What's new

Alton Towers: 10 year plan

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Hmmm, interesting. Looks like the park will expand into the current 'Woodland Walk' hotel area, which is good as that in my opinion, is wasted land, and would suit quite a large woodie with large drops as the land is rather steep. Or of course a Mega-lite ;)

spicy

Giga Poster
Are the plans going to be there for a while or was it only there for a couple of days? Im going AT next week hopefully they will still be there..

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Swat said:
Relocation of Spinball is on that map.

That's a rumor come true.

The location for the relocated Spinball Whizzer is going to be on the South Car park expansion.

ciallkennett said:
Hmmm, interesting. Looks like the park will expand into the current 'Woodland Walk' hotel area, which is good as that in my opinion, is wasted land, and would suit quite a large woodie with large drops as the land is rather steep. Or of course a Mega-lite ;)

I'm going to do a complete write up about all of this for a news item - just need time.

However, they can't really eat into the woodland walk, as it's in a heritage area. They're really looking at the land from air's turnaround to the Golf - the south car park. I didn't look yesterday, but I think there's a lot of ground all around there where they can kind of step into it.

The idea will be to have an all year round area that is available to all the hotel guests all the time. So you leave the hotel and you're right into the park. There's a chance for a new coaster or two, but mostly entertainments, eateries, etc.

When the park closes at night, that area will be closed off to Theme Park guests, but will remain available to those staying at the hotels. Okay, maybe not the coasters, but certainly the rest of it. If they're increasing hotel guest numbers, then they need to give them more to do.

There are some things I think they will definitely do, but I'll list those later once I've made notes :)

Oh, and yes, was just available this weekend.

marc

CF Legend
In other words Furie they are looking to build a "Downtown Disney" area with a few rides for the day. This will no doubt be a family area so I would not expect anything big.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
southend_marc said:
In other words Furie they are looking to build a "Downtown Disney" area with a few rides for the day. This will no doubt be a family area so I would not expect anything big.

Funny you should say that, as it's exactly what I said... There was a very definite, but negative, reaction to me saying that to the guy answering questions.

I moved off the subject before I upset him.

So I think yes, definitely, but they don't want people to think they're copying Disney :)

Better quality images of the plans:
http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/displa ... =536&pos=0

Brilliant, brilliant overly of the plans onto google maps done by DanB over on Towers Times:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... e&t=h&z=16

marc

CF Legend
I think its a good thing in a way as then there are things to do over night as at the moment all you have is the hotel. But if they charge for the area for hotel guests then I would not bother. Then if there is to much sound over night with peole walking around talking and laughing the locals will put a stop to it, I dont think this idea will happen within the next 5 years.

For some reason I have Butlins in my head lol.

I still feel they are not really doing much with the park, it is more to do with getting people to stay there over night.

If they move Spinball what will go in its place or will the area just end up like X sector.

For me the plan has more questions than answers. Other people will say what a great plan, where as some of us that question things will always question the plans.

But its clear there will be no big coasters for the next 10 years, not including the new one.

Thanks for the info though Furie.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Actualy, in 10 years they plan to add 10 medium to large attractions, three of them could be coasters, on top of the 2010 ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blaze said:
Actualy, in 10 years they plan to add 10 medium to large attractions, three of them could be coasters, on top of the 2010 ride.

Not with only two coaster sites on the plan ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
One thing, though. What coasters can Alton add? What is silent, goes under the treeline, and not to mention, doesn't seem like a copy of another ride in the park?

They could get another accelerator (no need for a lift hill). Bye Rita.

Another Invert (thrilling even if it just sweeps the ground)? Not with Nemesis around.

A family ride? Likely, yes, even though there are several around alredy.

A woodie? Too loud.

A sit-down non-launched looper? How? (Blitzcoaster!!!)

They have sort of used all options already. They can't have any towering coasters without making the neighbours go bananas. An eventual launched coaster would have to be different enough from Rita to not detract attention from it. A gimmick coaster like a spinner is already used, and a dark coaster a la Eurosat would take attention from the 2010 ride. Anything drop-focused would instantly get into a competition with Oblivion, same goes for every coaster that goes underground for major sections of the ride.
By the way, let's not forget the Launched woodie... Oh wait, no. Let's do.

The major rides could be flats, shows, dark rides, exhibits, anything, but on the coaster side, there are very few options. It would be very optimistic to hope for three coasters in the next ten years.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's probably a lot of options we'd not think about, but you're pretty right.

However, I was looking yesterday with a critical eye. air is a monster of a coaster - you don't really realise how big it actually is. However, the lift hill doesn't go much above ground. Again, what they did was dig the station into the ground and then have the ride almost a terrain coaster. It works really well and it's something you don't actually think about.

Okay, it's the same thing again, but there's nothing stopping Alton from continuing to use this technique to install larger coasters. We only ever see 60 foot or so of Oblivion too (out of 180).

So there are ways of doing it, and modern woodies don't have to be too loud.

I think 2011-2015 will see new area themes and replacement flat rides though.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I thought there were 3 areas for coasters, one behind Air, one in Ug Land next to SW6 and one in CCL/Coaster Corner.

A wooden coaster is possible these days, and I think the plans mentioned a desire to build one.

ALso, the plans did say new or replacement, so some coasters could go. Nemesis will be 26 in 2010, just two years younger than Corkscrew was, and sadly some day that will have to go...Then there is Rita, who's removal shall be greeted with cheers of applause by me, and I will offer to be the first to hack away at it's track and then piss on it's ruins.

A sit down looper could be possible if they built like Air, and there could be space closer to the entrance if they wanted, especially if Spinball is moved to the new entertainment centre they want.

Ben

CF Legend
Blaze said:
ALso, the plans did say new or replacement, so some coasters could go. Nemesis will be 26 in 2010, just two years younger than Corkscrew was, and sadly some day that will have to go...Then there is Rita, who's removal shall be greeted with cheers of applause by me, and I will offer to be the first to hack away at it's track and then piss on it's ruins.

Them just ripping out Rita in the next few years for the sake of it is about as likely as Nemesis actually being 26 next year.

marc

CF Legend
Thats what I think as well Furie.

The 2 flat rides in X Sector will be replaced, maybe a coaster for the Black Hole tent.

People keep assuming attractions means rides, it does not.

The Sea Life thing is a large attraction, so it could be anything.

Nemesis is the big question, does it have 10 years left? A lot of people do not seem to think so. But I suppose they can keep it going with new track etc.

Rita is very popular that coaster is going no where.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Blaze said:

Them just ripping out Rita in the next few years for the sake of it is about as likely as Nemesis actually being 26 next year.

You know I meant 2019.

Don't want Enterprise to go, but can't wait for Submision to go. Awfull, bollock crushing ride.
So many innocent sperms killed that day...WHY!!!...WHY!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blaze said:
I thought there were 3 areas for coasters, one behind Air, one in Ug Land next to SW6 and one in CCL/Coaster Corner.

This plan includes 2010 - so the coaster in Ugland is SW6 :)

Blaze

Hyper Poster
1994+15 years=2009+5 years more=20 years old in 2014. The plan finishes in 2019, another 5 years, which makes it 25...Maybe what I really meant was 2020...that's why I put the 0 at the end. Anyway, why are we arguing over my maths cock-up?