What's new

B&M Hypers; for or against?

stuartredman1

Roller Poster
I just rode nitro yesterday. It was my first B&M hyper and compared to the Intamin hypers I have ridden it had plenty of airtime and was very comfortable. It also had a good amount of g's crushing me into my seat. I have a feeling my opinion will change when I ride I305 though.

Mike

Giga Poster
The first drop on Raging Bull is amongst the best I've ever been on.
The airtime from top to bottom is just awesome!...

And then the trim brakes quickly kick into effect, and effectively STOP the ride. Seriously, what's the point in building a huge hyper coaster, and then slowing it so it can barely crawl over each airtime hill? Stoooopid! :x

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
What's there to be against?

Solid steel coasters, good drops and elements, good airtime.

Sounds like a good lineup to me!

I've ridden Diamondback and Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia. Both were superb rides.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yay for resurrecting dead topics now that I have something more to add.

I've ridden a few of them now, and am quite surprised how such similar rides can offer such different experiences.

1. Behemoth - Loved it. Strong airtime in both the back and front, though I thought the front seats had the edge, which I wouldn't have expected given my usual preference for back-seat rides. You're up out of your seat as the train in cresting the hill, and stay there until it hits the bottom. Great stuff.

2. Apollo's Chariot - Maybe it's because you can't see the layout at easily as the others, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. Back row is definitely better though

3. Hollywood Dream - Probably need to ride it again to be fair, but I can't imagine that I'd stop enjoying it

4. Nitro - Wasn't impressed at the back. Really enjoyed it at the front, though the airtime seeemed stronger on the other three above

5. Diamondback - Yeah, I've put Nitro and AC above Diamondback. Airtime was really weak, and it rattles. Not good considering how new it is. Felt the trims hitting on most/all hills. Not impressed at all

6. Intimidator - Waste of **** ing space

How can they have it soooooo right with Behemoth and sooooo wrong with Diamondback and Intimidator when they're all pretty much the same thing, built at pretty much the same time?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I have been on:

Diamondback - I love the ride. It has good pacing and the layout flows. The airtime is decent in my opinion as well.

Apollo's Chariot - It was a sleeper hit when I first rode it. The ride has a great layout and is chock full of airtime.

Behemoth - The ride is awesome and has great airtime and positive forces. The killer is the mid course brakes and the lead in to the helix; it just kills the pacing for me.

Goliath (La Ronde) - The ride has a decent layout with good airtime and nice pacing(the lack of mid course brakes helps).

Nitro - Nitro has decent air and an awesome helix, but nothing really stands out as awesome like the others.

Intimidator - How did they screw this up. The airtime is there, but it's not as strong as the first three in my list and all the turns are absolutely forceless.

Raging Bull - What the hell. The ride has a great layout, but there is a trim brake on every hill and it bites hard. The ride could be awesome, but instead, it's crap.

Error

Strata Poster
Alright, I posted here waaaaaay back on page one, so I think i need to add them up:

Diamondback-This is likely my favorite airtime machine, since it can scare me sometimes. I love floater over ejector and never seem to find it rough.

Raging Bull-This, on the other hand, showed me how a good looking ride can be turned bad. I remember riding the bus and seeing this, and thinking it'd be awesome. (I thought that about many SFGAm rides...2 delivered...) Instead, I got one of the biggest disappointments ever.

Goliath-There is a reason I put this here: I honestly don't remember it. I rode it once two years ago, but remembered it being good. I really need to ride this again soon.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Joey said:
Is it just me or does anyone else think the rattle you get at the base of their drops, with Nitro in particular, is just... well, awful?

No one seems to really know what I'm talking about, or if they do the rattling doesn't seem to bother them much. The only ones that I didn't notice doing it at all were Intimidator and Silver Star. Diamonback and Goliath did it fairly badly and Apollo didn't do it enough to upset me. But Nitro... Made it unrideable for me.

The only B&M I have ever been on that rattled was Hydra, which isn't even a hyper. I honestly thought it was going to shake something loose in my body. The rest have been fine for me though, smooth as glass.

Anyways, I'm kind of against B&M hypers. They're not bad rides, but they're not great either. They've kind of turned into a high-end Vekoma SLC. Every B&M hyper seems to be a bunch of strung together floater camelbacks and they're the kind of ride a park orders when they need to put in a new coaster but doesn't have the money or space to have some custom designed Intamin. They're also usually very reliable. I guess in that sense they're a good thing, but as an enthusiast, I'm not really a huge fan of them. I wouldn't go to Great Adventure to see Nitro when S:RoS is practically in my backyard.