What's new

Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Carowinds | Unknown 2015

I will laugh my ass off if they go with the name Hornet after the rebranded basketball team.

That's about all I have to add at this point. That, and it won't break the almighty Millennium Force height.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Has anybody seen this yet? Apparently there is another poster at the construction site that has a number on it (shown in the video) and calling the number on it gives you a message.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj9mBAUgBeg[/youtube]

I'm really starting to think that Carowinds had the track colors changed last minute when they found out that Centurion couldn't be trademarked but decided to go with what they had to throw people off at first.

According to Screamscape, there was a man in a beekeeper suit going out to hand out boxes containing very large butterfly nets, and that poster mentioned previously says, "you're gonna need a much bigger net," which hints at an insect theme. That combined with the theme of the poster in the video containing the number seems to really shy away from Centurion.

My guess? This will be themed to a mutated insect, possibly a bee/wasp/hornet that resulted from a lab accident. Maybe the name could be Drone? :? The marketing here has started off really easy but the **** seems to have hit the fan and I have no idea what the **** this this could be themed to! :lol:

Screamscape source: http://www.screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm

Intricks

Strata Poster

Well, according to those from Facebook, there is green track at the Batavia plant currently

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Jarrett

I can confirm this via Screamscape.

db_2014_0806_BMTrack9991.jpg

Source: http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm

I honestly think this is our track. Assuming Banshee was setting a trend with interesting track colors, this is about as interesting and unusual a color as Banshee's. That combined with the width of the spine looking more like that of a traditional coaster than an inverted coaster of sorts really makes me think this is going to Carowinds.

I thought the track was **** hideous at first but it's grown on me. It'll be interesting to see what color they choose for the supports. And as much as I hate to say it, I really think Fury 325 is our name due to the trademark. :( If somebody could point me towards another Cedar Fair park that could be getting a 325-foot drop tower you would make my day, but I really think this is our coaster.

Jarrett

The repaint of Mantis and Screamscape's confirmation that it's being converted to a floorless does seem coincidental. Maybe it's getting a new name and the Mantis name is being repurposed for Carowinds.

I honestly feel like calling a coaster that's being marketed to be this sinister Mantis would suck. It's marketed to be a raw power behind the fence, the whole "you can't stop it, only hope to contain it" bit, it sounds like a new name, possibly some kind of mythical being.

Screamscape also pointed out that Charlotte's NBA team is being rebranded as the Hornets. Could we see this as some kind of commemoration? Cedar Point has already gotten involved in the Lebron James thing that I don't care about (still not sure if they plan to actually follow through with that) but it's clear that somebody at Cedar Fair has a thing for NBA. I don't expect this to be themed directly after the Charlotte Hornets but maybe having an insect-themed coaster the same year the rebranding went into effect could add some more local flare to the park. Carowinds has a lot of local flare (Intimidator being there for the NASCAR Hall of Fame, Windseeker's commemoration of the Wright Brothers' first flight that the Carolinas flat out STOLE from us Daytonians :x ), so I could see them giving this an insect theme and adding a little blurb about the Charlotte Hornets in the press release.

So from most to least likely, here are the potential names we're looking at.

1. [SOMETHING ELSE]
2. Fury 325
3. Hornet
4. Mantis
5. Centurion

Jarrett

Sorry. The first post on this page says that the test paint is linked to the plan to make it floorless and change the name, but doesn't say it's being done.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

I really hope they go through with it, though. Mantis is a really cool coaster name and it seems to have been wasted on such an awful ride. Give it to a giga and I feel like that would do the name justice.

DavidW

Roller Poster

Thats a great idea and all, and it could be true, but screamscape is usually fare from a credible source .

Jarrett

^Remember, it's not confirmed that it's our track, but considering how it doesn't have a home and it seems to follow Banshee's example of having an unusual color.

I've been keeping track (no pun intended) of where all of it is going and I have this:

Track:
Orange- Holiday World
Teal- Unknown
White- Gardaland
Yellow- China
Green- Unknown

Projects:
Thunderbird- Orange
Gardaland- White
Chinese Flying Coaster- Yellow
Efteling- Unknown
Carowinds- Unknown

So by process of elimination, we have Carowinds and Efteling recieving either teal or green track. However, looking at the teal, you can tell it isn't for any above-the-track coaster with the narrow spine. My guess is that it's for one of the Texas Six Flags parks. SFFT and SFOT both have B&M inverts if I'm correct, but a flyer would fit in very well at either. As for Efteling, I've heard word on TPR that there was red track there that disappeared without being loaded onto a truck bed, a common practice for track going overseas. So while I haven't seen any pictures of the red track and I'm very skeptical of all of this, I'd say red is off to Efteling. That leaves the green track unclaimed. Considering that it has an unusual color scheme similar to Banshee's and the ties look fairly wide like Leviathan's, I really think this is our track.

Leviathan-Canadas-Wonderland-Giga-Coaster-6.jpg

They're two entirely different pieces of track but I think the width is about right as far as rails go. I'd be surprised to find out that the green wasn't for Carowinds.

coaster addict

Mega Poster

Got the same email and like that green seems to be included. So, if the track is green, I wonder how that plays to the Roman / Centurion theme (or would it be more fitting to Fury 325)?

Jarrett

^The thing is, though, I don't think that's what it's called. I think Centurion is officially out and something else is in.

I feel like the marketing team had an entire campaign similar to Banshee's (which was pretty straightforward) planned out for Centurion but upon the whole trademark fiasco, they abandoned ship and went with something else, but decided to use the first few phases of the Centurion campaign to throw people off. Now they have people in beekeeper suits handing out nets, and the "you're gonna need a bigger net," taglines showing up regarding this.

Carowinds.jpg

This image is the invite to the media announcement event in Harmony Hall, notice how the image's colors match the track colors almost exactly. That along with my reasoning above is enough to make me think that this is our track. Compare that to this, for instance:

db_2014_0806_BMTrack9991.jpg

They match almost perfectly. I feel like this is pretty solid evidence.

That being said, "you can't stop it, only hope to contain it" is probably the tagline for this ride, and that would make zero sense for a ride called Centurion. I really think we're looking at the track for a coaster with some kind of insect theme, and with the beekeeper suit, probably a stinging insect theme. Wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement video rocking a dark sky growing over the park as some sort of giant wasp flies over Hurler and the parking lot leaving green track behind it a la Thunderbird or similar to Banshee's.

One thing's for sure, though, Carowinds has successfully stumped us. I was pretty confident in what Banshee was this close to the announcement, I have NO idea how this thing could be themed! XD

peep

CF Legend

I've not really followed this conversation but I thought I'd just come in and say that Jarretts reasoning for that track being for Carowinds is the same reason a Dutch site was saying it'd be for Efteling. Marketing pics are green therefore track must be.

I'll admit that out of the green and teal track colours, Efteling is more than likely getting the green track.

Jarrett

^Didn't know about Efteling's green teaser images. However, my thought with this was that the Carowinds teaser images were not only the same color but also the exact shades as found on the track. Haven't seen the Efteling teaser images so I'm really in no position to say this is more likely but I feel like that track doesn't seem wide enough for a dive coaster. I was basing that guess mainly on color and track dimensions, because if what I know serves me correctly, that green track has the right neighborhood of width to be a giga like Leviathan.

Gah, all of this is making me want to load my quadracopter into my car and fly it over the plant in Batavia on my way to Kings Island tomorrow. :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I know Efteling will be a dive coaster - has anyone bothered to do a bolt count to see if this green track matches up with hyper or dive machine track dimensions? There is no denying though that the color match between the Carowinds media flyer and this track is pretty dead on.

And no - the roller coaster will not be called Mantis. The copyright on that name is not new - was originally filed back in 1995: http://www.trademarkia.com/company-ceda ... 4-page-5-2

Carowinds has indeed shed all Roman-themed hints, which would appear to favor Fury 325 as the name for this roller coaster.

Jarrett

It's a dummy site in my opinion. I don't trust anything like this after the whole Bat/Banshee thing. But I like that logo, hope they repurpose it. :)