What's new

Another Crappy Publicity Stunt From Thorpe

bmac

Giga Poster
If I did my math right a basic equation would have the train going about 99 km/h at the bottom of the drop (using 127 ft drop), so I guess the speeds reported in the article are actually accurate.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Constant acceleration equation assuming its falling from rest in a vacuum.

v^2=u^2 + 2as

(v=final velocity [we want to know this], u=initial velocity [0m/s], a=acceleration [9.81m/s^2], s=displacement [38.9m])

Solving for v gives v~99kph.

Nic

Strata Poster
FFS!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/913081-tho ... -the-swarm

Ridiculous article said:
For Freshers’ Week students, there’s nothing funnier than going on Thorpe Park’s most vomit-inducing rides.

But they should probably spare a thought for the cleaner.

After years of ‘sick-shutdowns’ and dealing with angry, puke-spattered families, managers have decided to breathalyse students when they enter the Surrey park.

Those found to be over the limit will be directed to the most extreme ride.

The Swarm, with its 39m (127ft) head-first drop, is ideal for purging the system, according to research by neuropsychologist Dr David Lewis.

Speeds of up to 100kph (62mph) apparently give thrill-seekers the blast of oxygen they need to improve their metabolic rate, which boosts speeds at which toxins are broken down.

‘By putting them on The Swarm, we are confident our guests will have a great, and hopefully vomit-free day,’ said a park spokesman. This week sees a 250 per cent rise in on-ride vomiting.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
This might be fair enough actually. Twice I've had to wait longer for rides there while the staff mopped up some teenage lads' sick (although, bizarrely, those rides were Loggers Leap and Storm Surge).

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
**** students,what about the 30-something year olds who might be hungover? Hangovers become a lot worse when you're 30. I'm quite happy to test this theory for over-30's if they supply me with unlimited premium ale and unlimited access to Swarm.

Ethan

Strata Poster
This makes me hate Thorpe more </3 That reminds me, I need to book Fright Night tickets soon...

bmac

Giga Poster
Yeah I really do want to travel to a park just so I can vomit my brains out. I'm not some kind of person that barely eats and ends up sitting over a toilet with my fingers jammed in my mouth just to vomit. Nah, I'm pretty sure someone would react that way. I really want a park in the U.S. that does this style of advertisements, it keeps things interesting and it'll be good to make fun of them instead of just slamming parks that can't advertise for sin (KD, BGW, GAdv </3).

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's amazing though, they know their target audience to a tee and they play on it perfectly. So many people have been talking and laughing about it, and it makes Thorpe seem like an accessible kind of company that 'gets' what their target audience are about. It kind of gives the impression that Thorpe is run by the kind of people who go there, and therefore their needs will be met perfectly. I love Thorpe's PR stunts, they're amazing <3

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
It's amazing though, they know their target audience to a tee and they play on it perfectly. So many people have been talking and laughing about it, and it makes Thorpe seem like an accessible kind of company that 'gets' what their target audience are about. It kind of gives the impression that Thorpe is run by the kind of people who go there, and therefore their needs will be met perfectly. I love Thorpe's PR stunts, they're amazing <3

QFT.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Joey said:
^ Looks like the publicity works then.

Yeah. To be honest compared to most people on CF, I consider myself a member of the GP when it comes to Theme Parks. I don't know everything technical about them (don't want to either), and I visit and view them in pretty much the same way as a non-enthusiast does. Being a teenager, and a sixth-former, I'm in Thorpe's target audience and although their publicity stunts are beyond cringe-worthy, they really do work.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I can't remember where it was but I overheard a woman talking the other day about the publicity stunt where the arms and legs came off the test dummies. Luckily, she didn't look her to see me shaking my head and sighing.

Proves the publicity stunts work though.This new one is pure awful though.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I'm target demographic and I wish to baptise all human beings who assume that we are all mongos who enjoy injecting a form of ethanol into our brains and being obnoxious twats.

Is that a bit extreme? It's not enjoyable being patronised. It's ironic that the things I like are actually marketed towards people older or younger than myself.

The Student demographic doesn't exist imo.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Generally, students are seen as poor kids who get drunk and do everything hungover. Massive generalisation, but that's the target for this and it's also clearly meant to be humorous, students always pole fun at themselves for being poor and hungover, Thorpe are just playing on it.

And obviously there's going to be exceptions to the rule.