What's new

Best/Worst rollercoaster Elements

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
What elements on a rollercoaster are the most fun? What are either not very exciting or overused?
To start off, any slow inline/heartline twist is my favorite especially at slow speed, as in Hydra.

Jer

Strata Poster
Funny because I strongly dislike the Jo-Jo roll on hydra, I think the train is going to too slow though the element and it's just borderline painful

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Zero-G Roll, on The Hulk <3

Makes me melt just looking at it. I'd say that Corkscrews are over used, I don't care for them too much. Or the Heartline Roll on Colossus.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Anything with hangtime. So the any kind of slow inline or heartline twist :lol: Particular monster was Hydra :p

Some zero-g rolls are great (The Swarm and Shockwave at DMP), but most just don't do it. Oddly, the corkscrews on Kahn give a weird zero-g-esque feeling which are lush.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ The Corkscrews on Khan are REALLY intense I thought. The 0G on Khan is actually heavenly.

I'm the sam, I don't like hangtime really. It's not enjoyable, Saw, prime example, it actually feels painful.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That entire section of Kahn (when we went) was just really odd. You got the most bizarre of forces all over the place. We got floater in the Corkscrews (and high g), I don't remember the zero-g. The ride was just a constant barrage of wildly varying forces, which is why I rate it as a brilliant coaster.

Josh73

Giga Poster
Zero-Gs are just completly amazing, no beating them, especially Hulk's, but worst? I don't really know...

Kebab

Giga Poster
Zero-G's are an amazing element, I know it's been mentioned a few times above, but Dragon Khan shows how to Zero-G! Vertical loops are equally as great when on inverts (e.g. Nemesis) or any other coaster that really plummets out their forces. And as this topic is on about 'elements', then I guess I should add Air-time hills to the collection.

The least exciting element on any rollercoaster is a brake run, but obviously that doesn't count so I'll say over-banked turns.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The vertical loop does little for me. I like sidewinders, inline twists/corkscrews and airtime hills.

In terms of a specific element, Nemesis' helix is still the best.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Cobra rolls are pretty vile, I've yet to ride a fun one. They look cool, but to ride they're just really uncomfortable and throw you around. This is a particularly harrowing experience if you are of a shorter physique and your ears don't quite clear the restraints. Ow.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Zero-g roll`s, inline twist`s would probably be my favorite.
Slow vertical lifts would be least favorite, like Saw and G-Force, I always seem to be gasping for air on them. :s

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Me and my brother always say that the only good thing about Cobra Rolls is walking through them. I don't know why people are saying Swarm's drop is the best, it's almost forceless. I'm not sure about particularly good ones. The second hill on Blue Streak at Cedar Point is pretty ridiculous, if we're talking about specific ones then maybe that.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
^Yea, those are pretty awesome as well. I like the Immelmann on Sheikra better than its drop though.

Cobra Rolls are pretty bad especially the Vekoma ones. B&M's aren't too bad though.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
What about unique elements? Has anybody experienced Drachen Fire? I think that D.F.'s cutback and wraparound corkscrew would be brilliant if done well...I didn't have the chance to go on it ever :(