What's new

California's Great America | "Gold Striker" | GCI Wood

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
This coaster will suck so badly. So slow, lacks airtime, short ,and just does small turns the whole ride.

You won't know that until someone rides it. It's possible you are right but you cannot say that with such certainty at this moment.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I have learned better than to underestimate those lovely GCI transitions. I really do hope it adds a boost to the park - lord knows they have been waiting long enough for it.

Newtrek5

Mega Poster
Keep in mind that was the first run, not really that unusual for it to run somewhat slowly. Let the coaster break in and let's see. While this is a somewhat standard GCI design, this ride is so NOT going to suck. Unless you think Thunderhead, Kentucky Rumbler, Troy, Lightning Racer and Apocalypse suck.

These rides are fun crowd pleasers, just what CGA needed. They can go for the extreme forces next time out. I love this addition.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah not stunning, but not even close to suck. It really depends on how it rides once you roll on this bad boy.. as I thought Kentucky Rumbler would be great and it was subpar and Evel Kineval would be terrible and it was incredible.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Silly enthusiasts :p
Sure it's not unique or mind blowing (guess now even great woodies will be seen unfavorably in comparison to the RMC ones) but GCI makes fun coasters.
And for this park it must be like, well...striking gold ; ) ; )

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
A lot of those transitions are going to be fantastic. Plus, we have to remember that it was the first test run. The ride is going to break in by the time it opens.

Ben

CF Legend
Wait, why would you enclose the first drop, one of the most visually appealing parts of a ride, in such a gross tunnel that removes all feeling of height and excitement?

Looks pretty crappy really <//3

Smithy

Strata Poster
1st little bunny hop looks awesome. Rest has some pretty painfull looking (will no doubt ride fine) transistions.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Wait, why would you enclose the first drop, one of the most visually appealing parts of a ride, in such a gross tunnel that removes all feeling of height and excitement?

Looks pretty crappy really <//3

Because there's corporate offices about 75 feet from there? GCIs aren't generally very loud rides, but the riders might be. This gives CGA the opportunity to say they did something about the noise. (Even if they were there long before the neighbors, there's no point in being antagonistic.)