What's new

Cedar Fair 2016

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^^ Bingo.

That last picture makes it look a bit narrower than it is, and I looked at it for reference. However, counting holes it does look like dive machine track, so I'm with that now. Especially considering the paint scheme is configured the same way Fury's is in that it has an overall color and a secondary color on the bottom of the track. And with CP having a pretty colorful skyline (Magnum and Maverick are red, Rougarou is orange, Twister and Dragster are yellow, Raptor is green, GateKeeper and Blue Streak are blue, and Millie and Corkscrew are a purple-indigo color) silver and brown seem to be left out except for maybe the exception of Mean Streak. Considering how Cedar Fair seems to be straying off from traditional color schemes and doing more unusual stuff (look at Banshee or Fury, I haven't seen those colors on many other coasters) lately I think this is CP's.

Now...they had trademark issues with Valravn it seems. Centurion is on the table, true, but I imagine they'd use the logo they designed for it as opposed to creating a new one, and that track doesn't match the logo at all. I would imagine the name and logo end up at CGA for their converted Vortex. This track could also work with a Viking theme, yes, but with the trademark suspended this might not come to fruition. But I doubt this coaster is called Centurion. Valravn or they trademake something new like they did for Fury.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Whelp, there was a leak. Posted it in the obligatory Cedar Point thread.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
I herd on screamscape a couple weeks ago that Dorney park could possibly get a new coaster for next year. They are kind of due because it's been 4 years since they got that relocated invertigo, so could we possible see that RMC woodie that has been rumored for years.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^ Not this year. RMC is only doing 3 US projects: Storm Chaser, Shot Rod, and(presumably) Iron Roar. No chance Dorney will get one in 2016. Another coaster, maybe. But not an RMC.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Not long before the announcement. :)

11822788_10153052252636463_6604603963705290822_n.jpg

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
I'm still not sure that it will be a Dive Coaster. I know many people have said it, but the space still seems limited to me and I know CF has been trying to put a dark ride at all of their parks.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^But Matt said they aren't planning on any Triotech Dark Rides for 2016. Even so, if Cedar Point ever got one, they'd gut the Colosseum Arcade and put it there. That building is huge.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Going back to the track. (Thats now been proved to be a Dive Machine thanks to the little sitckers on it)
Something interesting is the extended spine we've seen on the recent B&M gigas

11822684_871551942929091_1135289759534477709_n.jpg

This to me suggests it will be a DM without the turn at the top of the lift so the spine forms the arch like structure seen on the gigas.

Feel free to prove me wrong but will be interesting to see either way

Jarrett

From an engineering standpoint, I want to say that that confirms it wouldn't have a high turn before the drop. If I'm correct, the reason Fury and Leviathan have support structures like that is to pin the track to the ground. This way, all the weight of the structure itself is transfered back into the ground, providing reactionary force to hold it together and take some weight off of the supports. It's fairly pointless if the structure turns I think, could be wrong though.

However, it should also be noted that GateKeeper has a spine that extends to the ground on the lift hill. They might have built it as an arch as well, using that spine and that support on the drop as anchored points at the end.

I have taken statics and know this effect and I did see a video confirming that this is how Leviathan was supported but can someone confirm the GateKeeper thing? I really feel like there would be no engineering benefit to having that extended spine there if it wasn't being used as part of an arch. :?

Intricks

Strata Poster
The ONLY thing Im seeing with how the spine looks, is either a vertical/near vertical lift.

If you look at it as the spine structure that extends all the way to the ground, then it is coming from the highest point and sloping to the lowest point.

I honestly cant visualize it any other way

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
bentcookie said:
^ that would make sense considering the way the anti-rollback teeth are facing.
I was just thinking that. Could be a vertical lift and it would save space for the rest of the ride. The dog teeth are facing a way in which the coaster could only be going "up" if you will.

Unless they are just using a large spine for support up a standard 45 degree lift which I guess I could see as well. Look at the bottom portion of the lift of Fury and you can see the similarity that the spine is used for extra support up a standard lift hill.

E41E99A1-EABA-4021-9C30-9EB261F83163_zpsux2uwidu.jpg

Jarrett

^, ^^ That spine doesn't connect to the ground perpendicularly like most supports do, the footer is wedge-shaped, with the wedge angled at the lift angle.

10631169_10152654308293599_7526734244480586680_o.jpg

Fury 325's lift arch footer. Photo credit: Carowinds Connection

I think the rear end of that track piece will be parallel with the ground and what you're seeing is what you're getting. The picture seems to distort the angle somewhat but you can tell it isn't 90 degrees, though it does look a bit steeper than anything they've done before. They'll just put a wedge-shaped footer back behind that, it won't be ninety degrees with the ground.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You have 14 days to figure it out! :razz:

And for those looking for the spine design on Gatekeeper:

015.jpg

And a comparison look at Fury 325:

10-25-14-3-Wormy.jpg

As you can see in these photos, the extended spine is at an angle - this corner lift hill piece will not necessarily be sitting with the spine perpendicular to the ground.

Jarrett

^I wanted to point out that the footers supporting the extended spines are different in those pictures. GateKeeper you can see has its spine cut off on a bias and touches a flat footer, whereas Fury's hits the wedge-shaped footer I discussed in my other post.

The conclusion I'm drawing from this is that this coaster should be pretty big. With GateKeeper, having the spine like that is going to want to make it slide back, which should exert some critically resolved shear stress (I think that's what we were told it's called in materials, but if I'm mixing up terminology, it's essentially going to want to bend those bolts back) on the rods sticking from the footers. GateKeeper is a smaller coaster, so it can get away with that. It's obvious that bigger coasters like Fury and Leviathan can't since there's so much being exerted on the bottom of that spine that the bolts need to point in the direction of the force so they don't experience a bending moment. Another thought I had would be maybe pulling a GateKeeper and building the arch with the other leg being a lift support, and continuing off of there normally.

Completely off the topic of this mystery piece, what are the thoughts on a newly renovated marina entrance? The teaser image depicts water so I feel like they'll use the view of the ride with the proximity to the lake to their advantage in promoting it, but could we see the pull a mini Fury or GateKeeper with the marina entrance? That entrance, while nice and nostalgic, is dated. I'd love to see them update it and give it some flavor with a new coaster nearby, maybe even diving over and under it. It would make a trip to Famous Dave's more fun, that's for sure!

Intricks

Strata Poster
I see now that it wont be full on vertical, but I think it will be the steepest lift B&M has done to date (max being a 70° incline, but realistically between 50°-60° incline) to help take up less space.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Psh. Nerds.

I'm gonna say it will be fast and loopy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk