What's new

Another Crappy Publicity Stunt From Thorpe

Lofty

CF Legend
This might not have been set-up by Thorpe, BUT, it certainly was endorsed and pushed by them or it wouldn't exist. It makes me laugh, I think anyone would rather ride The Swarm than sleep with that fat ugly prick.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If you read through comments on Swarm videos on YouTube,you'll be amazed at the amount of people who fell for the missing-dummy-limbs things.

It's common practise for a theme park to jump on any "external publicity" they can get. It doesn't end at theme parks either. Yeah, ok, so it is a crap, irrelevant story but it's provoked a few ironic posts here....

marc

CF Legend
All these stunts work as people talk about it.

Love them or hate them your all still talking about the story :)

As Ian said the public know about them so they do work.

Nic

Strata Poster
One for the lads...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... -Park.html

pants_1E_532x355_1551145a.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
Oh. My. Days.

GdO4O.jpg

Andrei from Playing it Straight...

He's a knob. Definately the best stunt the park has pulled though :wink:

Nic

Strata Poster
The article said:
With its G force and terrifying twists and turns — proven to have the same effect on the body as a game of high-impact sport

Not on mine it doesn't. For example, I tend not to come off The Swarm out of breath, dripping with sweat, unable to walk because my knee and foot have packed in, and with two black eyes where my tits have slapped me in the face.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Not on mine it doesn't. For example, I tend not to come off The Swarm out of breath, dripping with sweat, unable to walk because my knee and foot have packed in
So very true, well at least true for me!

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Nic said:
Not on mine it doesn't. For example, I tend not to come off The Swarm out of breath, dripping with sweat, unable to walk because my knee and foot have packed in, and with two black eyes where my tits have slapped me in the face.

Lol, that really cracked me up :p

Bear (or should that be bare?) in mind that this was reported by the Sun, so it will be full of silly inaccuracies.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Nic said:
The article said:
With its G force and terrifying twists and turns — proven to have the same effect on the body as a game of high-impact sport

Tell me about it, the pansies should have tried The Ultimate.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah but I used the one in the article not the one in here. Just realised they're not the same <//3

Nic

Strata Poster
This one's nearly a month old now, but I can't recall it getting a mention. Also, not really as "crappy" as the others, and neither is it really a "publicity stunt", but this seemed like the most relevant place to put it. It's also relatively restrained for The Mail.

http://travelchatter.dailymail.co.uk/20 ... nfall.html

The article said:
Rain and rollercoasters make for a thrill-seekers dream as rides speed up

June’s rainy weather might not have tempted you outdoors and into a Theme Park, but it seems the almost-constant downpours were actually an advantage for adrenaline junkies.

Thorpe Park reported that the extreme weather conditions caused its new ride The Swarm, which opened this year, to reach an increased top speed of 103km per hour, 11km per hour faster than normal.

The new ride, which boasts a 127ft head first drop, not to mention five 'gut-wrenching' inversions, usually trundles along at a more moderate 92km per hour.

Mike Vallis, Thorpe Park’s divisional director, said: 'All of our rides at Thorpe Park are fully equipped to endure extreme weather conditions, but we were really surprised by how much The Swarm increased in speed last month.

'Rainy conditions are generally known to affect the speed of any steel rollercoaster, but the suddenness of June’s downpours went some way in intensifying the experience for riders - a terrifying thing for some, a thrill-seeker’s dream for others!'

Adrenaline junkies could be the only ones praying for more rain this summer.

So, whilst I'm sure none of us would argue against coasters being faster in the rain, do those figures sound accurate? 11km is about 6.8 miles. 103km is 64 miles. Now, 64mph sounds very fast for The Swarm. In fact, so does 57mph (92kmph).

Despite all my speculation, it's nice to see a slightly more sensible story. Especially coming from The Mail. Blatantly just there to try and get people to keep going whilst the weather is ****, but, nevermind. That's what PR is for, afterall.