What's new

Cedar Fair 2016

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Pat Jones have confirmed it to be a Mondial ride.
Loved Bakken's new Sky Roller, a 41m version should be awesome! It's probably also the new 24 people version.

Cedar Fair's flat ride addition's usually sucks, so these two are awesome!

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Found this on Gerstlauer's site, it'll give you a good idea of the ride, granted this version is "only" 35m tall.

ScaleWidthWzMwMF0=-PL3SkyRo02.png

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Cedar Point have been posting on facebook essentially what was their coaster wall, with one coaster everyday. Presuming, like the website, they count pipe scream, does this mean the announcement will be some time around 11th September?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Could very well be. First countdown didn't work - so might as well do it again! :razz:

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Surprised this hasn't ended up here yet! As expected, Carowinds will be transforming Boomerang Bay into Carolina Harbor in 2016!

http://carolinaharbor.carowinds.com/?_g ... 1407533715

BirdsEyeMapCarolinaHarbor.jpg

BlackBeardGall.jpg

WavePoolGall.jpg

SeasideGall.jpg

FoodGall.jpg

KittyGall.jpg

So on the way we have another wave pool, a capsule slide complex like the one we're getting at Kings Island, play areas for kids and families, a new restaurant, and I think I also saw an elevation view of another massive Starbucks? Looks like this should really improve that dumpy water park, hats of to Carowinds for doing this. I remember I always dreaded getting dragged into that god awful concrete jungle with my parents, this should really improve it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Wow! I didn't know Cedar Fair was relocated Geauga Lake Wildwater Kingdom to Carowinds for 2016! :razz:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So they're keeping the old wave pool? They took out Thunder Road for a wavepool and path?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/637007742474022913[/tweet]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The LA Times released a Cedar Fair expose yesterday, interviewing Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet, including some discussion for next year additions: http://www.latimes.com/travel/themepark ... story.html

Some snippets of note from the interview:

On Gate Coasters said:
The gate coasters -- Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and Fury 325 at Carowinds -- are known internally as “Deckerated” coasters, so named for Cedar Fair coaster designer Rob Decker, who hates the honorific, Ouimet said.

So can we expect a gate coaster at every Cedar Fair park?

“Now, if I could rewind history, would I do them at the front of every Cedar Fair park?” Ouimet said. “Probably. But it’s not going to happen.”

While several parks with beautiful promenade entrances like Canada’s Wonderland and Kings Island will never get gate coasters, Ouimet said a couple more Cedar Fair parks will eventually get “Deckerated.”

On Stand-Up Conversions said:
This summer, Ohio’s Cedar Point converted the 1996 Mantis stand-up coaster into a floorless coaster known as Rougarou. The relatively rare conversion raised the obvious question: Which Cedar Fair coaster is next?

“We have a couple more we could do and I suspect you’ll see that happen,” Ouimet said. “But unfortunately it’s not one of those things you can play out in 10 different places.”

On Relocations said:
With coasters, the what’s-old-is-new-again strategy takes many forms. Shipping off an old coaster to a new location is the theme park equivalent of the witness protection program for aging thrill rides -- complete with a new look, name and city for the relocated attraction. Rival Six Flags has turned coaster relocation into a regular practice.

Cedar Fair’s Dorney Park in Pennsylvania is home to a couple relocated rides: a 1998 Vekoma Invertigo shuttle coaster from California’s Great America and a 2000 Intamin Impulse launched shuttle coaster from Ohio’s Geauga Lake.

But Ouimet doesn’t see coaster relocations as a viable business model.

“If a ride is really popular, you don’t want to take it out,” Ouimet said. “And if it’s not, then it’s probably outlived its longevity anyway.”

On Wooden Coaster Conversions said:
One of the biggest challenges amusement parks face is maintaining aging wooden coasters. In recent years, Idaho-based Rocky Mountain Construction has solved the problem with wooden coaster renovations that turn existing rides into wood-steel hybrids with looping inversions.

“The revitalization or rejuvenation of wooden coasters is probably a card that gets played for the next 10 years,” Ouimet said. “We are obviously looking at our whole portfolio just to decide what we do with it.”

“The industry has developed some very good, solid players these days,” Ouimet said. “Rocky Mountain is a good example, GCI is a good example. We’ll probably work with all of them before we’re done.”

steel

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
The LA Times released a Cedar Fair expose yesterday, interviewing Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet, including some discussion for next year additions: http://www.latimes.com/travel/themepark ... story.html

Some snippets of note from the interview:

On Gate Coasters said:
The gate coasters -- Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and Fury 325 at Carowinds -- are known internally as “Deckerated” coasters, so named for Cedar Fair coaster designer Rob Decker, who hates the honorific, Ouimet said.

So can we expect a gate coaster at every Cedar Fair park?

“Now, if I could rewind history, would I do them at the front of every Cedar Fair park?” Ouimet said. “Probably. But it’s not going to happen.”

While several parks with beautiful promenade entrances like Canada’s Wonderland and Kings Island will never get gate coasters, Ouimet said a couple more Cedar Fair parks will eventually get “Deckerated.”

California's Great America: Seems like one of those "beautiful promenade entrances" that doesn't need any help.
Canada's Wonderland: Apparently confirmed no, also Leviathan already basically serves this purpose.
Carowinds: Obviously already done.
Cedar Point: Also done.
Dorney Park: Possible, although I'm not quite sure where they would put it? I guess it could start down by Stinger and Possessed, but that seems like a rather enormous coaster for a park the size of Dorney.
Kings Dominion: Assumedly no as it has the same entrance plaza as Kings Island.
Kings Island: Same as Canada's Wonderland.
Knott's Berry Farm: Would be quite a squeeze but Knott's has pulled off some major shoehorns in the past.
Michigan's Adventure: lol
Valleyfair: Already has a pretty impressive collection at the entrance with both Wild Thing and Steel Venom, but there's certainly room to grow on the north side of the park.
Worlds of Fun: Most logical option by far imo. The old Orient Express lot is still mostly empty, there's a ton of unused space on both sides of the entrance, they're coming due for a new coaster (Prowler was 6 years ago), and the current entrance plaza feels like an afterthought, especially since the parking lot is pretty far away from the park compared to other CF parks.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Jarrett said:
Surprised this hasn't ended up here yet! As expected, Carowinds will be transforming Boomerang Bay into Carolina Harbor in 2016!

http://carolinaharbor.carowinds.com/?_g ... 1407533715

BirdsEyeMapCarolinaHarbor.jpg

BlackBeardGall.jpg

WavePoolGall.jpg

SeasideGall.jpg

FoodGall.jpg

KittyGall.jpg

So on the way we have another wave pool, a capsule slide complex like the one we're getting at Kings Island, play areas for kids and families, a new restaurant, and I think I also saw an elevation view of another massive Starbucks? Looks like this should really improve that dumpy water park, hats of to Carowinds for doing this. I remember I always dreaded getting dragged into that god awful concrete jungle with my parents, this should really improve it.
In addition to Carolina Harbor, Carowinds mentioned they would be announcing a 'world's first' attraction in October for 2016. The speculated theme is Plants vs. Zombies due to the teaser they showed but I think that might just be a red herring.,

The Beast

Roller Poster
I'm wondering if Valleyfair got some sort deal worked adding some new flat rides? A capital improvement annoucement is coming this Saturday September 12. My speculation it will be a Larson Flyer, a thrilling new Huss frisbee like a max air and a Star Flyer and more water park expansion. I also think that you will see the Looping Star Ship be relocated to the front of the park and remove the Hurricane Falls to make room for the next water park expansion and I think you will start seeing Valleyfair redo the entire back of the park plus removing the Excalibur for the new soak city water parking lot and get the permits approved for the wetland project from the government. Once they get there permits approved you will see a very large water park expansion for the back of the park then you will see a new coaster plus a dark ride we're the amphitheater sits. That's my prediction for Valleyfair in the next few years.