What's new

Another Crappy Publicity Stunt From Thorpe

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, you said you "think" he is. Plus you didn't then expand on that by detailing that he is a real person involved in paranormal activities (John Smith is a real person, but not every John Smith is a pint of beer).

Also, I didn't read that because I was bored by that point :lol:

wash

Mega Poster
I wonder who's laughing harder, us or the marketing people that come up with this crap. You know, I think I might have found my dream job...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
For as much as we mock Thorpe for these awful stunts - I'd much rather see glossy adverts in papers and on TV - but the last two crap publicity stunts have made the news.

The BO one and now this one have made it to the media, so that's free publicity for the park without hardly raising a finger.

These stunts, and therefore the park's publicity, only makes it to the mainstream if it's discussed. So my advice for anybody who thinks these stunts are crap is don't bloody talk about it! For as long as this system works, we'll see more and more **** like this!

As weak as these stunts are, I do admire the marketing team for being bale to create publicity without spending oodles of cash and time! So yeah, I couldn't give two hoots about the recent publicity so this post is to applause the marketing team and frown upon those who give it more than a two seconds thought!

The Jigsaw voiced ads I've heard on the radio recently have been quite good imo so in a way it all balances out.

jokerman

Giga Poster
OMG, Thorpe is haunted!!!

Seriously, this is boring now. I don't even care about these stunts enough now to be angry with Merlin.

Slash

Giga Poster
You know what the problem is? Thorpe's arse has been pulled so far open by the management that **** like this can't stop falling out.

Ok its a little humorous but God its more cringeworthy.

Rush

Giga Poster
Saw managed to stay open all day yesterday with no breakdowns at all.

Maybe there is a curse! :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
Urgh. Publicity stunts like this really annoy me. Why don't they ever do a story about it that's true for once?
They're even more stupid as they've been posting construction updates on on their Facebook page so everyone will know it hasn't been moved at all.

alexr

Hyper Poster
That's probably not true , another publicity stunt to make people aware of the new ride?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ollie said:
Urgh. Publicity stunts like this really annoy me. Why don't they ever do a story about it that's true for once?
But I thought you'd like this seeing as it's about ghosts, horror and unbelievable crap!

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah maybe if the ride was horror themed. But what's a headless monk got to do with a water ride? :p

Louis!

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
They're even more stupid as they've been posting construction updates on on their Facebook page so everyone will know it hasn't been moved at all.

They're not saying it's being moved, they are saying that they relocated to this location because the original location was haunted.

Which is a pile of crap. Seems to me that they are trying to cover up their bad ride placement.

Mark

Strata Poster
Louis! said:
Ollie said:

They're not saying it's being moved, they are saying that they relocated to this location because the original location was haunted.

Thank heavens that some else also noticed that :)

Yet another crappy publicity stunt, but it worked. Its being published by nearly every major newspaper which subsequently tells everyone that Thorpe are getting a new ride. In essense, that is all this is. Making sure people are aware of their new ride in a new way...

And before we get all 'yeah but a monk ghost ain't relevant' go back and read the article again. It is actually very well explained...

The Daily Mail said:
The 64ft-tall water ride, Storm Surge, was originally planned for an area known as Monk's Walk, an old footpath that has linked the ruins of nearby Chertsey Abbey to Thorpe Church since AD666.

Note the clever use of the year AD666... I mean seriously?

As people who follow this stuff we know full well that no planning was ever submitted for the ride to go over there what so ever.

The way I see it, they are going down the route of making cheap and easy PR work for them. A bizarre and frankly bollox story that will basically tell people they are building something new.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ and it'll work. GP will be reminded of Thorpe nicely before opening or they might even think "I fancy a new ride" and go this year. And because it works and is cheap they'll keep doing it. Well played I say, they're winning all round. The industry is gaining from it and our hobby will keep going. So I for one look forward to another 15 amazing Merlin publicity stunts this season.

Lofty

CF Legend
Oh, dear, no.

This is absolutely terrible. I mean, the funny thing is, I haven't been to Fright Nights, but, hasn't Hellgate got Monk characters in? It makes me laugh how that image has X's building & Hellgate in the background. Hmm, not exactly intuitive is it?

Ollie

CF Legend
Seems like they're running out of ideas as well. I mean we haven't had a publicity stunt about ouija boards and spirits since Saw the Ride was due to open. :p

Ben

CF Legend
Isn't this just one of the stunts they pulled for Th13teen with some names altered? God sake...