What's new

Biggest Failure

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^I'm sorry, but how are they failures? You may not like them, but both are popular rides and Typhoon gave Bobbejaanland a new looping coaster - which the GP love.

ignace

Mega Poster
elephant58 said:
^I'm sorry, but how are they failures? You may not like them, but both are popular rides and Typhoon gave Bobbejaanland a new looping coaster - which the GP love.

For the GP they probably aren't failures, but I don't know more than 5 coaster fanatics who actually claim to like Typhoon... DvH is another story, they tried to buy a coaster from a very young company who clearly wasn't able to make such a coaster. Efteling had to call in Intamin for the ride to open... DVH's story is comparable to Nurburgring Racer's, with the main difference that DVH opened...

A few other reasons why I think DVH fails:
-It doesn't even float on the water, but rides on a track, and it feels very forced.
-You can't see a thing in the dark ride section.
-Efteling always said that with DVH, they were building a waterride that could stay open in the winter. It hasn't been open for a day in the winter so far.
-and in the "normal" season, the ride brakes every 3-4 weeks.

But please don't take me wrong, I really love Efteling, it's still a top 5-favorite park of me :D.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I agree that Efteling shouldn't have gone with KumbaK, but ringracer is STILL not open and hasn't been for a couple of years now. Hollander wasn't too bad.
ignace said:
It doesn't even float on the water, but rides on a track, and it feels very forced.
It isn't designed for that. It is a waterCOASTER.
ignace said:
You can't see a thing in the dark ride section.
It is supposed to be like that. It is a dark section.

ignace said:
and in the "normal" season, the ride brakes every 3-4 weeks.
Do you mean break down? If you do, that's perfectly fine.

This coaster is not affected the park much, so it should not be considered a failure.

ignace

Mega Poster
elephant58 said:
I agree that Efteling shouldn't have gone with KumbaK, but ringracer is STILL not open and hasn't been for a couple of years now. Hollander wasn't too bad.

It isn't designed for that. It is a waterCOASTER.

It is supposed to be like that. It is a dark section.

Do you mean break down? If you do, that's perfectly fine.

This coaster is not affected the park much, so it should not be considered a failure.

Another of these WaterCOASTERS is Poseidon (or all the other mack ones, and the supersplashes). These rides are all able to float on water.

"Dark ride" isn't the same as "dark section". PotC would be a pretty worthless ride if you couldn't see a thing. Efteling has 2 of the best Darkrides in the world imo, it's a shame they couldn't keep up their level on their main attraction

I meant break down indeed, excuse me for the grammar :D.

It doesn't affect the park maybe, but it costed the park over 20 million euro's to get the damn thing operating (sometimes). And it isn't really a "woow" Attraction if you ask me. That's why I think Efteling Failed on DVH, if you think otherwise, I respect that :).

elephant58

Hyper Poster
The Mack watercoasters, I believe, still run on a track like Vliegende Hollander.

ignace said:
Dark ride" isn't the same as "dark section". PotC would be a pretty worthless ride if you couldn't see a thing. Efteling has 2 of the best Darkrides in the world imo, it's a shame they couldn't keep up their level on their main attraction
Sight is still supposed to be minimal. It all adds to the suspense.

ignace said:
It doesn't affect the park maybe, but it costed the park over 20 million euro's to get the damn thing operating (sometimes).
It is operating now and you claimed it breaks down every 3-4 weeks, which isn't alot.
ignace said:
And it isn't really a "woow" Attraction if you ask me.
It is supposed to be a family-friendly attraction - not a super-unique massive thrill machine.
ignace said:
That's why I think Efteling Failed on DVH, if you think otherwise, I respect that
Yes, I do disagree completely, but I respect your opinion aswell.

ignace

Mega Poster
elephant58 said:
The Mack watercoasters, I believe, still run on a track like Vliegende Hollander.

I believe you never had a chance of riding Poseidon or a supersplash :)? after leaving the coaster track, it flows free on the water, just like a dark water ride like PotC or Fata morgana ;).

It isn't meant as a thrill ride, ok, but then again: even a supersplash, Mack watercoaster or even a decent flume delivers more fun above DVH imo.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^And how does it engage the track again? If flowing free, it would be difficult to align the wheels correctly onto the track. Divertical's pre-lift section is similar to a dark water ride, but there is track underneath, as I think there is on a Mack. About the thrill thing, it depends on your view of fun - thrillseekers may find it dull, while children will probably find it rather entertaining.

ignace

Mega Poster
elephant58 said:
^And how does it engage the track again? If flowing free, it would be difficult to align the wheels correctly onto the track. Divertical's pre-lift section is similar to a dark water ride, but there is track underneath, as I think there is on a Mack. About the thrill thing, it depends on your view of fun - thrillseekers may find it dull, while children will probably find it rather entertaining.
http://rcdb.com/2928.htm?p=19106

A Mack, as you can see, has no track at all. I don't know what system Intamin uses, since I never rode one of these.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How many Mack water coasters have you actually seen in person or been on? You keep saying you "think" and insisting on the fact that they run on a track the whole way round (they don't) against someone who has actually seen and ridden some. It's ok to make an incorrect assumption, but to keep insisting on it when someone who actually knows a bit more on the subject is just going to make you look daft.

These were taken before the coaster opened, so the water level is very low. They're not the best pictures, they weren't taken with the trough as the main focus, but clearly no track.

DSC08122.jpg

DSC08140-1.jpg

Can we get back on topic now?

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Vertigo and Ring Racer are the biggest failures by a mile. And the Intamin Half-Pipe in Japan that never opened. That is very lolworthy.

http://rcdb.com/3383.htm

The Bat, X's problems, and other similar stuff may have been rubbish, but at least they led onto other things that weren't completely awful.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I don't think a failed brake run merits biggest failure for Bizarro - which happened in its first year of operation. The lap bar death incident occurred three years later, but was due to operator error.

Intamin has seen bigger screw ups, such as Kingda Ka and TTD's early problems with launch cable fray.

ignace

Mega Poster
What do you guys think, can Monster (Walygator) be seen as a failure? It is a awesome coaster yes, but it is the main reason for the bankruptcy of the park a few weeks ago.

bmac

Giga Poster
Hyde244 said:
Intamin has seen bigger screw ups, such as Kingda Ka and TTD's early problems with launch cable fray.

Shoot the Rapids, Maverick, Intimidator 305, and I guess you can throw Skyrush in there, too.

Although I highly agree that Ring Racer has to be the one of the biggest blunders this century, almost on par with Son of Beast.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^At least people got to ride Son of Beast. Granted, it's been ripped down while Ring Racer might still open. Until that happens though, I'd say it's more of a **** up than Son of Beast.

Jer

Strata Poster
^^

In what way would Skyrush be considered a failure? it's an excellent ride, and despite some off restraints that doesnt make it a failure.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Difficult to measure, but Infusion?

Opened with much hype, first big new ride in absolutely ages in Blackpool, and yet doesn't seem to have done much for them in terms of gate figures (obviously other reasons included).

Ignore all the PR damage it caused (and still does, don't you dare mention Southport on a BPB forum lul), but it was a huge investment which has been a rarity Nickelodeon Land aside.