What's new

Cedar Fair 2016

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Like the recent Six Flags 2016 topic, Cedar Fair is(though less connected announcements) still announcing their 2016 attractions in the coming months.

My predictions:

Cedar Point- Valravn B&M Dive Coaster in the Good Time theater location.

Valleyfair!- Probably some Flying Scooters to add in Route 76.

Kings Dominion- They haven't received a coaster since I305, which is already 5 years old. My guess is that Cedar Fair will continue with their Hyper-Giga Combo and add a B&M Hyper. Probably something smaller like Mako. My hope is that they remove Shockwave and use the land next to that to add it. If not a B&M Hyper, a GCI Woodie.

Kings Island- A Soak City expansion. Probably something similar to Kings Dominion's new Soak City expansion in 2015. Prep for a 2016 Giga.

Carrowinds- Soak City expansion as a Thunder Road replacement. See it's topic for more info.

California's Great America- Nothing Special. Probably a set of Flying Scooters.

Knott's Berry Farm- This is really hard. They just got a Triotech Dark Ride, they have Flying Scooters, and they're really land locked. My best guess is a Zamperla Disc'o like Pipe Scream. They are re-tracking Ghostrider from what I hear, so smoother ride...?

Michigan's Adventure- They should get a coaster, but 8 years since a relocation is too soon. They need another off-year to add absolutely nothing.

Canada's Wonderland- I'm making a bold prediction for Canada's Wonderland; Iron Horse for Mighty Canadian Minebuster. I mean, it's semi-big, and it can make for a good coaster.

Dorney Park- Probably a Waterpark Expansion.

World's of Fun- Flying Scooters

Remember, Cedar Fair WILL be adding TrioTech dark rides to all parks, but none fore 2016. Let the speculation commence!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
California's Great America- Nothing Special. Probably a set of Flying Scooters.
....they...already...have...them. Called Flying Eagles
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uEe1-kJNPA[/youtube]

steel

Mega Poster
It's been 9 years since Renegade next season. Valleyfair really deserves more attention.

Next year will also mark 7 years since Prowler and (shockingly) TEN years since Patriot. I think these predictions are generally good but there are several CF parks that are past due.

I would go with Wilde Beast for an iron horse over Minebuster. Actually what Wonderland should do is remove Flight Deck and build a new RMC in that lot. And a dive machine in the Skyrider lot.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Looking back at previous years, B&M seems to be there go-to manufacture with one new major B&M built every year. Their B&Ms have basically been their "big ride of the year," with a bunch of supporting/not-as-big rides in their other parks, especially in the past few years.

2012 - Leviathan
2013 - Gatekeeper
2014 - Banshee
2015 - Fury
2016 - ??

It's safe to say we can expect another huge B&M next year, but where? Cedar Point has been clearing stuff out for a potential dive machine, but I'm not 100% convinced on that, considering they've gotten some major stuff in the last few years.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
steel said:
It's been 9 years since Renegade next season. Valleyfair really deserves more attention.

Next year will also mark 7 years since Prowler and (shockingly) TEN years since Patriot. I think these predictions are generally good but there are several CF parks that are past due.

I would go with Wilde Beast for an iron horse over Minebuster. Actually what Wonderland should do is remove Flight Deck and build a new RMC in that lot. And a dive machine in the Skyrider lot.
Wow 10 years since Patriot. Still can't believe it. Still runs smooth as glass in the front rows, although it does still rattle in the back rows. That zero g roll is still perfect. That ride is my baby and is easily my most ridden coaster (rode it 25 times this past Wednesday). Anyways, Timberwolf is always down and I just think it either A. needs to be torn down so something new and big can be put in it's spot or B. Cedarfair finally gets in contact with RMC and starts Iron Horsing rough, old wooden coasters. Honestly I would rather see the latter happen.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sanchezmran said:
Looking back at previous years, B&M seems to be there go-to manufacture with one new major B&M built every year.
Read as: The technical shortfalls of Shoot the Rapids, combined with the historic design flukes of other Cedar Fair Intamins (I305, TTD, MF) became the last straw for Cedar Fair.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
Sanchezmran said:
Looking back at previous years, B&M seems to be there go-to manufacture with one new major B&M built every year.
Read as: The technical shortfalls of Shoot the Rapids, combined with the historic design flukes of other Cedar Fair Intamins (I305, TTD, MF) became the last straw for Cedar Fair.
I'm fairly familiar with the shortfalls of the Intamins for CF, specifically I305, TTD, and even Maverick, however I wasn't aware of any major ones with MF.

I know I305 had to be redesigned, and then last year the cable lift broke and it was down for half the season. I know TTD always has problems (Although it was first of it's kind and I still want to give benefit of the doubt even to this day because of that fact. I think that CP even said they have for the most part, figured out the major maintenance stuff and have much more minimal downtime than previous years.) I know Maverick had to be redesigned due to that barrel roll. What was going on with MF?

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Sanchezmran said:
Looking back at previous years, B&M seems to be there go-to manufacture with one new major B&M built every year. Their B&Ms have basically been their "big ride of the year," with a bunch of supporting/not-as-big rides in their other parks, especially in the past few years.

2012 - Leviathan
2013 - Gatekeeper
2014 - Banshee
2015 - Fury
2016 - ??

It's safe to say we can expect another huge B&M next year, but where? Cedar Point has been clearing stuff out for a potential dive machine, but I'm not 100% convinced on that, considering they've gotten some major stuff in the last few years.
My guess would be a new B&M at Kings Dominion. Look at the trend. They keep adding these big B&Ms to the bigger and more popular Cedar Fair parks. That's why I say KD is next in line for a big new coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The Hedgehog said:
I know I305 had to be redesigned, and then last year the cable lift broke and it was down for half the season. I know TTD always has problems (Although it was first of it's kind and I still want to give benefit of the doubt even to this day because of that fact. I think that CP even said they have for the most part, figured out the major maintenance stuff and have much more minimal downtime than previous years.) I know Maverick had to be redesigned due to that barrel roll. What was going on with MF?
MF's cable lift has broken multiple times as well. Wicked Twister too has some faults when it opened in 2002 with its magnetic system.

As for other Cedar Fair Intamin flukes: Xcelerator's cable has snapped, and Possessed had notorious downtime during its time at Geauga Lake.

All of this has seemingly combined together to inspire a vote of no confidence in Intamin - at least Cedar Fair has not had an active Intamin project since Shoot the Rapids in 2010.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Cedar Point: Dive Machine, NOT called Valravn
Kings Island: Monster back in commission, area facelift for either Racer section of Coney midway or Oktoberfest, groundwork starts for that giga <3
Worlds of Fun, Canada's Wonderland: Flying Scooters
Carowinds: Waterpark Expansion, potential Thunder Road demolition
Kings Dominion: Waterpark Expansion
Dorney: Waterpark Expansion
Knott's Berry Farm: Some flat in the Plantseeker plot
CGA: Vortex Floorless Conversion
Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure: Nothing Major

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
CEDAR POINT IS GETTING A GIGA THAT GOES OVER AND UNDER THE FRONT ENTRANCE TWICE BECAUSE THEY NEED TWO GIGAS AND TWO FRONT ENTRANCES

Troll-face.png

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^That's simply logical. Of course said giga will be 330 feet tall because how dare something be taller outside of CP.

Duh.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
2012Jarrett said:
CGA: Vortex Floorless Conversion

I doubt CF will bother with converting the old, small 2 inversion stand ups like this and the one at Carrowinds. Mantis' conversion made sense because it was a huge coaster with a great layout that everyone knew would benefit massively from the conversion.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
^ Actually, I predict CGA will be saying goodbye to Vortex in the next year or two in favor of a launch coaster they really need.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
steel said:
Park plans submitted to the Corps of Engineers have been leaked showing Excalibur is being removed at the end of the season and being replaced with a parking lot for the water park. So not only no new cred, but one less. :(

steel

Mega Poster
Yep I just saw that. This is not really a bad development either though. Excalibur is so far beyond its shelf life. At least this is SOME forward motion. Based on the plans it looks like they are giving themselves room for all sorts of future expansion.

We'll probably never see a giga at Valleyfair since there's an airport right across the river, but a dive machine or even just a standard high quality invert are totally in the cards IMO. Before 2020, ideally 2017-18 is my guess. If they're smart they'll also invest in some kind of transit connection with the incoming SWLRT line in Eden Prairie (if the Met Council manages to remove its head from its ass and actually build it). Access has always been a drawback for Valleyfair since it's tucked way way into the deep suburbs on the wrong side of a huge river valley.

minecraft_166

Roller Poster
From what i know, most of those predictions are wrong. Here are the predictions that i think are more reasonable, these are all from hints that i've seen from the Cedar Fair website for the 2016 attractions/expansions /upgrades to the park (keep in mind these are pure speculation predictions and are not confirmed):

Cedar Point- B&M: Dive machine.
Valley Fair- Chance Morgan: Hyper GT-X
Kings Dominion- B&M: Hyper Coaster
Kings Island- Soak City water park expansion and preparation for the 2017 B&M Giga Coaster
Carowinds- Boomerang Bay to Soak City water park expansion and removal of Thunder Road (they may not remove Thunder Road but fix it up if many people sign the petition going on)
California's Great America- Nothing Notable
Knott's Berry Farm- Re-tracking of GhostRider and maybe adding in some family attractions
Michigans Adventure- Chance Morgan: Hyper GT-X or a GCI Woodie
Canada's Wonderland- B&M: Wingrider (probably a launched like ThunderBird at Holiday World and might be the worlds longest)
Dorney Park- Nothing Notable
Worlds of Fun- B&M: Giga Coaster (as they have a hyper and there is a picture up that looks like a Hyper or Giga by B&M so it must be a Giga)