What's new

Biggest Failure

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
dropthefloor93 said:
What's wrong with the first one? the second one was a sustenance disaster, but what is wrong with the first one? It looks awesome.

Apparently - conny land's cobra was seriously painful at first - had a good deal of retracking work!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
^ There must have been more to it than that though. They wouldn't just give up after investing millions, for 11 days worth of operation. Wouldn't be surprised if Doppelmayr threw in the towel too.

dropthefloor93 said:
Tom G said:
Jubilee Odyssey.
WTF? how?

I wouldn't go as far as saying its the biggest failure, but Vekoma did mess up with the design.

You just need to look at the effect that Jubilee Odyssey had on Fantasy Island. Before the ride, we were seeing frequent, decent investment and the park was developing at an impressive rate. After Jubilee Odyssey, the park has been transformed, and any attraction that has that effect on a park should be deemed a failure. Jubilee Odyssey should have been much, much more.

My vote goes to this.

Light Magic

[Took me ages to find any evidence that this existed, shows how good Disney are at covering their failures]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8IlR71I8M[/youtube]

Nic

Strata Poster
I agree with Vertigo

However, I still think the biggest failure was Duinrell's Batflyer that never was. Even worse than Vertigo, it NEVER opened. According to RCDB, the major issue was that it kept stalling/valleying and couldn't consistently make a full circuit. According to Marten at Milky Way, it was also apparently pulling +4G in places. Actually, from what he said, it sounds like Caripro should be in this topic generally! Of the 9 coasters they built, 4 are now closed. The Duinrell coaster was constructed in the same year (1997) as Clone Zone. Again, according to Marten, they needed to completely re-model parts of CZ's track as it had been made totally wrong and just wouldn't fit, they had to dig a trench for it to go through as the cars hang A LOT lower than the original plans, had to replace the gears in the trains as they kept snapping, and they had to redesign and replace all of the chain that powers it as the original one kept breaking. However, they slogged it out and eventually made it work. Duinrell, however, after looking at many options (including powering it) had to give up. The cars were sold on, and the track went direct to the scrap heap. That's one hell of a failure if you ask me

Looking at the original post...
dropthefloor93 said:
Which ride was the biggest failure. Take into effect publicity, rideabliliy, and financial issues.
I think Th13teen deserves an honourable mention. Now, I actually really quite enjoy the ride. I know a lot of people slag it off, but if you sit at the back, it's a hell of a lot of fun to ride. The massive cock up was the theme and marketing. It's a family coaster. Nothing more, nothing less. Why, then, did they feel the need to market it as "the ultimate thrill ride", and to give it a spooky horror type theme?! Kids who would love it are too scared to go on, and teenagers (and, lets face it, enthusiasts) came off bitterly disappointed at how tame it is. Way to go Morwenna.

Ben

CF Legend
Well I want to say what I think, but if I say anything other than Ring Racer I'll get yelled at <//3

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Re: Biggest Failure

Ben said:
Well I want to say what I think, but if I say anything other than Ring Racer I'll get yelled at <//3

Oo...say it >:3

Switching between the hideouts'...

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
After filming a commercial on Gauntlet/Arkham Asylum... That ride is **** horrible. The park overhypes it, its slow, boring, and PAINFUL.

cookie

Giga Poster
Vertigo - Delayed for a year, only managed to run for 11 days before closing again and got eventually scrapped. Manufacturer never made another coaster again. Ouch.

Son Of Beast - I think we all know why.

Cobra (Tivoli Friheden) - Crashed a mere week after opening and was a major PR disaster for the park, but since re-opening seems to be running without major problems.

Bat (Kings Island) - A massive design failure in every way you put it.

Orphan Rocker - Built in 1988 but with no opening day in sight. At least the other big disasters managed to operate.

Rocket Rods + Superstar Limo - True testaments to the cheapness that plagued the late Eisner era.

Hard Rock Park - Need I say more?

Taxi

Mega Poster
Ring Racer.

They should just let intamin redo the launch section. But it still wouldn't work... :lol:

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Taxi said:
Ring Racer.

They should just let intamin redo the launch section. But it still wouldn't work... :lol:

Their launches are like the most reliable part! The train, however, would probably break and derail the first launch, not to mention be uncomfortable. :lol:

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^Considering the implications of the ride's technical problems, X is quite a contender. Oddly enough, Doppelmayr, the company behind the ill- fated vertigo are still in business according to rcdb!

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ Doppelmayr is the biggest manufacturer in ski lifts bussiness. In last 10 years almost every each one of the ski lifts opened in Austria, Slovenia, Italy... were made by them.
But I don't really believe they'll build coasters ever again

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The Six Flags ride swap program immediately springs to mind.

Millions of dollars spent erecting, tearing down, and transporting mediocre rides in between the parks. It led to a logistical nightmare for park planning, as well as create legacy issues for parks; if a ride is popular, you want to keep it at the park for years and years. Instead, rides were relocated and were not able to build up a following.

Taxi

Mega Poster
Well, Six Flags is semi-recovering from a financial crisis. Relocating a Boomerang and selling it as a hot & new thing is evidence enough. Yet they can spend millions for a gimmick like "Full Throttle" I think they're minds have gone bankrupt too. :lol:

Another big failure: Guage Lake adding tons of new coasters and then not being able to maintain they're over-development-----then being forced to sell.
that's some CFO :drinking: