What's new

Alton Towers: 10 year plan

A

Anonymous

Released today.

Showing at the hotel are the plans, today and tomorrow.
Furie has gone down today, so will get more info later on.

What do you want to happen in the next 10 years?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Neighbours realising something.

From then on, let the park do as they want.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tomorrow Chris! It's tomorrow I'm heading there :)

Will bring back photos and reports, but it will already be online by then from others.

However, I'll bring back stuff CF can use officially :)

I hope that they just stick to the plan, but to be honest, I don't really know what to expect from this. It seems odd to release such a thing to me...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No, but since then they've taken on new management.

However, you are right Marc.

I think it's just a very open format of ideas so that they can gauge public opinion. I doubt if much of it will come to light.

Apart from "replace or install four or five middle-major attractions over ten years". Well, duh! That's pretty common turnover for any park!

A

Anonymous

Oh sorry furie didn't realise it was tomorrow

True Furie, I do think the following will come to light, if not in the next 10 years then at some point.

New entrance area:
As well as towers street entrance, a new forbidden valley entrance for Hotel guests and entertainment complex users.

New entertainment complex, (air carpark):
Cinema/bowling/restraunts etc etc

Expansion to Cariba Creek, much needed as not enough there to want you going back for more.

Replacement for Black Hole.

Flume refurb or replacement

Few new flat rides etc.

neo

Mega Poster
It was mentioned at the Nemesis X event in 2004, that the wooden coaster into the valley would be right for Alton Towers at some point. I guess we’ll find out whether it’s in the near future or not, today or tomorrow. I just hope they don’t spend all their money on hotels and family oriented attractions or baby coasters.

marc

CF Legend
Tbh I take this 10 year plan as nothing, its impossible to make a 10 year plan as far to many things change. As we have seen with the current financial market, new rides come along. The last SW was built over 10 years ago, so I dont expect another big project for another 10 years. Yes Rita was built but thats hardly anything special.

I can not see it mentioning any new ride apart from the one being built. It will probably more about tidying the place up and sorting out things like shops and food out lets. The big question will be will Nemesis last another 10 years.

But thats me, I always think the worst as then things can only get better. I have very little faith in Merlin, they have yet to prove me wrong and change my mind about them. Please Merlin prove me wrong.

Neo I also think the plans will be more family things and another hotel.

Anyway in 2 years we will get another 10 year plan.

These are my views so no need to linch me.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
"Overnight Accommodation
Aim to encourage multi-day strays through increased use of Alton Towers Hotels. Further on-site accommodation will be considered."

what's a multi day stray?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
caffeine_demon said:
what's a multi day stray?

I've had those.

You go out for a few beers with your mates one Thursday afternoon, then arrive back at home the following Tuesday with a toilet seat around your neck and no idea of where you have been.

I don't think they should be encouraging those...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've not looked at the ten year plan and will wait for furie's report and insight before I pass comment, but my predictions are it'll be:

20% hotel crap
10% lick of paint/tarting up
69% families
1% something myself and most high-octane thrill seekers would enjoy.

I hope I'm wrong.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
From the ATA report theres a few interesting points.

- possible relocation of Spinball Whizzer.

-Main Entrance moved to inbetween Forbidden Valley and Gloomy Wood

- Car park beyond Air = possible new coaster site.

- 4 new "medium - large" additions over the next 4 years.

Those are the parts I found interesting anyway. No mention of any work to X-Sector though, which is really dissapointing, that place needs some woooorrrk.

Ben

CF Legend
southend_marc said:
Tbh I take this 10 year plan as nothing, its impossible to make a 10 year plan as far to many things change. As we have seen with the current financial market, new rides come along. The last SW was built over 10 years ago, so I dont expect another big project for another 10 years. Yes Rita was built but thats hardly anything special.

I can not see it mentioning any new ride apart from the one being built. It will probably more about tidying the place up and sorting out things like shops and food out lets. The big question will be will Nemesis last another 10 years.

But thats me, I always think the worst as then things can only get better. I have very little faith in Merlin, they have yet to prove me wrong and change my mind about them. Please Merlin prove me wrong.

Neo I also think the plans will be more family things and another hotel.

Anyway in 2 years we will get another 10 year plan.

These are my views so no need to linch me.

This.

Anyone enjoy riding Thorpe's Boblsed or second Detonator? Yeah, didn't think so...

spicy

Giga Poster
Looks like the next 10 years at Alton are going to be dull. 4 new attractions over 10 years, great...

Looking forward to what Furie brings back!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
4 new attractions over 10 years

Actually, if you read it properly, that was under the "2010-2014" section.

Therefore, it's 4 attractions over 4 years, which, imo, is pretty good, especially as they're tagged as "medium to large" additions.

marc

CF Legend
Not really as the Sea World thing is counted as an attraction, so they can just install things like that. Shows and family things, attractions does not mean rides :(

I can see them removing rides and replacing them with new rides, so the number of rides available wont actually increase.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator