What's new

Biggest waste of time, space or money.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Simple one really. Which ride is the biggest waste of time, space or money in your opinion?
This topic is due to all the negative comments about Air & Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I've read lately, plus all the negative comments on Saw & Th13teen after they opened. I started wondering are they as much of a waste as everyone suggests or is there worse out there?
For me the biggest waste has been Superman the Escape at SFMM. Waited in a very long queue line for a huge ride that did absolutely nothing yet cost plenty to build.
Second would be the Monsters of Rock dark ride at Freestyle Music Park. Especially compared to the fab Nights In White Satin - The Trip ride it used to be. I didn't have to wait long to ride it (probably didn't take long to build either) & it's not that big, but what a waste!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ah, yay for a nice negative topic where I can rant!

X:\NWO takes up a VERY large amount of space, and is widely considered a dull coaster. I know that getting rid of it and the building would create a serious amount of space, perhaps for a large flat or two and possibly even a small-sized coaster.

Air I believe has it's place - I may not be very fond of it, but it is a ride which I wouldn't want to see gone, and I believe it fills the space well enough. It wasn't overly expensive for what it was, and the general public seem to love it, so why should it go?

I would say the same for Saw - lots of money spent, but certainly brought more people, and thus, more revenue to the park.

Charlie was most certainly a major waste of space in terms of the non-simulator section, and I'd happily like to see that go. the simulator itself, however, is fun enough to stay. Too much money spent on that I feel.

Shockwave at Drayton can go away - it may not take up much space at all, but, yeah, it's dreadful in my opinion.

Xpress

Strata Poster
I wouldn't say S: TE is a big waste of space... It fits quite compactly in the park, considering all the room they have around it.

To me, the biggest waste of space is Perilous Plunge. Horrible queue, horrible load times, and a boring ride experience. Might as well toss it out for a new ride. Also, Pony Express. Not worth the hour wait :?

Tom

Hyper Poster
Saw and Th13teen aren't a waste of space as everybody just hates them because for some reason they expected something perfect and were given something pretty good. If it wasn't Merlin, everybody would love them.

I think that Shockwave at Drayton is shocking....it hurts, it's boring and short (which is probably a good thing because of how painful it is) and it should just go.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I guess I should have said 'time, space or money' so fixed. :wink:
Not that Saw, Th13teen or Air are a waste of space, but many seem to feel that they're not worth the time it takes to queue up to ride them & can't be bothered.

Tom

Hyper Poster
^ Well all of those three are only not worth the time because they always have huge queues. In another small park the ride is worse but is worth the time cause theres never a queue.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
FIRST, a defence for Air and Thirteen...

Air is important not only for being a world's first, but because like Oblivion and Nemesis before it's rather avant-garde. It was a huge risk to make a major coaster with a high height limit about a positive experience and not based on fear. And the fact that the realisation of that concept works and is incredibly popular is pretty groundbreaking. It, like Oblivion, is more suggestive than themed and it's a great coaster.

I like Thirteen, but I accept that I am apparently the only person in the world who does. I have huge respect for Thirteen and Winjas at Phantasialand, for being brave enough to invest in unusual narrative elements which transform roller coasters into something that, potentially, has far more weight. I hope more rides like Expedition Everest, Winjas and Thirteen crop up in the future, exploring ways of thrilling guests with elements of surprise and narrative telling amongst the visceral thrills which define roller coasters.

Now, a ride which really is a waste of everything.

Intimidator 305. =/

It was built on a false premise in the first place. If you're going to build a huge coaster... Make it huge? After the first drop, I305 is a medium-size coaster. What, exactly, is the point of it being that tall? The drop is also incredibly poor (but I only rode post-trims), but then again MF's drop ain't great either. Whilst I prefer I305 as a ride to Millenium Force, MF at least does what it says on the tin, and thrills riders with size. I305 would have been just as thrilling, perhaps even a better ride, were it smaller.

If Intamin really didn't predict issues with this ride, then there is something seriously, seriously wrong with the company. I don't doubt that the client likely pressured them into giving it as much height as possible for that relatively small footprint though.

Kings Dominion was my homepark for the summer and I never saw i305 with a queue you'd expect from a major coaster in opening year. Especially considering that, most of the time, it ran with one train after issues with it destroying it's wheels at an insane rate.

The saddest thing is, I305 was KD's opportunity to have an amaaaazing signature ride... and it's... well, ****.

Lost potential.

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
superman ultimate flight at six flags great adventure.

I found it dull boring and the lines are always 1-2 hours long. They should rip it down and add a flat ride or two.

Jer

Strata Poster
^Why? Superman is a fun ride, it's a little short but at least it's smooth and forceful, and it can be fun if you can manage a short wait.

I hate Hydra, I cant imagine then tearing it down because the GP love it, but I hate the ride so much. It's rough (Almost painful back row), it's force less and it's short. It's just a wrong B&M and it just seems to be a big waste of time to ride.

Snoo

The Legend
I echo Joey's sentiments about I-305. The ride is just.. meh.. and considering what it could have been and was for a short period? What a waste of a butt load of money.

I'd also say Disaster Transport and most ideas what SFMM has come up with aside from Tatsu and the renovation of X.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Any spinning wild mouse is the biggest time of time, money and space. I'd enjoy a park bench in a field over one of them.

andrus

Giga Poster
^Love your avatar/sig Ian!! :--D

I would consider Coaster Express at Parque Warner a big waste of space and money. Not that I've been on it in person but I haven't heard a singel good opinion of that ride. It takes up a huge amount of space and was most likely pretty expensive to build. Warner Bros could have made those investments in another B&M or an actually good wooden coaster from a reputable manufacturer! What a shame..

nealbie

CF Legend
Ian said:
Any spinning wild mouse is the biggest time of time, money and space. I'd enjoy a park bench in a field over one of them.

Haha! Your passionate HATRED of spinning wild mice is one of the best parts of being a coaster enthusiast! There's not many things that compare to going to a theme park with you that has one - true story! :lol:

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Staying on the wild mouse theme, I'd have to say Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom. It has some nice themed cars but that's about it although I'm glad I got the credit :D

Mike

Giga Poster
Surely the winner has to be Son of Beast?
It looks like it takes up a huuuge amount of space, cost a bomb, and the reviews of the ride speak for themselves.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Quite right Mike. Should have put that on my list.

jjjjustin12 said:
superman ultimate flight at six flags great adventure.
Fail

Lucy said:
Staying on the wild mouse theme, I'd have to say Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom. It has some nice themed cars but that's about it although I'm glad I got the credit :D
Was so pissed not to get the cred as it was closed for maintenance & don't know when we'll go back since it's the only one we missed. Obviously we didn't miss much & Ian would skip it anyway. :p

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A lot of people in this topic seem to be just treating it as a "coaster I hate" kind of thing, which we've done to death. I'm seeing it more as a topic to discuss missed opportunities.

andrus said:
I would consider Coaster Express at Parque Warner a big waste of space and money.

I just rode it a few days ago, and it's pretty **** yeah. I didn't find it particularly rough, but it's just such an incredibly dull coaster. Considering it was built as new with the park, meaning that they could have built basically anything in that huge space, then yeah it was a waste of space and money when you think about what could have been put there.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Vertigo at Walibi Belgium has to take the top spot here. Building it was a risky move, and while it could have been a great ride if it had worked, it didn't. Not for extended periods of time, at least.

Tim

Roller Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Vertigo at Walibi Belgium has to take the top spot here. Building it was a risky move, and while it could have been a great ride if it had worked, it didn't. Not for extended periods of time, at least.

Yeah, this has got to take it surely.
In fact, I think the only reason it hasn't been voted for yet is because everyone has forgotten about it already- it was there for such a short time and barely made an impact on anyone!

Sure, there are many famous fails... Son of Beast, Hypersonic, Windjammer, The Bat.
But they stood for a comparitevely long period of time and served a VAST amount more poeople.

The only other thing I can think of is that suspended one somewhere that couldn't finish the course. The story I used to hear is that they were looking at adding a live rail to power it but instead opted to pull down.
Where was that one? Did itrun at all?
That might take the edge off the Vertigo

A

Anonymous

I think x: no way out is a waste of space now as although it isn't an awful ride it does take up a lot of space that could be used really well for a dark/ scare attraction.