What's new

B&M Hypers; for or against?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Right, as you may have noticed there is a definite split on this site on B&M Hypers.

Some, think they lack any real airtime and would rather an Intamin.
Some, think they posses strong airtime and adore them.

I want to know peoples opinions (Yes, none of this, I've ridden more coasters than you so I'm far superior, rubbish) on them, as I have yet to ride one, and want to see the case for each side.

Ben

CF Legend
I'd probably say they're my favourite coaster type.

In fact, I can't think of one I prefer, so, yep.

The airtime is beautiful and floaty, and the restraints are lush. I urge people who have only ridden Silver Star to get out to some of the others, by the sounds of it Star is miles behind the rest (I'll tell you for sure later in the year though...)

Mike

Giga Poster
I think I've only done Apollo's and Nitro, and they were both very decent rides.
Maybe not the most airtime that they could potentially give, but this is easily made up for by the comfort of the restraints and ride.

Intamin, if going by the restraints they had on their Supermen and El Toro last year (compared to B&M's restraints), suck.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Having only been on Silver Star it's really hard to comment (as SFMM's Goliath isn't a true B&M)...

Maybe I'll know more after America this year, what with Diamondback and Apollo's Chariot...

Based on Silver Star however, Expedition G-Force is in a different league...

Harvey

Hyper Poster
I have ridden three, and I wasn't blown away with any of them, Silver Star was the poorest of the bunch though.

In my opinion and experience they simply do not stand up to their Intamin rivals in terms of enjoyment and ride quality.

Ali

Mega Poster
The only one I have ridden (Nitro) I thought was a high quality coaster with better than average airtime and great speed. So yes, I like them!

Ketchup

Mega Poster
I've done S:ROS at SFNE on the Intamin side and Apollo's Chariot and Nitro on the B&M side.

S:ROS is my #1, whilst the two B&M's don't even reach my top 10. Apollo's Chariot was a fun ride but nothing astonishing and Nitro was just dull. The one thing the B&M's do much better however is the restraints. But that's it.

Error

Strata Poster
I don't remember Goliath all too well, and I only rode it once. But I do recall it being very comfy and having some floater.

However Maverick kicks it's ass still.

I'm still low on the CC, so my opinion isn't too strong. Need to ride more of both sides (I'll have Raging Bull this summer under my belt, along with Diamondback).

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
Error said:
I don't remember Goliath all too well, and I only rode it once. But I do recall it being very comfy and having some floater.

Some floater? What seat were you riding in? Every time I ride it, I get more airtime than most Intamins.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'll tell you in two months time for sure :)

Is it simply that there's a difference in the airtime. Intamin is more ejector, and B&M pure floater? I don't know for sure, so it's a serious question.

The Intamins I've been on have all had ejector (except for the camel back on Colossus which is lovely floater when it's running right). If the Intamin airtime machines all have that Colossus camel back airtime, then I can see why people love them. If they all have that ejector air I'm used to off Intamin - then I don't understand it :)

Floater is something we just don't get on coasters in the UK. I think this is why you generally find UK riders love the B&M's. They're doing something we just don't have any real experience of. Ejector we have coming out of our ears. Sometimes it's lovely just to have a change.

I don't know if anyone can help enlighten me before I experience for myself? :)

Ben

CF Legend
Error said:
However Maverick kicks it's ass still.

Maverick is also a totally different ride type doing something totally different...

Furie said:
Is it simply that there's a difference in the airtime. Intamin is more ejector, and B&M pure floater? I don't know for sure, so it's a serious question.

Essentially, yes. The rest of the ride on Intamins tends to be more "aggressive" as well though. I personally think B&M megas feel a lot more "natural". They feel like you're taking the path you would want to if you were "free". Intamins just feel like you're on a coaster being yanked up and down and smashed into awful restraints :p

If the Intamin airtime machines all have that Colossus camel back airtime, then I can see why people love them. If they all have that ejector air I'm used to off Intamin - then I don't understand it

Now, I haven't actually been on Balder, but, I imagine that's the sort of airtime we're talking about here. It's NOT Colossus' hill airtime. That's not even what the B&M hills are like, but, it's closer to them than Intamin's. I can't think of anything in the UK that really gives proper Intamin Ejector style airtime, Rita doesn't really... the first hill does I guess, but, the Megas are generally stronger. Actually, Ultimate's third hill does in the front <3 But, we don't really have anything that directly compares. Maybe because we don't have anything with 8 or 9 cars performing that sort of hill?

I guess Speed might work because it's a similar sort of strength, but, Saw's hill is NOTHING like a Mega's, so, I don't know.

Floater is something we just don't get on coasters in the UK.

Now this, I have to disagree with. I think we've got quite a bit of floater really... But, different issue really.

So, Phil, IF I was going to go off what you seem to like in a coaster, I think you'll prefer the B&M offerings. But, one can never really say.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I have't ridden many of either - but if someone would like to pay me to go ridee all the american ones, i'll tell you my thoughts in a few months

marc

CF Legend
Have only really done EGF and Silver Star.

I liked EGF for the drop not the airtime as I find it boring. It did not eject though it was smooth and ok. But after the 1st and 2nd hill that was it for me, I wanted something else.

Silver Star was just a boring coaster. The drop was pants and the floater time was just that really. Its good at what it does but again its just not my thing. But the corners at the end were good :)

I prefer the train on Silver Star and the look of it.

For me though it seems Intamin want to give you the same type of airtime on a steel coaster that you would get on a woodie. Where as B&M want to give you something totally different.

B&M seem to trim to give you floater time, Intamin trim to stop you going to fast and hurting yourself, thats how it seems anyway.

EGF won for me simply due to the drop not actually what it was meant to do lol so I am still undersided. I need to do more of each type though before I say for sure.

And as I said neither are my type of coaster really.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
What I found intriguing on Goliath at SFoG was the dramatic differences in the ride pending on where you sat.

Our first ride we rode the 3rd row from the front, which offered some of the best floater air I have ever had. Aside from the floater, the whole ride seemed rather sub par and mediocre.

A second ride in the last row proved why Goliath is regarded as the best of the Original B&M Hypers.

Absolute ejector air, great transitions, perfect first and second drops, ejector air, ejector air, and more ejector air!

I have yet to ride an Intamin Mega, but Goliath was simply one hell of a ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
noted and understood Ben - almost what I was thinking :)

Ben said:
So, Phil, IF I was going to go off what you seem to like in a coaster, I think you'll prefer the B&M offerings. But, one can never really say.

If I'm getting ejector, I like to leave my seat. I want my arse three inches off vinyl! I do not, ever, ever, ever want to be pinned and put through ejector. It's why I dislike Rita AND Speed!

Fortunately, the Balder restraints let you leave the seat quite happily, so they're good :)

However, I never really got floater off Balder. It was just too strong to be floater, and too soft to be real ejector. Not a happy place for me :)

It'll be good to get to try out a range of these ride types though and nail it - but from descriptions so far, the B&M's are more likely to do it for me than Intamin - but I never say never :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
You don't really leave your seat on B&M airtime...hence why I dislike it.

That's fine by me, as you can get some great willy lift without leaving your seat. It's if you try to leave your seat but the restraint stops you (Euro-Fighter and the Intamin OTSR) that I have an issue.

Everything else is really dependent on the actual ride really :)

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, apart from the fact on B&Ms you do leave your seat, just gently. Unless you sit in the dead middle of course...

And Phil, you really won't like the Intamin Megas if you like to leave your seat, they're always very, very pin-happy. So all you do is smash into a restraint that's already crushing you. Fun? Not... really...

marc

CF Legend
In Germany it was the other way round, EGF I was not pinned but on Silver Star I was. I still left my seat on both though.

What was funny on Silver Star was the 0 G feeling and money left your pocket if it was not secure.

Maybe the pinning on Silver Star is what ruined it for me.