What's new

BPB | Red Arrows Sky Force | Gerstlauer Sky Fly

Darren B

Giga Poster
Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Project 2015

^If Ian says it won't be a coaster then it won't be a coaster. Don't get your hopes up for more than a spin and spew.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

They just posted up an image of the red arrows in front of the big one. Air race on bling's site pretty much confirmed.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

silenthillXD said:
They just posted up an image of the red arrows in front of the big one. Air race on bling's site pretty much confirmed.
It bet you're right mate. It will probably be a Red Arrows themed air race which I'll probably get to ride next year.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

cjbrandy said:
silenthillXD said:
It bet you're right mate. It will probably be a Red Arrows themed air race which I'll probably get to ride next year.

Yeah, I am glad it is, they need a flat, and after riding Air Race at Drayton I must say I was really impressed! Sure they're not the best ride, but go in with sensible expectations and they're easily a 8/10. And surprisingly enough they aren't too sickly!

Martyn B

CF Legend

An Air Race comes across as an odd choice to me, purely because they don't seem to like their flats at PBB!

Bling and Spin Doctor (similar thrills to An Air Race) both didn't last very long.

Aside from the flats in Nick land, what do they actually have?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

They don't need a flat; they need a coaster since the only "new" one in the last 20 years has been a relocation.

Let's face it, there's been nothing of note at that place since Valhalla, and nothing coaster-wise since The Big One 20 years ago.

I'm in the minority of really liking PBP, but it's a stagnant park that needs to pull its finger out.

Darren B

Giga Poster

^Yeah, it's easily my favorite park in the UK. But, you're bang on, it's getting stale.

I don't really see any room for a coaster though, and Amanda won't start ripping stuff down to build something new, she doesn't work like that. She loves 'tarting' stuff up. Nickelodeon Land, Wallace & Gromit etc. That's why I've always thought that giving the Big Dipper the Iron Horse treatment would be 'very Amanda'. She wouldn't give a **** about the small group of enthusiasts that would protest such a move and it'd give her a world class coaster at the same time. And let's face it; the BD isn't particulary popular anymore. A rebirth could do it wonders!

Robbie

Hyper Poster

I notice they've knocked the price down for a "Diamond Pass" next year (from £40 to £30). Might help a bit of the atmosphere in the park a little.

As for rides, I think it does need a coaster but I can see an Air Race doing well for a little while.

Jared

Hyper Poster

I've heard it's an Air Race themed to the Red Arrows. Very British and very in keeping with the Pleasure Beach. :)

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

It's good they are finally getting a flat but seems odd that they aren't going for a new experience, Drayton have just installed one, Brighton pier has one, they aren't anything different, that's if they do get a air face that is.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I understand the negativity about an air race, but how many parks for years had tea cups, scramblers, waltzers, frisbees. It's not uncommon for multiple parks to have the same (or very similar) flat rides. It's unlikely bread and butter visitors go to Drayton, Brighton and Blackpool in the same year (or within years of each other) or really care too much about flats anyway. So it's something that fits their selling system, pocket and space.

Yeah, it's "meh" but if it's not a coaster it always would be - no matter what flat they chose.

I think it would be tragic for Blackpool to Iron Horse Big Dipper, but also a fantastic business move. As Blackpool fans don't care about the rides there (they wouldn't support a listing document on the rides), then it doesn't really matter.

I used to love the plesh, but too many visits, too much stagnation and poor upkeep of some of the riders I loved means I just don't enjoy the place anymore. So it needs something really fresh and exciting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

furie said:
I used to love the plesh, but too many visits, too much stagnation and poor upkeep of some of the riders I loved means I just don't enjoy the place anymore.

I don't think you can blame them for poor "rider upkeep"!

Or did you mean "ride upkeep"?? :lol:

anyway - although I really love the place, it needs something fresh - and space restriction means it probably has to be at the cost of an existing ride - a big dipper conversion would work wonders, and they'd still have the rest of the classic woodies - even the nostalgia fan in me is prepared for that (as long as it doesn't work out as badly as Wallace n Gromit)..

As for the air race - I can think of worse flats!

nadroJ

CF Legend

Are there any reports on the popularity of Wallace and Gromit? I know Nick Land was hugely popular but did it provide much return?

I'm with Darren in that I think we'll continue to see things tarted up over big investments over the next few years.

An Air Race would be a good addition to show that they've installed something new for 2015 while they continue to update things elsewhere.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

An Air Race will prove to the unwashed clientele that they're investing in something new, while still being, ultimately, s**t.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

^Air races are very good little flat rides, but I dont see flat rides at pleasure beach being a big deal to the public due to the 3 Blackpool piers being full of them.

STC

Mega Poster

It's not an Air Race. It'll be a Gerstlauer Sky Roller or a Star Flyer.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

Hmm, Sky Roller.... That would be a UK first, and can cater for all ages.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Star Flier would be such a bad idea - though they may do it to further irk Joey when he visits and PMBO is closed due to high winds once again along with the Star Flier if they picked one :p

There's not much between the Air Race and Sky Roller but my prior point still stands - it really won't be noticed by the majority of guests that it's much the same as Drayton's new ride. Only enthusiasts will do that.

Likewise, the guests won't know if it's unique to the UK or not. It's just a new flat ride and unless it's themed to the hilt, the public just go "new ride", fall into the "eugh" or "Yeah" category and skip/ride it before moving on to the coaster which are their main draw.

Darren B

Giga Poster

I really don't like flats, but, bar a good drop tower the Sky Roller is by far a favourite of mine. They're great fun! Good on Amanda if she installs one of these.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Tbh I hope it's a Sky Roller, they look fab and would fit Blackpool just was well as an air race, with the added benefit that I've not been on one yet ;p