What's new

Alton Towers ride closures

NemesisRider

Roller Poster
My personal prediction is that in 2017 we could see a MACK water coaster. I will admit, it's a shot in the dark but it would give them, honestly, a much better water ride that also could have the adjustable splash for when we have the usual terrible English weather. I guess I'm sad to see it go but, if it's replaced by something better in 2017 or later, I'm not that sad to see it go. I didn't ride that much to be honest!

T0M

Hyper Poster
Some people seem to think that the 2017 'big' investment has been put back in light of the Smiler crash...but all the presentations and things I've seen from Merlin say they aren't adjusting their strategy. Indeed, you could take the view that something new and big is needed now more than ever to help the park recover.

Martyn B

CF Legend
A Mack Water coaster would be quite ideal really. Keeps up a bit of variety and they're good for the whole family.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Well that's ****, as much as I want a new coaster I'm gutted that it's at the expense of the flume. I find log flumes in general so nostalgic, there is nothing that matches hopping on with four mates on a grey british day, everyone trying to avoid the water and the laughs that come with it. I'm not sure there's a family in the UK that doesn't have a log flume ORP on display somewhere in their house. They truly are iconic rides that anyone can enjoy. Such a shame that both are being retired at the same time as so few people managed to get in last rides before their fate was sealed. Genuinely **** you Merlin. This is ****. If there isn't a coaster on either of the sites in the next 5 years then they will have seriously pissed off their customers.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The water coaster rumour - that's been around years. Always assumed it was just enthusiast logic and not a rumour, though.

I'd be surprised if we get our RMC now. I hope we do, but if they were reserved about the perception of wood as unsafe before, which we know to be fact, then they're definitely gonna be wary now, even years down the line.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Sad to see such a classic ride go, but as long as they replace it with something just as good or better then I'm happy with that. I think it should be another water ride in that area, since that part of the park has always bee associated with those type of rides, so some kind of water coaster would seem a good move.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a water coaster rumour, I just think it's very good idea that makes a lot of sense.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Back in 2010ish, there were a couple of posters in a shop in Mutiny Bay which suggested that the "Flume's days were numbered" and "Captain Black was importing a secret weapon from Europe". That's the first I heard of the water coaster rumour.

The posters were made by management though to tease enthusiasts, and were in no way meant to be serious.

Ben

CF Legend
Please can someone explain to me the pros of a water coaster, at Alton Towers, in 2017.

Please tell me how a ride technology that's nearly 20 years old by then will bail them out of the **** show they're in.

So much more sense than a **** RMC, yah.

davidm

Strata Poster
Sad to see the flume go... queue-ing 2 hours for it in its opening season; one of of my earlier theme park memories. :(

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Ben said:
Please tell me how a ride technology that's nearly 20 years old by then will bail them out of the **** show they're in.

But the GP doesn't know the tech is nearly 20 years old. Why would that mean the GP wouldn't like it? KI added a B&M invert, tech that was OVER 20 years old, yet look at what that's done. Just because tech may be old, doesn't mean it means failure. They could update the tech, or make a bigger Mack water coaster etc.

Ben

CF Legend
TommyAlex said:
Ben said:

But the GP doesn't know the tech is nearly 20 years old. Why would that mean the GP wouldn't like it? KI added a B&M invert, tech that was OVER 20 years old, yet look at what that's done. Just because tech may be old, doesn't mean it means failure. They could update the tech, or make a bigger Mack water coaster etc.

Are you really comparing a Mack Water Coaster to Banshee?

No, a Mack Water Coaster in England, to Banshee.

Still looking for someone to explain the pros of this?

At least it's not like a huge coaster is gonna be built at the same time a few hours up the road.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
The only pro I can think of is that those Mack WC's can be really nicely themed. Like the one at Tusenfryd with Animatronic dragons and cool looking boats.
I guess a non-inverting, pirate themed, family friendly "adventure" water ride is very far from The Smiler when it comes to marketting. Wouldn't be surprised if Alton want to strongly differentiate what they built next away from The Smiler and it's problems.

I'd love an RMC but when do Merlin ever give us what we want! Sad to see The Flume go, really hope they use that huge space for something worthy.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Ben said:
TommyAlex said:
Ben said:

Are you really comparing a Mack Water Coaster to Banshee?

No, a Mack Water Coaster in England, to Banshee.

Still looking for someone to explain the pros of this?

At least it's not like a huge coaster is gonna be built at the same time a few hours up the road.

I'm not comparing it. I'm just saying that just because the tech is old, it doesn't mean something good can't be made out of it.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
I'd think it would be a good idea to market the next coaster to families -- another "bleak" or "creepy" ride would probably not give comfort of safety to the general public.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk