What's new

Alton Towers ride closures

Martyn B

CF Legend
Credit where it's due though, they've been adding new music (from IMAscore) all over the park, and what I've heard of it so far, it sounds pretty good.

Also note the small little Disney-esque touches on fencing:

Ben

CF Legend
No!

Oh, we don't have to think about an actual theme or narrative let's stick some **** stickers up.

Those posters in a Disney park would be temporary on construction fences!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Ok, they don't fit the current theme that well but I do love stuff that acknowledge history like this, even if it is only small. Same goes with the ride graveyard thing at a couple of Cedar Fair parks.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Having just glanced that last picture, I have to be honest I did think they were construction fences at first. They do look very akin to Disney's construction fences.

Dave

CF Legend
"So weve removed/closed 7 rides and added a lot of fencing, that'll be £52 sir"

There must be something massive in the planning, as they will continually lose money if there isn't significant investment made to draw people back.

Lofty

CF Legend
Doesn't Merlin have a basic business mindset of "Don't spend money on it unless it's making money", that's putting the term really loosely. But, it confused me, because if you charge more for less of a product, your payback (refund) rate will be astronomical if the guest experience isn't equal to value for money (which I really don't think it is at the moment).

I really hope that they get back on their feet this year, using a 'slow' year to get the park looking lovely again (which they are doing it seems), and then next year (or the year after) add something worthwhile - not just **** VR on a coaster and claiming it's a new roller coaster.

Ben

CF Legend
Are you **** kidding me?!

That's obscene!

I'm gonna sound so **** old but who else remembers when they did them for free, Disney style?

Ben

CF Legend
^Where is that out of interest? Just I've only ever seen them for $95 or less. Great America's looks like it's randomly loads more than the other parks' so I presume there.

Like, SFMM's is $95 for plat, $60 for silver and $30 for regular.

The issue is you don't get on any of the top four most popular coasters in the park without paying for plat, but, even then, plus the fee for X2 it's like £30 less than Alton's and you're getting MUCH better coasters.

Even in the peak of Summer Alton is open for like, eight hours. And then you still have to wait about ten minutes a ride. So, even if you whore this thing up, you can't get that much done.

It's not even really a case of 'Six Flags do it too so it's fine' - it's not fine, but it's an issue with ALL parks not just Alton.

But, this is the worst offender I've seen.

You know where some of the most overpriced parks ever are? Florida. Universal Orlando's two park pass is £69! Theirs is less than Alton's! It doesn't include either of the Potter rides, but, sorry I'd rather be skipping the lines once on **** Spiderman, Transformers, Mummy etc for less than Alton's all day pass.

It's just, ugh. Who do they think they ARE?!

Of course, you'll need one now because half the rides are shut.

**** SAKE ALTON. I just wanna do this to them...

tumblr_nfpcyb08Ls1qlvwnco1_500.gif

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Who the **** comes up with this ****??? The people who decided on these prices must be really out of touch. Normal **** people wouldn't even consider buying these fasttrack packages at the prices they currently are and I reckon even more upper-class families would think twice. I don't even want to think how much a day out for a family of 4 would be if they all payed full price entry, each got the £95 fasttrack and each spent £10 on food and drink.

And £6 parking on top!

Sandman

Giga Poster
Honestly, I said it on another thread but... Alton Towers is like 2 hours away from where I live YET I can do a couple of days at a European park cheaper than a single day at Alton. Also their opening hours are scandalous, considering it's like trekking through Middle Earth just to get there. They don't even run shuttle buses for non-drivers anymore.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Not defending the clearly obscene prices here, but IMO there comes a price point where anything over that is aimed very specifically at people with money to throw away, and there are way more people with that kind of cash than I'm happy believing.

The amount of people you see flaunting the VIP annual pass lanyard always blows my mind. I just can't believe so many people pay the, what, £500 or so for that thing?

If you're comfortable paying that for Merlin's annual pass, you must have cash to throw away. And the Fastrack prices are the same.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk