What's new

California's Great America | "Gold Striker" | GCI Wood

Newtrek5

Mega Poster
Although the ride isn't going to open with the park, I'm still hearing that they are shooting for an April opening date. In other news, the entire first drop will be enclosed with a 127ft long tunnel.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Gold Striker is now reportedly adding a tunnel for the entire length of the first drop, complete with underfill to totally darken the tunnel. While the park is trying to drum this new addition up as a world record longest-first-drop-tunnel, there is heavy reason to believe that this tunnel will be an attempt for noise control. Knott's Berry Farm similarly added a roof to the first drop of Ghostrider to control noise levels.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/02/20/ ... ludes.html

It will be interesting to see how the unplanned addition plays out.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
rollermonkey said:
"World Record Longest First Drop Tunnel"?

A bit of a stretch to seek a headline.

Yes, but it's a classic when life gives you lemons moment. Need to control noise? make it a "world record"

benderboy

Roller Poster
no worse than my home park SFSTL boasting to be the "coaster capitol of Missouri" with the addition of Boomerang.

a full tunnel will be an interesting addition to the ride, doesn't bother me either way having it or not, will just have to ride it to form a better opinion.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
While the tunnel is not planned, I do not think it is a bad idea. Screamscape mentions Tennessee Tornado's first drop tunnel, which is utterly fantastic. Ghostrider's covered drop too creates a certain head-chopper effect as you crest over the hill in the back seat.

This could work out. I would even love to see them add one or two airtime hill tunnels, similar to what Ravine Flyer II has.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
The cars are on their way.

157860d1363647283-2013-neuheit-gold-striker-gci-holzachterbahn-california-s-great-america-thumb_image_490.jpg

Beautiful structure!

157862d1363647292-2013-neuheit-gold-striker-gci-holzachterbahn-california-s-great-america-thumb_photo_85.jpg

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Re: California's Great America | "Gold Striker" | GCI Wood

It does come with fast forward, you can see it activate as soon as the train comes off the lift hill.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The park has released a first test run POV. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTYQhuZIXQ[/youtube]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
There is still that part of me that wishes they would black out underneath the track on the drop for a total immersion - similar to Beast's tunnels.

Newtrek5

Mega Poster
And the ride seems longer than it is. I know the track length is about 3,000ft which is average, but it turns and twists for a good while.

Yes this ride may seem a bit meh to people who want face ripping gs and pelvic crushing airtime, but this ride was exactly what a park like CGA needed.

Snoo

The Legend
Snoo said:
Meh.. looks like a standard GCI.. nothing overtly special about it.

Yep.. I confirm my feels about this ride. Not saying GCI is bad but this isn't something new or crazy.