting, super rerideable, and is widely considered one of the best rides in the UK. It's fine if dive machines don't do it for you, we all have preferences and we all like coasters for different reasons, but like... most people (enthusiasts included) are gonna be head over heels for this if these renderings are accurate.

I'd say it's a testament to the strength of CP's collection that this discussion is even happening.

*build one at Canada's Wonderland next please*

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I wonder if the disappointment for some is in the lack of novelty in the layout? Indeed, it is essentially Griffon with an extra inversion (and removed splashdown). Griffon and Sheikra are both well received coasters - but it would appear folks built up a more intricate layout (no thanks to the mock up that appeared on TPR), which ultimately put the cart ahead of the horse.

At the end of the day, no this won't be a top 10 roller coaster. It doesn't have to be - Gatekeeper debuted at 108 in the Mitch Hawker Poll it's opening year, but is still well received by the coaster community, and is even more popular for the GP. Honestly, will you decide not to ride a 200+ ft. dive machine? Of course not.

And yes, CF is a forum that embraces opinion and free speech - in turn, what you post will be read in the context of the discussion, and will be responded to by other members. Disagreement is inherent with this, and is a welcomed part of the process - that's the point of a discussion after all!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Coasterzone user CP2013 has just found this possible layout of Valravn which is completely different to what we've seen so far.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awt2GFIF_tA[/youtube]

Not sure what this guy based this on though so it could be him purely speculating about the layout and be wrong.