What's new

Biggest waste of time, space or money.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^Someone likes X:NWO on CF :--D

The Rapids At alton for me has they take up loads of space and the only reason I got wet on it was because it was raining when I got on it.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Speaking of Rapids. Thorpe should get rid of theirs. It takes so long to get to and they only last about 30 seconds and you hardly ever get wet.
They should either replace it to get a lot more room or replace it with a decent set of rapids. :p

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Am I the only person in the world that actually think Thorpe's rapids are better than Alton's?! I actually get wet on Thorpe's, while Alton's are just a nice sit down for a bit.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^ I agree with about Alton's Rapids being a nice sit down, because Last time I went I was jogging inbetween rides and it was a seat without wasting time and/or a coaster.

CMonster

Giga Poster
For parks that I've been to, I'd say Rhino Rally has to be one, in a weird way at least.

I actually like the ride, but the water portion, while very good when working, was very, very unreliable and expensive. If it hadn't been down so often, it would have been very good.

As it is, I guess it's okay, because Cheetah Hunt will be using that area for better purposes. :)

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Mean Streak is the only coaster I've seen that I would concider a complete waste as I enjoy nearly every ride I do. Does anybody actually like it?

After this weekend I would deffend Th13teen from its crits. Its fun and its a nice break from all the high G rides. It seems to be running a lot faster this end of the year. I got 3 back end rides with a mightly loose restraint which was jokes.

An off-topic general statement. One thing that bugs me about many enthusiasts (mainly on TPR to be fair) is how quick they are to regard something as a pile of shiz. If it doesn't pull particular sensations for however long, then its automatically slated and hated. Don't sit there with a pen and paper ticking the 'enthusiast checklist' is all I can say. Just sit there and have fun with what you've got, not worrying about "OMG 1.0034 milliseconds of ejector airtime" and the technical shiz and you will enjoy it. Not trying to have a big dig, but it just annoys that some perfectly fine rides get shot down for such little things.

Beans

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
I like Thirteen, but I accept that I am apparently the only person in the world who does. I have huge respect for Thirteen

Actually Joey you are not, after this weekend I have taken a big liking to it. It makes me laugh, you feel cheerful riding it especially at the back, there is really good airtime on the first drop and the next two hills, the drop make the tummy twinge slightly in apprehension of the second drop and the backwards wiggle in the tunnel is fun, the launch back to the station in the mist at night is quirky as well, like it better in the dark but no after some deliberation and knowing I am going to be shot down in flames for my comments then no not a waste of money, the only downfall was it's marketing...

The one Coaster I do consider a waste of space and time is X:NWO
or Beastie(so painful) and the big pile of potenial firewood at Cedar Point, yes Mean Streak as I have to agree with my son.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Thirteen was never a waste of space in regards to what it was geared to do... Be a Corkscrew replacement...

I think it's safe to say it fulfilled that criteria damn near perfectly...

Just a shame it got hyped up to **** and had that crappy cheap marketing follow it...

Ollie

CF Legend
There's nothing wrong with Th13teen. Just the way it got marketed really badly and also knowing the ride would be loads better if they got rid of the trims. :p

jokerman

Giga Poster
It wasn't marketed badly at all. It was marketed brilliantly. They took an average coaster, and made it seem like the greatest thing since sliced bread. That's fantastic marketing.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^But on the other hand, they ended up with quite a few people disappointed with the ride when they got off, enthusiasts and general public alike...

jokerman

Giga Poster
I don't think they care. They got those people through the gates, and that's what matters. They're unlikely to be losing much repeat custom because of one dodgy ride. People won't just stop going to Alton.

Martyn B

CF Legend
jokerman said:
I don't think they care. They got those people through the gates, and that's what matters.

But if they do it again, people may think "not after the last one" etc.

jokerman

Giga Poster
They aren't going to lose that much custom from this. A few people may decide on principal that they aren't going back, but this will be so few that it won't matter.

Most people on here slated the ride, but that hasn't stopped them returning to the park throughout the year, has it?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Those "most people on here" have annual passes.

It's a tough call really; I know people who loved it and people who were really, really disappointed after the overhyped marketing. Those people will be very, very sceptical of anything Alton choose to do next.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Thirteen was over-hyped, however I still enjoyed it and would happily ride it again just for the fun of it.

Thirteen's impact on first time riders (who have no idea about the drop) is great, just listen to people's conversations as they leave the ride. I think "we've" had a distorted view on things by knowing what was going to happen beforehand.

Like I said above, I'd re-ride it happily, I thought it was fun and enjoyable. Sure, it's not the greatest ride, or the best family ride (and it certainly doesn't have the re-ride-ability that other rides have), but it's a fun little coaster. Yes, they over hyped it massively, and I do really dislike that, but I wouldn't say it was the biggest waste of time or space. That's just a bit dumb I think.

T0M

Hyper Poster
^ I don't think you can define something as a waste of space when it attracts some of the largest queues in the park. Rita is great and it pleases people in their masses and is one of only two Intamin launched roller coasters in the UK.

Charlie and the Chocolate factory has to be up there. The queue line is too dark for young children, the glass elevator too shakey and for adults the whole thing is obviously boring.

s15c

Mega Poster
A-Kid said:
Mean Streak is the only coaster I've seen that I would concider a complete waste as I enjoy nearly every ride I do. Does anybody actually like it?

Yes. I like it. When I ride it I tell everyone in the station to wait for a full train. It weighs it down just that much more. Makes it much more fun.

Snoo

The Legend
So.. the ride gets trimmed even harder and the train jolts around the track that much harder? That's logical.

Mean Streak was good for 2 rides since I've been on it.. and the trims weren't on because it was a colder day and late in the season. That was the ONLY time that ride is worth riding. In fact.. we re-rode it.. Antinos <3