What's new

B&M Hypers; for or against?

spicy

Giga Poster
I've never ridden a B&M hyper or Intamin mega but by the sounds of it I would be an Intamin mega fan as I like the Rita style airtime which must be similar to that on a mega.

Not saying I wouldn't like a hyper though, they also sound awesome. If they are anything like a dive machine's airtime then that would be the best.

Snoo

The Legend
Meh.. honestly, for all the people complaining about getting pinned.. it really doesn't affect the ride IMO. Ejector is ejector, whether your restraint is loose or tight.

Of course, this does vary from person to person, body type to body type. Ben isn't a large fellow and my legs are tree trunks, so it all depends on YOU tbh.

Ben said:
So all you do is smash into a restraint that's already crushing you. Fun? Not... really...

Funny, I've never had that problem.. even with the pin happy Intamin T-bar.

Granted, you can be pinned on anything, but the worst pinning I've ever received was on a B&M Hyper.

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
Really depends on what type of ride. Intamin has the best out and back (MF kind of), and B&M have the better twisted layouts (Raging Bull). So depends. Ill go for Raging Bull on this one because of the severe forces.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It really does Snoo :) (I know this is a little off topic, but part of what seems to be the problem with the B&M's is the type of airtime it does (or doesn't) give you :) )

Rita pins you, so does Speed. The effect is not like you trying to leave your seat and be thrown from the train - its more like an elephant has just sat on your lap. You just feel crushed against the restraints.

I dislike that feeling - some people love it.

When you get ejector on looser bars (you get good ejector on Thunder Coaster and the Grand National), you can come several inches out of your seat before you hit the restraint. The restraint then drags you down with the train. That tiny amount of freedom from seat and restraint pulls at your gut in a fantastic way. It's terrifying and heartstopping. As the restraint grabs, you still feel free as your arse wont be back on the seat until the hill levels out. When pinned on these coasters, the rides lose a massive amount of their appeal.

However, I've never experienced ejector air as powerful as Rita's and Speed's on a loose coaster.

Colossus pins you, but the speed and curve of the camel back give a lovely little bit of floater. It's very soft and very gentle. Just a tad of willy lift. If an entire coaster just had that (maybe a tad stronger), then it would be a happy coaster for me. If it gets too strong, then I don't want to be pinned at all, it just plain hurts me.

The hint as to what ejector means is in it's name - Ejector - to eject. If you're stuck in your seat, it's failing to eject you and therefore failing to be good :p

Snoo

The Legend
furie said:
The hint as to what ejector means is in it's name - Ejector - to eject. If you're stuck in your seat, it's failing to eject you and therefore failing to be good

I love the feeling of ejector because it throws you, all of you, no matter how tight your restraint is, out of your seat (whether it be an inch or a foot). El Toro has this feeling to the fullest, as does S:RoS/Bizarro.

Let me finish this in a little.. my cpu is messing up..

As demonstrated by our friends who came over here last summer, some may love it.. some may not.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't disagree about El Toro or SROS - both have lappies. Even if your arse stays, at least your upper body can stretch out and you feel ejected. Rita and Speed, your upper body is pinned (if you're a tall beefcake like myself :) ) so it's just very unpleasant.

We're talking different restraints really Snoo I think. Plus, we're comparing apples and oranges. I'll keep out of this until I've actually tried out some goodies - however, I think El Toro won't be massively different to Balder in terms of restraint (just airtime).

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah.. you'd need to hop on the T-Bars to truly know the feeling. OTSR's and Horsecollars simply don't give the same feeling.. especially when we are talking about a coaster who isn't made for airtime (Rita) and a coaster from a completely different company (Speed).

From what I've heard, Balder's air is similar.. as of course all Intamin Prefabs are.. but the rides are opposites in terms of layouts.. ect ect. I'm sure you already knew that tho.. :p

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I've only ridden one, Raging Bull, and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though it's apparently the weakest of the bunch.

The air-time is weaker than Intamin's but it lasts longer and it's more graceful. You kinda slowly lift out, touch the restraint then slowly go back into your seat (I had a loose restraint) and they're super comfy.

So yeah, they're not incredibly powerful, but they're good fun.

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
furie said:
I'll tell you in two months time for sure :)
I don't know if anyone can help enlighten me before I experience for myself? :)

Furie, all I got to say is keep your hands up to experience the most floater (well it makes you feel like you could fly out of the restraints), and sit ether in the front, or the dead middle of the train (the front can get you a ton of airtime, the middle will float you because the train doesn't feel like it is getting pulled over the camel back or waiting for the rest of the cars to catch up, and the back will give you the most speed but you sacrifice (what to me feels like) a lot of airtime because you get "pulled over" which can be great in some instances but not most.

Sorry Im long winded

Jake

Strata Poster
For.

I've done 3 and they were all really fantastic rides. Sure, they're not the most forceful things out there, but they're a LOT of fun and have some nice airtime. They're extremely re-ridable too!

I've only done Nitro and Behemoth (hopefully Diamondback soon enough), but I actually really like them. They don't have the most amazing airtime ever, but they're still huge rushes for me, considering how tall and fast they are.

Overall, they're rides that'll usually get to maybe the mid-section of my top ten, no higher. The layouts are simple, the airtime isn't amazing, but the first drop and lift hill freaks me out, end of!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It depends on the ride. Raging Bull was a bore. I heard so much about it and when I went on it, I found it overtrimmed and unnecessarily slow. It was quite a disappointment. Luckily I rode Goliath later that year, which was miles better; pacing-wise and airtime-wise.

As for Intamin, I've only been on Millennium Force, and we all know how that goes. This year I'll be going on S:RoS at SFA, which I haven't heard much about. Maybe that will change my opinion about B&M. I'll just have to find out in August.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've only tried the "mini" versions from each company, Hollywood Dream and Kawasemi, but from how the bigger rides are described they seem to offer the same as the bigger models.

I loved both to be honest. I preferred Kawasemi for the ejector, but Hollywood Dream rode beautifully. You still come out of your seat, but it's in a very smooth, controlled motion. I think it was Ben who described it feeling "natural" and I have to agree with that.

I can't understand the floater air=no air argument at all. You're still up and out of your seat, and that's what airtime is, right? It just doesn't happen so suddenly.

Like I said, I'm only going from Hollywood Dream, and maybe that's stronger than others, but I personally really enjoyed the airtime on that, almost as much as I like ejector air. I don't see why we have to "choose" one and can't enjoy both on their different merits.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That's exactly what people say about Behemoth. It's not as sudden, and it's sustained for so long.

From riding Goliath at La Ronde, it sounds similar to Hollywood Dream force-wise.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Ask me again after I ride Diamondback on Saturday.

(I have been on all of the B&M hypers, and most, if not all, of the Intamin hypers.)

I was joking, but Intamin doesn't have the best track record with on ride fatalities.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^Really?

I personally like both SFA and Darien Lake's version of RoS. I give Darien the slight edge for the overwater bits, but both are still fine rides.

Ben

CF Legend
I really liked Darien Lake's, it actually felt maintained and ran a LOT faster than the version at SFA when I rode them (about a week apart, last year).

It had airtime and force. SFA's had nothing. At all. Of anything. Other than sucking. Which it had in vast quantities.