What's new

Another Crappy Publicity Stunt From Thorpe

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's like the PR equivalent of teabagging. You wake up one morning and your world is full of bollocks!

Ollie

CF Legend
I know it doesn't say they've had to physically move the ride in the article, but reading comments on Thorpe's Facebook page everyone who's posted about it seems to be asking where it's being moved to and what they're going to do with the site it's on now. So it isn't just me who misread the article. lol :p

Mark

Strata Poster
Well I managed to read it and understand pretty easily.

Its not necessarily Thorpes fault if people aren't reading the stuff properly...

In general I would love to say i'm disgusted by their audacity to keep coming up with this ridiculous PR stunts but to be totally honest i'm actually rather non-plussed by it all. These silly PR stunts are what Merlin does to market everything nowadays. For me the impact is a little lost because straight away. I think, meh, another PR stunt for a ride that I already knew was coming. But then the 'advert' isn't aimed at me, it's aimed at those who didn't know something was coming.

In one way, we should be pleased that they are making the most out of the press and media. It draws more people into the park and therefore more money made and in turn better investments in the park, well, better investments in Legoland anyways. :p

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I just wish they'd do ones that didn't look like they were thought up by a 4 year old...

Why am I doing engineering when marketing for Merlin just seems like piss?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think the problem is this Mark.

They talk about Monk's walk and whatever other bollocks and how they've dug down 15 metres to start construction, found the monks and stuff and then moved to a different site.

The problem is simply that a lot of people are aware the ride is under construction (and there are photos of it built). While when you re-read it, you realise they never started construction, it's quite misleading. If anyone has been following construction (like me) and you know that until this was released there was only ever one place it was going - you immediately think "they've moved it to a second location". Then the article stops making sense. If they'd released this "problem" before they had almost finished construction on the site that's been the ONLY site so far, then it wouldn't have been so confusing.

If that makes sense? They're telling lies and it's confusing people who know what's actually going on :)

Mark

Strata Poster
Yeah, of course. For 'enthusiasts' it is just really poor considering we know full well planning permission was never even entered for the site, let alone digging.

What I was trying to get at (I think I mentioned it in the previous post) was the masses that don't follow the construction of these things will be totally unaware and therefore it would make no real difference...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think a lot of people who aren't enthusiasts are still aware. Thorpe has a lot of fans with it being so urban, and a lot of locals who know a lot about what's going on there...

Mark

Strata Poster
True true.

Nevertheless, once again, its got us all talking, whether in a positive or negative way, it's all good to them.

Am I anymore interested in the ride because of this campaign... Not really but yet here I am, talking about the 'campaign'

Dave

CF Legend
I never knew burial sites exists in old quarries. Not like it's been dug up before....

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It definitely created awareness. As with any other theme park news, several work colleagues cornered me by the kettle today and said "I see that Thorpe Park was built on an ancient burial ground!"

My reply was "Yeah. Exciting isn't it!"

Not one of the five people who mentioned it to me asked about the ride or said they planned to visit.

I agree that it gets people talking, but it doesn't make people want to visit the the park for the ride. I'd like to see something that informs people of the ride and makes them excited - just like Saw's PR did.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Haha my Mum told me she read this in the paper, and was like, 'why would they move a ride for a ghost sighting?'. It made me spit out my tea! Then I had to explain to her it was total bollocks! :roll: :roll:

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well lets just thank our lucky stars that they didn't promote it as the worlds scariest water ride that most people would probably turn into trumpets due to the sheer fear factor...

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
So the stunts continue after the departure of Morwenna.

I know everyone moans but I like these stories, gives me a little chuckle at a massive corporations desperate attempt to get people to talk about it. They are funny.

At first I thought dark, hooded, adult characters loitering around the childrens area of Thorpe, sounds about right.

The day they ACTUALLY relocate a ride and publish a story like this we know they're something seriously wrong.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Well, yeah, people are talking about it. As I said previously, several people at work have said "I see that Thorpe Park is haunted! without actually asking about the ride or deciding to visit this season.

The beef I have about this stunt is that, yes it creates chat, but it doesn't inform anybody of the ride or make people want to visit Thorpe to ride it. I'm not talking about enthusiasts here, I'm talking about regular joes. Anyway, what do I know. I work with traffic lights, not in marketing.

Gazza

Giga Poster
This story actually got printed in the Brisbane Mx (A commuter newspaper similar to the London Metro) they've certainly gotten it out there.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
As I was reading the link in the first post in this topic, I just happened to be listening to Ghostbusters by coincedence.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Gazza said:
This story actually got printed in the Brisbane Mx (A commuter newspaper similar to the London Metro) they've certainly gotten it out there.

Oh dear...

That says quite a lot about international media...

Why it'd need to go over to Australia though, slightly far to go for a water-slide?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Gazza said:

Page 12: Major flooding.
Page 8: Hurricane the size of Europe
Page 6: Killer forest fires
Page 1: Forp is Hornted!

Priorities - they have none.