What's new

California's Great America | "Gold Striker" | GCI Wood

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
California's Great America is supposed to make an announcement for their new coaster on or near August 29th, but construction is already well underway. Why would a park that was up for sell not long ago be building a new coaster?

Earlier this year Cedar Fair signed an agreement that will allow for the San Fransisco 49er’s NFL team to build their new stadium in the park’s overflow lot, as well as park in the main lot on game days. In return the city of Santa Clara will give them a lease extension deal on the land under the park. The existing deal will see Cedar Fair pay the city $5.3 million a year through 2039, afterwards the park will only pay between $5.7 to $6.3 million annually through 2074. The park will also be able to keep it’s profits until it exceeds $64 million in revenue provided that the park makes at least $10 million in capital investments, so Cedar Fair now has the incentive to invest in a new attractions for the park.

I'm not the person to be able to guess as to what the new coaster could be, but here are photos I was able to take today that might give some of you an idea of what it could be. The ground shots are terrible due to the huge wall surrounding the area & I couldn't get any closer where there was no wall due to the sky coaster, but the overhead shots from the observation tower came out ok.

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5917.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: California's Great America | Unknown | Unknown

It's rumored to be very similar to the proposed GCI from five years ago(?), if it isn't the same as that.

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: California's Great America | "Unknown" | GCI Wood?

Let me dig up the pictures, I still have them buried somewhere in my comp.

EDIT: Here's the only one I could find,

UmSyZ.jpg

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

From the footers that have been poured already, it looks like that layout could still match up.

steel

Mega Poster

I'm so glad this is happening. That's a park that deserves better.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Looks like an absolutely amazing coaster.

bmac

Giga Poster

steel said:
I'm so glad this is happening. That's a park that deserves better.

100% agreed. This park has been ignored by Cedar Fair for almost 7 years now, it's about time they finally got some love.

Tomatron

Giga Poster

They (Cedar Fair) had been trying to flog the park for a decent price for ages so that the 49ers could build a car park for a new stadium or something like that. Looks like it may be there for a little while yet now this is getting built.

bmac

Giga Poster

They agreed last year I believe to split the property. So the Parking Lot is going to be shared between CGA and the 49ers. Oh game day will be interesting, lol.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Tomatron said:
They (Cedar Fair) had been trying to flog the park for a decent price for ages so that the 49ers could build a car park for a new stadium or something like that.
ECG said:
Earlier this year Cedar Fair signed an agreement that will allow for the San Fransisco 49er’s NFL team to build their new stadium in the park’s overflow lot, as well as park in the main lot on game days.
-
Tomatron said:
Looks like it may be there for a little while yet now this is getting built.
ECG said:
The existing deal will see Cedar Fair pay the city $5.3 million a year through 2039, afterwards the park will only pay between $5.7 to $6.3 million annually through 2074.
I'd say that 62 years is a bit more than "a little while'. :p

Intricks

Strata Poster

Random spot of info, this is going to be called Gold Striker.

bmac

Giga Poster

So how many other rides being built next year will have some sort of western-esque theme?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

There is no post, there is only Zule.

bmac

Giga Poster

Curveballs, not even major league baseball players get them...

bmac

Giga Poster

The first pieces of wood are being put into place!
1vg3q4cgdm24vjcaj9g002.jpg

and it's pretty much a dead match to the image below so far.

UmSyZ.jpg

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Well considering there is an entire turn built, I would hardly say they are just getting started. Regardless, I am still interested to see this thing built.

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster

looks great so far also has anyone else herd that the new coaster at santa cruz beach boardwalk will be a spinning coaster named undertow