What's new

Alton Towers ride closures

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
How many traditional log flumes does that leave in the UK now?

To be honest, it was an expected move. The flume has had no love and has been rotting away for years.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah not too many.

Oakwood
Pleasurewood Hills
Fantasy Island
Chessington
Thorpe
GYPB
Plus a few of them small Wild River flumes at seaside parks.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
There's one at Funland on the South Coast that looks to be better than the average off the shelf Seaside Funfair log flume. Never seen it in the flesh though (yet) so that's just going from a Google maps view.

Temleh

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
Yeah not too many.

Oakwood
Pleasurewood Hills
Fantasy Island
Chessington
Thorpe
GYPB
Plus a few of them small Wild River flumes at seaside parks.

Don't forget Lost River at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Loggers is confirmed to be closed for this season. On the website, Thorpe say they "hope" for it to reopen in 2017. Make of that what you will...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Log flumes cannot be cheap to run. Imagine firing out thousands of Pounds every year to patch up another hole, drain the thing and re-fill it...let alone the water damage to the surroundings caused by the splash. Unfortunately every ride has a shelf life and if it's not pulling in the punters like some if the others, it has to go. That's business.

I have some very happy memories of the log fume at AT but I've not bothered with it for years. Personally I don't care but they are popular with groups so it's a shame to see it go. But most log flumes are all about one thing - the drop. Sure, there is the naked model one at Tripsdrill which is varied and fab, but why would somebody queue for a ride that is a one trick pony and has the potential to make guests wet and uncomfortable for the rest of the day?

If The Flume - and Loggers at Thorpe off topic - is spited in favour of something re-rideable and thrilling then I'm happy to take my hammer and hacksaw on my next visit.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Benefits of a water coaster at Alton?

- flume replacement
- a coaster
- very different to current lineup
- unique to UK
- park location and subject matter force a theme which isn't shipping containers and grungy postmodernism

Not saying it should be the typical water coaster tech, I just mean anything that interacts with water as it's main feature.

I'd HATE it because I don't really like water rides full stop and I've not been on agood water coaster but I think would be good for Alton's audience.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Alex23

Roller Poster
I reckon we'll see it replaced by a coaster and more specifically a woodie. I don't think the demand is there for another water ride in the UK. Especially considering the weather we get, so to replace it with a coaster would be a good move.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I know we've all harped on about a woodie at Alton for the last however long, but It would suit the area really nicely and could have some fab interaction with the terrain. It could also easily be marketed as a non apocalyptic/creepy/derelict attraction which the GP might find a little more comforting..

Martyn B

CF Legend
Towers Street have been saying that Alton have now confirmed that; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hex, Sub Terra, Driving School and Wobble World will not be opening this year!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bloody Wobble World. I keep landing on that square when I play AT Monopoly, chipping away at my Mmmms with its rent. Glad to see the back of it.

Gutted about Hex though. Maybe they've used up all of the different exit path combinations through the Towers so they're spending this season building more. I have never exited Hex using the same path ever.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ian said:
Gutted about Hex though. Maybe they've used up all of the different exit path combinations through the Towers so they're spending this season building more. I have never exited Hex using the same path ever.

tumblr_inline_miqt5zDkYy1qz4rgp.gif

In all honesty, I'm so sad that Hex won't open, without a doubt, every single time I visited Towers I'd ride it 2/3 times, it's the hidden gem of Towers.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Is Ripsaw fixed and back working? If not, that's actually 7 rides closed this year compared to last.

nealbie

CF Legend
Wait? Spinball disappeared? I'm glad I haven't been since 2012 now! XD

Things really are falling about at the seams. I'm both curious and concerned as to what it's going to be like next week!